Replacement Aluminum Prime 2 Knobs

Since being a proud owner and fan of Rane’s MP2016a rotary mixer, I missed the chrome knobs and wanted to replace my stock Prime 2 knobs. Interesting Chroma Caps doesn’t sell chrome caps? I searched and finally found a company to send me a sample of different size aluminum knobs in silver and gold. I replaced the the master out and filter knobs with a larger size. The rest were replaced with a smaller size. The stock effects parameter knobs were left along with the fader contour knob. The only possible downside to these particular aluminum knobs is the center detention marker on the knob is not as visible as the stock knobs. I personally don’t find it affecting my performance or workflow as I rely on the sound I’m hearing, not the actual knob setting location. What do you think?

3 Likes

Looks good to me. Better than the bright multicoloured explosion some DJs use. :slight_smile:

Matches the pitch fader too.

1 Like

Hi, would you mind sharing website/company where you got them from?

Thanks PK! Everyone has their thing. I’m old school I like rotary. Maybe I can use the gain knobs on the Denon to mix with instead of the faders LOL

Tony I’m actually going to sell them since nobody else is selling them. I’m going to place an order and will let everyone who is interested know when they arrive.

These look great. Care to share where you got them from?

Center detent on the knobs can be filled with black paint to increase visibility. Current situation is unfortunately not acceptable for most people probably.

Also, you really need oversize knobs for filters to get that fine control over wet/dry level that is so crucial to sound shaping. Current ones seem a bit too small while the ones on the gain level need to be smaller that EQ ones to avoid mistakes.

Vandetta, I’m going to be selling them as a set. They have to be ordered in large minimum quantities from the manufacturer. Then I can break them down to individual orders for each mixer.

SlayForMoney, Great idea on the black paint. I will test it on one soon. Yeah you’re most likely right most people will need the identification line on the knobs to be more visible. The filter knobs are larger than the others and can only be so large as the cut out on the mixers plate will only allow a certain diameter, no larger. The others are smaller in diameter. Same thing cut out holes in primes faceplate can only go so large. I got as close as possible to the original oem sizes without having to have the knobs custom cnc’d to exact diameter, it’s too expensive. The stock OEM gain knobs are the same size as the EQ knobs they are just a different color. I can change the color of the gain knobs, filter knobs and master out. Thank you for your input very helpful!

Did u get them yet??? Just ordered my Prime 4 system, need them ASAP SIR!!

Would be interested aswell if there are some more information about shipping etcetc. ;)) Let me know!

Sorry for the delayed response. After consideration I have decided to scrap these particular aluminum knobs due to the fact that the center detention mark is not as visible as I would like. Since I’m not 100% happy with the current knobs, I’m researching other options that I feel will be better for everyone who is interested. I’m also trying to find a US supplier instead of importing them. I will post pics of the new aluminum knobs when I find the right style and combination. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it right. I want it right. Best to everyone!

I am not sure if these will work but check this out for the knobs.