Probably a simple answer...USB mics?

So I’m looking to branch into having a microphone in my studio setup, mainly for podcast stuff. When I’ve been looking for a simple boom setup a lot of them are USB connections only :man_shrugging:

Can I plug this straight into the prime or is it going to be a laptop jobby?

Thanks in advance :ok_hand:

I think USB-Mic´s will only work on PC/Laptop. Because Denon Prime Series has no driver to use this device. Maybe they can include it … but at the moment, no USB microphones.

Write a feature request, and if there are enough likes, maybe we can have this function.

1 Like

Yeah, I doubt they have all the necessary drivers in there to a) support USB mics to begin with and b) to then internally route the sound through your mic channel.

Personally I would suggest the following setup:

• Use a Yamaha AG03 (or AG06 depending on your exact needs) mixer
  • Hook up ANY XLR-connected microphone of your choice (there is just SO much to choose from and even Blue has some XLR connected models). As the AG03 offers both pad and 48V Phantom power options, even things like (large diaphragm) condenser mics are an option
  • Hook your Prime 4 to your AG03 through the aux (no level control, but you have master out on your P4 anyway) or, if you prefer mixer gain as well, through the channel 2/3 line inputs
  • Connect the AG03 by USB to your PC. This gives you the option of inputting your total mix (P4 plus mic) into your podcasting software directly and simultaneously recording (multitrack I think) all three channels into the (included) CueBase lite software.

While this is a great setup (the mixer is really small, sits nicely next to your controller, offers a nice long 60mm mic fader, compressor/eq and fx options, functions as your external usb soundcard with your studio monitors connected to it and offers much flexibility, there is one drawback. The drawback is that when recording a podcast you don’t want sound coming from your monitor speakers (feedback, audio artefacts, etx.) so preferably you’d want it all through your headphones. While this is of course possible by plugging your headphones into the mixer, where you hit a wall is when needing the headphones for cueing up your mixes, for which you want it connected to your P4.

The obvious solution is to just do your cueing with in-headphone option (split cue for example) and then use the ear with the master signal for when you do the actual transition (might want to use the master/cue balance then) and use the other one without the headphone cup on so you can hear yourself talk.

You CAN, of course, just keep your headphones on when you talk, but when you don’t hear yourself through the headphones it’s hard to get everything to sound right, although practice does help here by recording yourself and listening back and adjusting where necessary.

Hope that helps some.

My 3 cents as usual.

Thanks for all of the above will look into it when I get chance. I’m thinking maybe just post takeover would be easier, however if I decide to record/air the show live then I’ll need to think about the other things you mentioned r.e. feedback etc.

Thanks again, great reply!

I’d love to +1 this.

I have a Blue Yeti and use it for podcast shows and feed it into an iPad with Backpack Studio for iPad. It works anfltreat but would be amazing to just plug it directly in and record the entire podcast on the Prime 4. A podcasters dream.

Maybe one day!

You can’t have usb microphones, because the buttons/switches are routed to analog entries. It is too much complicated to add Usb audio drivers and assign it to a mixer’s switch

1 Like