Record Level Too Low - How To Adjust?

Hello Reticuli, Actually when I recorded the song the gain was between 2 and 3 white leds on channel at that time. . Then I played the recorded song and the leds were the same between 2 and 3. Same the original song. So level was almost the same but the sound of original song was more crystal. I repeat, all trims of bass mid treble in flat mode. It was just a test, I will repeat it to be more specific about results. Thank you.

Then the levels matching was basically just a coincidence: you just so happened to put the levels the same on the original track playing out on the P4 as the track originally was. This will vary from track to track. You got lucky in that case.

It sounds to me like you’re one of those people who might either think they’re only supposed to leave their trim-gains at 12 o’clock or you adjust every track peaking at the 0dBVU point on DJ mixers. The channel trim-gain knobs are meant to be adjusted. Don’t just stick them at 12 o’clock and leave them, and as I said many times, 0dBVU on the meters is really only meant for test tones, noise, and very very dense music productions. Anything with a lot of dynamics needs to go higher than the meter 0dBVU point, slightly or a lot depending on the track. And if you want a really hot recording, you need to go even higher… like just keeping it out of the top LEDs if you want it to be close to a commercial recording’s levels.

It will be super helpful if you can do a video tutorial on gain staging for the Primes.

A video is easier to follow.

1 Like

Seriously? Yeah, I can do that.

Has anyone posted a recording normalization feature request for the P4 yet?

1 Like

I’m disputing the “is too low” comments. It’s supposed to be like it is now, because of audio physics. The recording is at least -18dBFS. One might find that low, but it’s not wrong.

The fact that everyone thinks 0 is 0 on any meter or recording, is a misconception. That’s what I’m trying to explain here in simple form. If anyone want details, check Reti’s comments.

Again, I’m certainly not against a level control if someone wants it. I’d probably use it too.

FWIW. See below for a simple metering overview. VU is a mixer. dBFS is a recording:

Modesty is certainly not your strong point.

Unfortunately I don’t appreciate people who think they know better than everyone else (not even knowing people’s background’s or level of education / qualifications). I also don’t appreciate people who interfere with legitimate issues guys have - especially when they don’t even own the gear the entire thread is all about!!

Once again, there you go thinking you know better. You don’t know me, or know how I use my channels gains. Making assumptions seems to be your forte’. I don’t need you to try educate me on how to use a mixer. If I say that I’m not prepared to crank the crap out of my channels gains in order to get a “decent” recording level. Rather just accept that is my workflow. I’ll crank up a gain when it is necessary - not use all gains at 3/4 just for recording. This is exactly why a recording level would be beneficial. But for whatever reason - as you don’t even own a P4!! - you disagree with this idea. I don’t appreciate that at all.

2 Likes

Putting my moderator hat on:

Mod break or should I say Mud break?! :relieved:

All valid points, but it’s going to get a bit personal. I think the pros and cons are mentioned more than once.

“Let’s agree to disagree” :innocent:

3 Likes

THANK YOU!!! - This… exactly this!! I don’t care about the technicalities. Harping on about technicalities does nothing but add confusion to a relatively simple subject. The OP found his recordings to be too low & asked how to adjust it. No you can’t!! - Why not?? - Coz it’s right! Denon have done it right! WTH?? Reese you specifically point to Reticuli’s post for explanation, that type of technical explanation is what causes confusion to start with. It’s really simple, please can we have a recording level adjustment. I promise I won’t hold anyone else responsible if my recording gets distorted in some places - Im fully prepared to take that chance.

That’s why I posted two simpler explanations. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I don’t have any hands in future features, but like I stated twice before, I’m not against a level control.

We’re just going to “shoot” people here, when they come back complaining that their “best party-night ever” recording was distorted. :joy:

1 Like

Normalization function is the best option for the people too lazy to worry about volume controls on their car or doing post volume alteration of the file later.

Lol - yes. People just leaving their gig & want to listen to their set in the car are way too lazy!!

Haha, thanks - At least I’ve been warned!!

The laziness is not the simple act of listening in a car but rather not wanting to be bothered to adjust a volume control on the car stereo on a brand new raw DJ recording that was just made… god forbid.

Gotta say, that one cracked me up :joy:

Jeez, @crazycraig if the recording is a wee bit on the low side, just turn the volume up. Simple.

This is getting ridiculous now…

1 Like

Ok, sorry I mis-understood what you meant there. All I want is a way to adjust my recording level (on the unit). I really don’t give a rats ass whether you think I’m lazy or not. Considering you don’t even own a P4, I can’t understand why you are even involved in this discussion. With your “superior” intellect, surely you must have more knowledgable people to interact with than lazy ass me? :joy:

It’s actually got nothing to do with turning the volume up. It’s got everything to do with me being able to adjust the rec level. Sadly some people will use basic things like turn it up, to shift focus from the original topic. He has no valid reason for not wanting a rec level. He doesn’t even own a P4!!

I’ve stated repeatedly why putting a record level is an inferior idea to a normalization or +6dB volume boost post function.

Like the fact that when the master knob is at its unity you see exactly what the record level is minus one dB already… right now. The P4 currently does have a record metering capability in a manner.

And related to that above fact that it will be extremely easy to distort the sound of the recording without knowing it if a ± record level function is added.

Here is a video. Might take some time for Google to process it first.

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll watch it. Anything to get the rec level up is good for me. It’s been fun arguing with you, but it’s over now. Get yourself a P4 - they really are great units - they record a little soft for my liking though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dude you’re the one who brought up listening to it in a car in the first place :joy: most well adjusted people would just turn it up in that situation rather than make a a fuss!