Return BPM to 3 decimal in Engine Dj 2.0

I upgraded to Engine Dj version 2.0 the other day.

Everything is fine, but now the BPM is marked with two decimal places instead of three, example, 145,000 before, 145.00 now.

In several vinyl rips, in Traktor it gives me 147.779 and Engine Dj 147.77, with which at some point in the song the GRID BPM gets out of adjustment and I no longer have the possibility of making a “fine adjustment” by entering the BPM manually.

Any ideas?

1 Like

For vinyl rips and accounting for wow and flutter do the tracks grid stay on beat in Traktor?

If you try a 2 pass analysis (analysis firsts and reanalysis second) in Engine DJ 2.0 for the track in question irrespective of it not displaying the 3rd digit, what was the result?

:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply @mufasa.

I have not imported the collection from Traktor, I created it from scratch in Engine Prime, so all music is analyzed in Engine Prime.

What I do is that I take the BPM that it gives me in Traktor since it does not deviate from the GRID and I paste them in Engine Prime, with which the GRID in Engine Prime remains solid.

1 Like

Did you test with running the 2 pass analysis workaround in Engine DJ 2.0?

Yes, and set the same BPM.

Im back to 1.6.1 and later downgrade the prime 4 to 1.6.2 OS.

Yup this. People wanting 3 decimal places for any music is nuts. The idea for a vinyl rip it will be accurate is insane. Vinyl moves all over the place.

1 Like

As someone who mixes completely manually and only uses the BPM as a guide for where in my set I’ll play the track. Can you explain what the issue is here with this decimal place? I can’t work out what practical situation it would matter?

Not always, if a correct work was done in the studio, the vinyl does not go wrong anywhere.

Also, the three decimal places were already in 1.X.X, I don’t know why to remove that option instead of leaving it as it was, many of us use it.

Here’s an example, left side, ripping from my vinyl, right side, digitally purchased track:

@STU-C To play with Prime 4 I use sync, to play adjusting the pitch manually I already have the Technics.

Prime 4 gives me the convenience of going to play places where there are no turntables.

1 Like

You are clearly not familiar with wow and flutter as somebody else had mentioned.

Well, I don’t know what wow and flutter mean in your language, the same in mine is said differently.

I think when you mean flutter it’s the turntable fluctuation in speed, but im probably wrong.

But it doesn’t go with the conversation either, I just complain that if before the BPM was with 3 decimal places and it worked for me and other people, why do they change it?

1 Like

Wows are where the turntable accidentally /unintentionally goes faster than it should.

Flutters are where the turntable accidentally/unintentionally goes slower than it should.

It’s typical on vinyl decks to have many dozens of both wows and flutters every minute… ultimately cancelling each other out over any measured time period.

1 Like

With vinyl, there are many things happening after the track leaves the studio, which are not under control of the artist/producer.

Even if the track has an exact tempo when it leaves the studio:

1. The groove needs to be cut perfectly central on the master. 2) The lathe motor needs to be 100% accurate and steady. 3) The master has to press into the vinyl exactly central. 4) The hole in the middle of the vinyl needs to be central. There are many variables.
1 Like

Can’t you just mix manually on the prime too? If you do it on vinyl then surely manually mixing with digital media is 2nd nature? And far more reliable than using computer software to keep tracks in time.

If you’re drilling down to the level of 3 decimal places on BPM readings to keep tracks in time then it just seems like too much hassle to be worth it imo.

On vinyl rips there are other factors in play like how centred the hole is, the fact the needle causes more drag closer to the centre and the pressing quality that will impact how accurate it is, point being no vinyl will ever be as accurate as a pure digital file.

Apologies PK I didn’t see your reply before I posted, fully agree.

Your vinyl rip will not be the same speed the entire rip, it will change and fluctuate. Having 3 decimal places just will mean you will have a precise, but inaccurate speed.

The vinyl rip question is basically a derail here. If a song properly has a bpm of 147.779 then losing the last decimal place will eventually become an issue.

My sense is it will take a long time for that small of a difference to be audible, though. xxMullixx, how long into that track can you start hearing the difference in bpm? That is if you mix it with another track, at some point it should start sounding bad because the grid is off — how long does that take?

In the end the solution here is to use Engine’s flexible beat grids — set a new grid point at some point in the track before the grid goes noticeably out of sync and you’ll reset the 1 at that point. If your track is super long you may need to do this a few times to keep the grid tight.

1 Like

How many digitally sourced files have you encountered where a producer has made it 3 decimal places?

Man, just nudge that damn (jog)wheel a little bit when you hear first sign it goes off, most probably nobody else would note :slight_smile: I can’t believe this isn’t the case with a vinyl rip anyway.

2 Likes