S5000 Player frozen mid playback. Play, Cue and Hot cue buttons not responding

Hope someone can help me with this one.

I’ve got a bug on both my SC5000 players that’s been reoccurring in different updates, venues and scenarios including playing live. its very frustrating and really should not be happening especially when playing live. The glitch is not consistent too either player or layer on each side, its on random tracks and cant be fixed without waiting for it to catch up or turn it off and on again.

What happens when the player bugs out is the layer that’s playing stops (without warning/at random) and all other layers and channels continue as they should. Once your tracks stopped playing (no output/freezes on screen) you cant click Play, Cue or any Hot Cues. Although you can set Hot Cue Points and move the jog wheel you are not left with any choices but to put a different track on a different channel and wait.

Whats going on?

I’ve filmed some videos of it happening and will comment with them shortly.

Few things to add. They’re in a flight case all the time and wired up well and safely.

PROOF

I posted about layering issues here in my thread - Massive List of SC5000 Issues (all with video evidence)

Some of the issues you describe are related to what I posted about.

1 Like

Reading through your op I’d be checking the network cables and which port they are going into. It’s vital which cable goes into which network port.

Otherwise moving certain controls on the mixer, like lifting or closing faders, will start and stop the layers that IT thinks it’s supposed to be stopping.

I agree it seems to be similar issues. Do you use a flight case by any chance? i do and have had trouble replicating the issue outside of the case. Maybe its a heat issue?

Its not that vital which cables go into which port as the manual clearly says it auto selects which channels are used. I insert players 1 and 2 into port 1 and 3 though. They re stock Denon Ethernet cables and is nothing wrong with them.

Why do you think the controls on the mixer would ever interfere with playback on the players?

I don’t use them in a flight case, but I carry them around with them.

Denon/InMusic tech’s will most likely tell you that you have a harddrive issue and need to try again with a new harddrive. That’s their bread and butter for getting out of any technical issue that you can prove them wrong with. They just don’t stress test their products enough prior to releasing them. That’s where this conversation ends.

I’ve proven my issues exist through 5 different harddrives. They literally can’t pinpoint any resolution for most of those issues in my thread.

1 Like

Take a look at the network port explanation on page 4 of the mixer manual. Raising/lowering faders which you think you’ve finished with, could be start/stoping layers which you haven’t finished using (yet)

The biggest problem is it’s a intermittent fault meaning no one believes you/me. It can happen 5 mins in then 7 hours into DJing. Or sometimes not at all. Trouble is it’s a serious bug that’s going to mess up my live shows. Im currently about to send it back for repair but I bet I’ll get it back within 2 weeks saying it’s fine.

Everyone keeps pointing out my drives too but it happens to all my drives and every other persons drive I’ve used too.

Appreciate it but raising and lowering in faders does not bug out or jam up the later I’m using. Page 4 is referring to which link ports to use for each channel and layer. I know how to use all this well.

Thanks anyway for the help!

Another vid of the bug on a different day

Check this bug report and 2 videos to see if this is the same issue as yours.

https://community.enginedj.com/t/pressing-cue-while-track-is-playing-leaves-the-platter-unresponsive/37815

Then make your own bug report about it.

Unfortunately that’s something else but I’ll create a big report. Cheers

Better vid of it in a live bedroom practice set.

Here you can see the hot cues become unresponsive meaning no track plays. Then I try lots of buttons to play the track but it won’t play.

I suspect the more people get into the Denon world, the more these problems will rise to their attention, which is why I made that large bug thread. Believe it or not Denon, some DJ’s use your products for more than just 1-2 hours sets or a 30-second promotional video.

One of my video’s in that evidence thread was during an actual Wedding. If someone from the InMusic/Denon team had this happen to them, I guarantee more eyes would be put on the problem. Like I said before, they don’t stress test their products enough and anyone who refutes this must not DJ with them frequently/long enough to experience these? Maybe we have lemon’s? I’d be interested to compare what ‘batch’s’ our 5000’s came from; I’m sure they could add this to their process of elimination list.

I used my SC5000 4 deck setup on a event, where we had 16 hours of constant music. Over 20 djs played one after another without switching off or any reset. Whole party went well and not even a single glitch. I don’t say it can’t happen, but there are denon dj prime setups that run smoothly since 2017 till today, working hard and getting transported from place to place.

In my humble opinion, looks like a fw bug between mixer and player - buttons look ok, as they change colour/status as you press. Have you tried playing without lan cables connected/one source per player? If it works 100% so it may be a problem between player and mixer. I would try it first, then I would reflash firmwares on both mixer and players.

1 Like

Consider yourself lucky. I’ve used 5 harddrives, 3 5000’s, and two 1800 mixers and still experienced these issues- all through multiple iterations of firmware.

Also, sometimes when I turn on my setup at gig’s, no music plays out of them. I have to reboot the entire setup, up to 2-3 times to get it to work properly. I can’t even make this stuff up, I have endless videos of all these problems.

I posted my share of issues. Couple got fixed, others were expected behaviour and others nobody can recreate.

I can control both layers on my deck at the same time at will. I can get no response from both layers on my deck at will. Maybe I can find a way to make them look like features :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

I can a/b mix without encountering issues but when I want to make a cool mash up performance video that’s when I start spotting things.

Could be the reason why we don’t see much cool videos with the gear.