Record Level Too Low - How To Adjust?

THANK YOU!!! - This… exactly this!! I don’t care about the technicalities. Harping on about technicalities does nothing but add confusion to a relatively simple subject. The OP found his recordings to be too low & asked how to adjust it. No you can’t!! - Why not?? - Coz it’s right! Denon have done it right! WTH?? Reese you specifically point to Reticuli’s post for explanation, that type of technical explanation is what causes confusion to start with. It’s really simple, please can we have a recording level adjustment. I promise I won’t hold anyone else responsible if my recording gets distorted in some places - Im fully prepared to take that chance.

That’s why I posted two simpler explanations. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I don’t have any hands in future features, but like I stated twice before, I’m not against a level control.

We’re just going to “shoot” people here, when they come back complaining that their “best party-night ever” recording was distorted. :joy:

1 Like

Normalization function is the best option for the people too lazy to worry about volume controls on their car or doing post volume alteration of the file later.

Lol - yes. People just leaving their gig & want to listen to their set in the car are way too lazy!!

Haha, thanks - At least I’ve been warned!!

The laziness is not the simple act of listening in a car but rather not wanting to be bothered to adjust a volume control on the car stereo on a brand new raw DJ recording that was just made… god forbid.

Gotta say, that one cracked me up :joy:

Jeez, @crazycraig if the recording is a wee bit on the low side, just turn the volume up. Simple.

This is getting ridiculous now…

1 Like

Ok, sorry I mis-understood what you meant there. All I want is a way to adjust my recording level (on the unit). I really don’t give a rats ass whether you think I’m lazy or not. Considering you don’t even own a P4, I can’t understand why you are even involved in this discussion. With your “superior” intellect, surely you must have more knowledgable people to interact with than lazy ass me? :joy:

It’s actually got nothing to do with turning the volume up. It’s got everything to do with me being able to adjust the rec level. Sadly some people will use basic things like turn it up, to shift focus from the original topic. He has no valid reason for not wanting a rec level. He doesn’t even own a P4!!

I’ve stated repeatedly why putting a record level is an inferior idea to a normalization or +6dB volume boost post function.

Like the fact that when the master knob is at its unity you see exactly what the record level is minus one dB already… right now. The P4 currently does have a record metering capability in a manner.

And related to that above fact that it will be extremely easy to distort the sound of the recording without knowing it if a ± record level function is added.

Here is a video. Might take some time for Google to process it first.

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll watch it. Anything to get the rec level up is good for me. It’s been fun arguing with you, but it’s over now. Get yourself a P4 - they really are great units - they record a little soft for my liking though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dude you’re the one who brought up listening to it in a car in the first place :joy: most well adjusted people would just turn it up in that situation rather than make a a fuss!

Too big still. Rather just bring one sc5000 and a mini mixer… Or just bring all the separates

The prime 2 also have low recording. Hope denon fix real soon on firmware

1 Like

Good stuff, just learnt that dynamic track average vs industrial track.

Thanks. Good to hear it’s useful for someone. Remember to use your ears. Bouncy meter only part of it. Average level and RMS isn’t taking into account frequency like LUFS does. So your ears always have a role to play even just setting the channel trims.

Sure, but I never said I was too lazy to turn it up, I just don’t want to have to crank the crap out of it to hear it nicely. I have a problem with the current recorded level. That’s my whole point here. I tested it & like the OP & others, wasn’t happy. I want a way to adjust the rec level for myself (others don’t have change it if they don’t want to), without cranking up my channel gains & turning down the master to compensate for that & changing the entire way I normally play. All that hassle for what, because someone feels I shouldn’t change the gain structure of my own recordings?

I understand what you saying and stand behind you on the issue. I feel the same as well hope they can address this issue in firmware

2 Likes

And I called it once again, folks.

Crazycraig… may I call you crazy? You’re messing up your recording levels much worse than normal… even more than some of the other people who do want InMusic to add some function down the line on this topic.

I’m going to harp on this topic until kingdom come:

STICK YOUR MASTER VOLUME CONTROL AT UNITY.

I really didn’t want to argue anymore man, but please make up your mind. You say if we want a hotter recording to turn up the channel gains, then at the same time tell us not to adjust the master & keep it at unity. So what then happens to the overall volume at a gig?? It gets too loud! I said… I want a way to adjust the record level WITHOUT cranking up channel gains & WITHOUT turning down the master to compensate for that. This topic is driving me crazy. If the P4 record level is 100% spot on according to design standards etc… thats great, however I & many other would like to have a way to increase the level without it affecting the overall volume at our gigs.

2 Likes