Question regarding export to MCX8000 Engine (3rd time asking)

Reviving my previous 2 posts as I never got a answer and it won’t let me reply to my own posts.

I add new mp3 tracks to the standalone drive every month or so.

1 - Identify new tracks by date in Windows explorer

2 - Drag to Devices>MCX8000>Collection in Prime and tracks then get packed to the memory stick

3 - Analyze for BPM etc.

4 - Click “export to MCX8000” to update database.

Why does it then take considerable time to rescan every single track in the converter (item 4) when I have only added 10 or so?

Can someone please reply this time @JWiLL

I don’t have an answer, but I have been able to speed up all the checking by clicking another tab. Or bringing an empty playlist into focus.

I will click another tab like the file folder>music or file folder>volume

I have an empty playlist/crate created for this purpose only. It’s at the top of my library. I just click on it after I start any process.

Things move quicker then.

The incessant file checking is a royal pain.

Yeah, the MCX8000 implementation seems to have been a bit of a sticking plaster solution, that’s for sure.

They just got it to work and no more it seems. Not being able to sync back and forth is also a major omission as any cues set while playing get wiped after every drive update.

It’s VDJ that’s really saved the controller for me with Engine purely as a backup.

Engine Prime is like the software you used to get with those cheap digital cameras from Tandy about 20 years ago.

I feel you… I guess it has to do with the fact that there is no synchronization, is a one way process. Since Engine Prime has no way to know what was converted to the old Engine format on the drive, it just work all files again in a one way direction. So if you hot cue some files directly on the controller they will get overwritten.

I don’t use Engine Prime to export my files to the drive. I export the files directly from Finder/Explorer or with VDJ. Then I drag them to Engine Prime, this way the files are already on the drive.

Inside each music folder it gets created a hidden folder that contains all the analisis of the files with its hot cue. So the next time I have to use Engine Prime and I don’t want those analisis files to get overwritten what I do is I change the name of all the hidden folders.

Next time I have to export with Engine Prime I open the new analisis folder created by EP, arrange them by date, copy the new ones to the old folder that I change the name temporarily, delete the new created analisis folder and rename back the original hidden folder back to its original name.

Is a hassle I now, but that is the way I get around so it doesn’t overwritte the hot cues I created on the controller.

I also tried once, just before exporting with EP, selecting all the analisis files on the drive and making them Read-Only then when finished exporting with EP then I go back and change its properties to its original property state, but that was a long time ago and I don’t remember the outcome of the laboratory I did, as a matter fact I will try again to see.

2 Likes

You’ve hit the nail on the head. Everything with Denon is a workaround instead of just working!

I’m happier just to recreate the cues every time but it’s not ideal by any manner of means.

We shouldn’t even need Tuneup Prime or any of the other plugins / additional programs if the Engine Prime just done it’s job properly.

Awaiting Nitebeatz to come along and tell me I’ve got it all wrong in 10 … 9 … 8 …

Denon are a joke mate.

I’m still waiting for a firmware update so it works with Mac update.

Last one took nearly a year.

Unless your on prime they don’t really care, and the customer service is w a n k too

Well it’s 10 days since my question and still no reply, even though it’s my 3rd thread on this.

Tells you all you need to know about Denon customer service and the value of this forum as a communication channel.

1 Like