Rekordbox compatibility / HFS+

Hello to everybody. I just bought two SC5000 and i am very happy with the build quality and the features. Just a couple of questions:

• i am using Rekordbox, to mantain a collection available for all players. I export to USB and SC5000 reads the database correctly. Anyway, it doesn’t read the Rekordbox grid analysis, so it has to analyse every track loaded for the first time into the deck. This wouldn’t be an issue, but sometimes tha analysis is completetly wrong and it doesn’t seem to be a way to correct it. Am i missing something? Any workaround?
  • SC5000 does not read HFS+ usb keys. But the manual mentions them in read only mode, so it should read it… Why it doesn’t work?

Any help is very appreciated :slight_smile:

D

2 Likes

Its not in the supported list. Could have sworn it was there before.

Thats a screenshot from the SC5000 page

1 Like

Yep, that’s from the manual. Maybe you’ve seen it here :slight_smile:

Ha. Good spot. I haven’t tried it with HFS yet.

When you plug in an HFS formatted drive what happens?

:slight_smile:

1 Like

If you click ok…what happens?

@JWiLL perhaps you can chime in at your convenience

1 Like

Nothing. No source available.

Hmmm. One will assume that the warning should dismiss and allow you to use the drive with an understanding that any changes made on the decks during the performance will not be saved. That’s my interpretation of “read only”.

Hopefully the Denon guys can help shed some light into this.

Native HFS support would have been lovely though. As a mac user I find it faster and more reliable compared to exFat.

Eg I have my main Serato library on a HFS formatted SSD and a clone of it on an Exfat SSD. My library loads up faster when starting Serato with the HFS vs the exfat.

Same SSD drive but different formatting

Yes. Also, the player can’t create the Engine folder for converting Rekordbox library, obviously. But Fat32 is insanely slow… i’ve not tried exFat because Rekordbox does not read it. It ends up in a situation where the only supported filesystem for all players is Fat32. Which is some kind of pain :-). Concerning the Rekordbox analysis thing, do you use it? Did you noticed my problem?

Could it be because of the firmware version? Just a thought… Dont know if the players are updated the the latest, or they are out of the box…

FAT32 has its own peculiar set of limitations minus the speed

Like the single file size limitation, this may not be an issue for a single song or video but if you have thousands of tracks (eg Mobile djs), the denon database db file can reach that limit.

Rekordbox analysis i’m guessing you mean Engine Prime analysis. Only Cues and Loops get transferred when you use a collection analysed in Rekordbox. The discrepancy you see is due to the fact that Engine Prime does its own analysis. You can’t disable this.

It has gotten marginally better depending on the genre of music you play but still needs some more TLC

Rekordbox libraries will not import with HFS+ as it is not possible to create (write) the Engine Library folder to this format type. However, you should be able to navigate to the folder structure.

Does the drive have a name? If not, try naming it.

Does the drive have multiple partitions?

• Yes, players are updated to the latest firmare. Did it yesterday.
  • Yes, i mean that the analysis of the Rekordbox collection isn’t transferred to the SC5000, so it analyse the track by itself. Trouble happens when the analysis is wrong, because one can’t adjust BPM from the player, so you should unplug the usb key and use a laptop to correct it. I have thousands of tracks so i can’t check the grid for every track. I would like to be able to adjust the BPM on the fly, when i load the track.
  • Yes, the drive has a name.
  • No, only one partition.

What about NTFS read only?

https://community.enginedj.com/t/ntfs-read-only-support-on-large-drives/13821

1 Like

I didn’t tried with NTFS. I don’t own any Windows computer so i can’t say if it works or not…

Right. That question was meant for @JWiLL. NTFS does not work as far as I can tell. What I’m wondering is whether on InMusic’s end it’s supposed to. I had assumed they were deleting it off their site because they’d dropped it from the requirements for some reason, like an increasing reliance on writing to the drives. But now he seems to be saying read-only ability on other formats that need licensing to write should be working. I specifically want to use a read-only format so that I don’t have to worry about the drive being altered, corrupted, etc. I put all my music on it, create a searchable EP database on a computer, and I let the units analyze tracks as I go every single time… not that I can turn that off right now :slight_smile: I don’t need to save playlists, cue points, loops, etc. I don’t want to have to worry about whether some database or analysis folder has gotten messed up or the Fat32 file table is broken. Vibration from a mechanical drive also becomes a non-issue when you’re never writing to it. I have a whole bunch of such drives I use on the Geminis.

1 Like

I’m currently using the following workflow:

• Files as 24-bit aiffs on a Pioneer 240GB USB 3.0 SSD disk formatted in FAT32
  • Library management in Rekordbox (grids, cues, loops, mytags, smart playlists)
  • I categorise, tag and set cues immediately on new tracks I receive/buy
  • Export the rekordbox.xml to HD after sync
  • Importing the rekordbox.xml to 3rd party conversion app (for some reason mentioning the app name flags a message and hides it on this forum so I won’t mention it…)
  • Use the app to do the conversion to Prime (cues, loops, beat grids excl. dynamics ones, keys)
  • Keep the Prime library on the same SSD, periodically make a carbon copy of the drive img
  • Never say “yes” to “Import existing Rekordbox library” when plugging in a disk to SC5000

This works a treat and rarely have to correct the grids, cues or loops that I’ve set in Rekordbox.

I never use the SC5000’s or Prime’s internal conversion from Rekordbox, since it still needs improvement and I like to keep my library management in one place.

That’s a great idea! Thank you!

1 Like

@3unned - I came across this problem just this weekend when a friend showed up with a HFS+ formatted Rekordbox flash drive - no dice.

Would you mind posting the HFS+ support request tagged as a Feature Request for Engine OS ?

Thanks much!

Rod.

APFS, HFS + are a format specific to Apple for their OSX and NTFS is a format specific to Microsoft for Windows OS, they are not standard formats! For external storage media, the standard format is Fat32 (doomed to disappear) for storage media less than 32gb and ExFat from 32gb to ++++ these two formats are compatible with all OS.

It will not be possible to use an external USB key or SSD formatted in HFS + with a Windows PC if you wish to read or update our files and a storage medium formatted in NTFS cannot be read or updated with a Mac, unless the 2 ranges of computer have an application named Paragon NTFS For Mac or Paragon HFS + For Windows.

So I do not explain to you all the complexity of compatibility to be achieved by developers for all other software.