Prime4 firmware upgrade working well?

I search for a track on my built in ssd and it still takes well over 3 minutes to bring back results! I thought the slow database issues would’ve been fixed by now. Also now on version 2 when I try and scroll down a recent history it takes ages to fill in the songs as you scroll off the screen, in 1.6 they were always there and you could find a song really quick. How can an update be worse :man_shrugging:t2: I am going to have to switch back to the older version because this was an absolute nightmare the last 2 nights in the club. I haven’t encountered any problems with my waveforms or cue points though up to now.

1 Like

Perfect thanks.

I had a similar experience when I let EngineDJ transfer my data across from old EP. I then decided to just redo my entire library from scratch using EngineDJ (V2) and I can’t believe how quick the search results show up now. I have a fair sized library of about 75K tracks and the results literally popping up as I type. I’m actually blown away!! It has improved, but you ‘might’ have to redo your library from scratch to experience this.

1 Like

Wouldn’t this wipe my history though? I have over 385,000 tracks and it took over a week to do it the first time round. My old laptop used to populate as I typed with an old style hard drive instantly, how can this just not do that when it’s an ssd now. I have to make sure I’ve loaded up a track in the other deck before I search because it could take longer than the one that’s actually playing to find anything.

I did my regular weekly (2 hour) radio show last night for the first time since the upgrade. For me the positives (within my prep on the PC) are that the searching certainly has sped up and the workflow generally seems a bit more streamlined. On the Prime4, I had a couple of bugs happen whilst playing last night.

1. The BPM of the playing track suddenly dropped from around 128 to below 100. I was actually sat at my PC answering someone in our chat room, so no chance I accidentally touched something on the Prime4 on the other side of the room…very strange.
  2. When using the sync between deck 1 & 2 and then flipping to deck 4 (where I have jingles), as soon as I played anything on deck 4, it changed the BPM on the playing deck (deck 4 was NOT synced). This has Never happened to me prior to upgrade to 2.0
  3. When using FX2 bank, on one occaision, I called up the AutoGate but the actual effect which played was the LFO. I had to cycle through the effects back to AutoGate again and then it worked fine. This only happened the once, and I do use effects probably 10 or 12 times across both FX1 & FX2. However, it does feel like a bug that needs looking at.

Otherwise, it really didn’t feel any different to playing on the previous firmware.

[quote=“DjDrNick, post:25, topic:35476”] Wouldn’t this wipe my history though? [/quote]. See here: Guidance on rebuilding entire collection using Engine DJ without losing history from old EP 385K is a MASSIVE collection, so perhaps this is just how long it takes to search such a big collection, but I def noticed a difference with my search results after doing what I did. Whatever you decide to do, I recommend that you backup your Engine Library folder before you do anything else. Then you can at least roll back, if need be.

I have it all backed up on 3 hard drives so I’m going to experiment on one of them I think. Thanks for the help though

1 Like

this happens because deck 4 momentarily becomes the LEAD SYNC (master) so the others adapt. It should be possible to select who should be master and who should not. Even if you have deck 4 with SYNC turned off, it still competes to become the master.

For me, there’s more positive than negative impacts from the upgrade. The only issue that impacts me is the missing data (BPM, etc.) from my Tidal library. Nothing else is a deal breaker or broken so badly as to cause me to pull my hair out (I don’t have much anyways). I’m sure Denon DJ is working to get it right.

I’m sticking with 2.0

3 Likes

Thanks DjAj.

I’m only occaisionally use the sync feature, so the process I used seems to match what the manual says: ""To activate sync, press Sync on the deck that you want to control the BPM, which becomes the “master.” “” Not sure why turning to another deck would cause that to compete to become master. There doesn’t seem to be any way to “lock” the master to avoid this.

It’s really no big deal as I said I don’t use that feature massively, but it is strange as I can definitely tell that this has only manifested since the upgrade…

With version 2.0 it is not necessary to activate SYNC on the “master” deck. You can only press SYNC in the “slave” deck and it will synchronize with the master deck. Now you will ask yourself: “But how do I know who is the master of my 4 decks?”. And I answer you that there are some methods:

1. The master is the deck that has been playing music for the longest (in theory).

2. The master becomes the one in which you varied the pitch fader position (if you have SYNC on).

3. Surely (I hope so) in the next releases the guys of the Denon DJ Team will make it clear to us Prime 4 users who is the LEAD SYNC and who is only SYNC without being the leader (i.e. the slave) using some icons on the display.

So if you have the SYNC button unlit, this does not guarantee that that deck cannot become the LEAD SYNC. :wink:

They will surely fix this defect too.

2 Likes

Hey folks, The waveform alignment / Parallax issue is known and we are working on a fix for it. Thanks to everyone who took the time to report it. The main thread can be found here: [Confirmed] V2.0 - Waveforms only sync on white centre line - #72 by alphavicen

There are 2 issues which DJonboard has posted which we’ve been having difficulty reproducing here. If anyone has additional info, has seen these or has any ideas on how to reproduce these issues, please comment in the respective posts:

https://community.enginedj.com/t/missing-entry-in-playlist/35983/2

https://community.enginedj.com/t/missing-waves-in-2-0/35752/17

LIBRARY ISSUE:

• put a track from your library (scroll down and choose a track from the middle of your collection) to a playlist on the left side. ISSUE: the library scroll automatically to the top

HOW SHOULD IT WORKS: when i put some songs Into the playlists, the library has to STAY and not automatically scroll to the top.

Do you understand now?

1 Like

Looked at both video and I don’t have either issue. It’s obvious that he’s had problems (he has the videos to prove it). I’ve played events twice since the upgrade (5hrs & 4hrs) and nothing critical happened. I’ll admit that the ‘bugs’ are unfortunate and shouldn’t happen, but hopefully the team at Denon DJ is on top of it and will be quick to correct them (even incrementally like what SoundSwitch and Serato does).

Regardless, I’m liking the technology and encourage Denon DJ to keep pushing it…just do a wee bit more testing and fix the flaws a little quicker…

Also the buyer should Say : “thank you Denon to fix EVERYTIME the bugs of software you put on the market”. Right ? Unbelievable.

1 Like

Yes of course. Thank you Denon ! :wave:

1 Like

Some of the FX sound horrible too like echo.

Welcome back to the Fanboy community.

@djonboard, Are you on this forum to get to get things right or just to vent? It’s obvious that you’re having issues and it’s obvious that @AIRVince from Denon DJ has taken notice and is sharing your post with the community to help resolve them.

I don’t know if you’ve ever dealt with Apple, Microsoft, Serato, Pioneer DJ, or Rane before. Have you known them to be perfect? Ever notice that they send updates/fixes once in a while?

I’ve read one of your post about an iTunes file. I’ve also had an ITunes issue in the past and it turns out it was iTunes’ fault and not the firmware on my equipment. I probably know the fix for your issue but I’m really not inclined to help out.

Your venting is well documented. Let’s move on to the fix.

1 Like

Where did the crates go? I only have playlists now… i miss the crates!!!