Rekordbox import only partially works

I am so glad to see this feature added but unfortunately it doesn’t work for me 100%

I imported my rb collection as a crate which works fine but now when I try to import playlists, it looks like it is doing it but I end up with a playlist showing 0 songs, I have tired all my play lists.

The interesting thing is if I delete my prime DB and start again then import the playlists first they work ok but then I have the same problem with importing the main collection/crate, it shows 0 songs.

Its almost like I can only do one or the other not both, all subsequent imports do not work unless you dump the prime database and start again.

Any ideas?

1 Like

Ive reported exactly this behaviour on another thread… its good to know that its not just me but at the same time its also quite worrying that this hasn’t been caught.

What seems to happen for me is if I completely delete the engine prime database and start fresh, importing playlists from Rekordbox as Crates in Engine Prime seems to work to begin with but after importing a few playlists the first Crates that were fine to begin with have zero files in them…

Even worse than this, if I then select to remove items from my collection in the Engine Prime Crates section I can then never import those tracks again. It goes through the motions but the crates have zero files in them.

The only way I can reset this behaviour is to completely delete the Engine Prime SQLite databases and start fresh… but then the disapearing track behaviour will start to creep in again.

4 Likes

Here’s me one showing how to repro’ing one method of files not getting added.

To make matters worse I have the same behavior now trying to add to a rekordbox imported crate, it makes all the noises but just doesnt add anything to the collection/crate, it seems I need to add new music to rekordbox first then export the XML and re-import it again to get new tracks in to Prime.

This is a big issue and makes the Rekordbox import virtually unusable, please issue a hot fix for these simple issues, you are 95% of the way there Denon!

I think I might have identified a bug where importing to crates sometimes just flat out doesnt work… Instead… try importing as a playlist only if you can and see if that works.

1 Like

Doesnt work unless I totally dump the DB then it works for 1 or 2 playlists until it stops

Update: even importing new tracks to rekordbox then exporting the new XML and re importing it to Prime doesnt work, its like my original crate import is stuck in time, I cant add, update or amend it, the only way is to delete the database and start again, I cant do that every time I want to add new tracks!

ive sent length video’s of myself demonstrating how Engine Prime fails (at least for me) on a symlinked folder and also on a network mapped drive on Windows 10. I can manually fix this by using an SQL editor and fixing the path’s which for them somehow have to be relative to C drive… which is bizzare to say the least. I’ve also demonstrated to them how their main crate database ends up with what look like orphaned items somehow… im no database expert but they werent showing up when trying to browse the crate database… They replied that “NAS shares arent supported” when it just looks like theyve got some path bugs… im not sure what your setup is but this is looking quite flakey… my collection is not on my laptop because laptops come and go… NAS drives not so much. I just prefer to export what I need to thumb drives or SSD’s using either TRAKTOR or REKORDBOX which has absolutely no problem with my current setup… only Engine Prime somehow does.

You can use software called OBS that is free to record your screen then upload to YouTube to demonstrate Engine Prime failing… I’m hoping that if enough of us do this we can get this fixed. YES I want to change my rider but NO I dont want flakey software… If I bought one of these here in the UK with the software side of things in this state it is “Not fit for purpose” and “doesn’t work as advertised”. Please Denon, fix your bugs.

I am also using a mapped drive to a NAS to store the music, I might try the import from a local drive. But obviously this is not a long term fix.

The problem is the mapped drive … Engine Prime gets confused if the share is on C drive and stores the file with a drive letter instead of what I think is a relative path to the Engine Prime folder… I half suspect that putting the mapped share onto another drive might fix this… I haven’t tested this theory yet.

That didn’t work… What you can do here is completely delete your engine prime .db files, import one file from your shared NAS drive to a playlist… look at what drive it thinks its on… it will say the name of the target mapped share on the NAS… then close Engine Prime and reload… The file will then be in Red and it will be listed as being on C: drive … if you then close Engine Prime again and use an SQLite database tool to inspect the .db file (I think its the m.db) you can look at the tracks entries and see that the filename has a drive letter when it should be a relative path for whatever drive it thinks the file is on (Usually C drive)

This is basically a bug, I’ve reported this to Denon and they replied with “Engine Prime doesnt support NAS drives blah blah” … I’m not buying any Denon gear till this is fixed… its a joke really… Rekordbox and Traktor both mange Symlinked NAS shares fine… No doubt Serato will too.

1 Like

I think these bugs importing rb collections are possibly one of the reasons they have delayed the Prime 4 launch yet again :frowning:

No point banging my head against a brick wall with this now the date has been pushed back, I will wait and see what bugs they fix and re-look in to getting my collection in to Prime from RB closer to launch date.

Denon are just suggesting to copy all the files locally… and add them there… not something I can do really… storage is an issue plus ive got Traktor and Rekordbox all hanging off this NAS and they all work fine… I don’t want to go making a whole new copy of my collection as things chop and change daily as I sort through and reorganise things… I’d just like it to work… as it should.

2 Likes

I just had a look at my SQL Lite db and the track locations are all fine on mine, they point to my mapped E: no problem so unsure why my Prime DB is misbehaving

Update: So after more testing, I created a new playlist in RB and added a track that was stored on my c:, I then exported the XML and loaded it in to Prime. I was able to import that new playlist fine so the problem with Prime seems to be 100% related to using mapped drives for some reason! Denon please fix this!

Just adding my voice to say i am experiencing the same issues importing crates as @j141 and @logik1 i.e. importing linked tracks into crates or playlists appears to be working, then reverts to the crate listing zero tracks. In my case i’m trying to import from an iTunes xml rather than Rekordbox, but the symptoms are exactly as described in posts 1 and 2 of this thread.

The fact there is no error reporting makes it especially difficult to diagnose the cause, although, reading the rest of the posts it looks like this problem is caused by referencing media files on a NAS. It’s a shame that Denon doesn’t seem to appreciate what a huge problem this is for some setups.

In my case i store my music on a NAS so that it is available to stream to different media devices around the house. Due to this I can’t easily store it locally on my desktop because it is not an ‘always on’ device. I’m reluctant to duplicate part of my library just for using with Engine Prime because it complicates my workflow and backup regimes. The best solution for me would definitely be if EP was improved to work with NASes.

Has there been any progress in the last year on supporting network shares?

Ive had to work around this by copying parts of my library onto a local USB SSD drive. Even though Engine Prime does now seem to correctly import tracks when drag/dropped from the NAS drive they do seem to still disappear… Its been a while since I checked but one thing that Engine Prime seems to want to do is assign a drive letter to each file, something that a file on a NAS drive wont have… its possible to show that “drive” field by right clicking and selecting to show it in the list view inside Engine Prime. I’ve tried all sorts… mapped network drives, symlinked shares… everything… and they all fail with Engine Prime… which ■■■■■ greatly so now im doing this mirroring which defeats the whole point of having a NAS drive altogether.

Hard to believe that 2 years later this same problem still exists… Denon ■■■■■

What same problem ?

whenever i add new tracks in Rekordbox, then export to XML, import to EP then my previous collection in EP gets emptied while only the new tracks show up.

I cannot find a way around this…

was wondering why my Rekordbox USB was doing weird things when importing into a Denon GO & SC6000M. still no resolution on this?!