reduce database size - Library Optimization ?

I have a externa drive that is seen in engine as an internal drive. I can work with this however also experience that the 2nd linked SC5000 can’t work with this drive as the database is too large…

So I thought lets remove 50% of my files/crates, so I can split the collection over 2 external drives.

Removing 50% of the files/crates doesn’t help as the database file stays the same size.

Noticed an option in engine named “library optimization” maybe this would then reduce the database size. Although the “clean up” lasted for ± 4hours it also had no impact on the database file, i.e. it remained ± 3Gb…

Have 2 questions:

1- any suggestions how to get to a smaller database file without having to create a lot of new crates and drag and drop the files into each (sub)crate. 2- what does the option library optimization do in Engine?

1 Like

When you “remove” tracks from your library, they still stay in the database(s) but marked as deleted/removed. (This is fairly standard practice for computer drives etc already).

The Library Optimisation function goes through the database and really removes the tracks that you marked for removal, thereby reducing the database size.

This is not working as you describe @Gee_DenonDJ: please rwad my exprience:

[quote=“polderboy, post:1, topic:4585”] Noticed an option in engine named “library optimization” maybe this would then reduce the database size. Although the “clean up” lasted for ± 4hours it also had no impact on the database file, i.e. it remained ± 3Gb… [/quote] This “library optimization” was done after I removed ±50% of the files/crates.

I am using a very big collection of about 55000 Tracks and when i analyse all, the lybrary is much too big but it works with a Trick. I First analyzed My complete Collection. Then it did not work because the Library file was too big. It must not be more than 2,4GB. I know that i never ever will need all files but i didn’t want to reduce my collection because as an Allround-DJ it might be that I Need sometime a track of the erased ones. So all tracks need to be searchable even if they are not analyzed yet. What I did: New Library in Engine Prime I deactivated "atomatic analyze" I Imported the whole collection. The tracks were imported but not analyzed. But they are all in the Collection and you can search and find them with the SC5000. Then i analyzed all of my favourite crates. The library File was reduced down to abeot 250 MB and there is a lot of space for new tracks to be analyzed. Thats it.

Now I did about 25 Jobs with it and the tracks i did not analyze before were analyzed on the fly by the SC5000. After 25 Jobs i think now nearly all Tracks I really Need are analyzed and the Library is now about just 300 MB. Lots of Space left and all the other Tracks are still searchable . Works fantastic! If i Need a track that is not analyzed yet i can find it and analyze it on the fly. Nice;)

I connected the SSD on one SC5000 and the other SC is connected by Ethernet. Works.

Another tip by the Way: i have a complete Clone-Backup on a normal Extern HDD (USB 3.0) it is nearly as fast as the SSD on the SC5000.

Sorry for my Bad English (German and T9 on iPhone…) i hope, it was possible to understand me :wink:

2 Likes

Brilliant. I was worried about it because I have a 128 gig thumb drive that I use with my SC3500’s and i NEED access to all my music files because you never know. Your solution sounds like an excellent workaround. My SC5000’s arrive this week but I started analyzing my files last week to prepare. Thanks for the tip.