Prime WiFi Hype: Why?

Yeah I just got it yesterday, and I’m slowly getting accustomed to the layout. Thanks for the heads up

Good safety feature

Not sure why it’s mentioned in a “WiFi hype” story

Deleting songs should be password protected. That way You can’t delete someones tracks accidentally (or on purpose).

2 Likes

Deleting songs on the players themselves is incredibly lazy and dangerous. I agree that if it’s implimented it should be password or serial number protected. I frankly don’t like any little DJ players altering my drives at all in the first place.

3 Likes

How about a real login with user level. So we can have password protection, or not ,for different user. You click at first start on your account for normal playing - or the second account for administration, where you can delete tracks, rename tracks set password for normal user mode, or remove password …

also in admin mode you can reset your player to default, do your updates, do your settings.

so in normal player mode, you can only set settings temporary, for that one play

1 Like

I don’t understand why anyone wants these sorts of players doing anything to them at all ever. Buggy, unreliable, unstable firmware mucking around inside your drive? Loco. Formats like Fat32 that are universally read by Pioneers, Denons, Hanpins, Geminis, etc, also have no file table redundancy at all, so any little write glitch can be disastrous.

But Fat32 has capacity limit to 2GB in max filelength. Normally I would also say yes to fat32. Or they have to split the database, if it gets to big. But that lags in speed, than. Better would be, if they would use a copy of the database in work, and if an error occours, they can fix it with the copy of it.

I’m talking about the file table on the drive itself. Having a backup of the EP database isn’t going to fix that. Every time anything is altered on the drive, that table has to be tweaked so it knows were stuff is. All these little writes over and over again…

Fat32 is the only format universally compatible with all these brands. Hanpins don’t write anything unless you tell them to save something. With Wifi having a read-only mode now, we ought to get one for USB drives of any format, too, along with NTFS support since there’s apparently no licensing fee to Microsoft for read-only.

You don’t understand why? I will tell you why: because I want my DJ system to be truly standalone, and by this I mean that I should to be able to play, edit, and manage all my songs from the DJ system, without the need to rely on a PC, which in turn needs a closed software installed in a closed and expensive OS to work. That’s why I need to delete songs from the players themselves.

Why do you see so much drawbacks regarding this feature? Buggy, unreliable, unstable firmware mucking around inside your drive? That’s what you said, I don’t have the same opinion as you. For sure. Ah, don’t forget and you can use backups if you think there is the need.

If you don’t want to delete songs, don’t do it. What’s your problem then? I would like to remember that currently the drives are not mounted in read only mode, if that is what you think.

My opinion is that the ability to delete songs from the players would be a great boost in user experience. At least for me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can get a hundred dollar used laptop with a reliable operating system. What are you chatting with right now, your phone?

No laptop, no power, no DJ

Got it

Well the Prime GO is coming and I guess many people would buy it to do stuff like this while in train/flight etc.

Why do we need to rely on a PC for deleting songs, if that can be done directly from the players? Why some users seem to force the whole community to rely on PCs, dropping the opportunity to do it from the players to all the other users?

Don’t delete songs from the players if you don’t want to, but please don’t say it’s lazy: stating that deleting songs from the players it’s lazy, is the same thing as saying that using mobile phones or computers it’s lazy. The foundations of this affirmation are nonsense.

All that I am asking is the possibility to manage my music from the players. Is this so difficult to understand? Currently it is not possible, I hope in a near future it will be possible. So please don’t impede this to happen, which seems that this is what you are doing: I am not saying that managing music should be done from the players, I am saying that we should have the opportunity to do it from the players and the PC, so each user could choose its own preferred way. You are saying that it should be done only from the PC. To me, this is preventing the technology to advance.

Sorry for this long off-topic discussion, please let’s go back to the main topic.

1 Like

If hard drive space was still expensive, there’s be more justification for a delete option. But hard drive space isn’t expensive any more. We don’t need to delete

Nope We need to copy AND delete files directly on the Prime series, without a laptop/pc/mac. That’s the goal of a standalone device. I put a key with new songs, I copy the one I need on the Prime, and manage and delete the one I don’t need anymore.

2 Likes

I think people are twisting “standalone” into whatever they want it to be.

It’s unrealistic to think that anyone nowadays doesn’t have a computer at home or in their bedsit which they can listen to and prepare music files.

It is realistic to understand that laptops involved with a live performance can introduce issues. I read of one DJ in the last 24 hours who had the laptop blue screen of death on her laptop and she keeps the laptop clean, no fortnite, email or internet on it.

Therefore realistic to see what’s appealing to so many DJs to ditch the laptop and go standalone.

No hdmi out on Prime is going to limit the niche few karaoke and video jocks, but standalone video mixing has been offered before (Numark) so isn’t out of the realms of possibility.

If Denons idea of standalone meant “No laptop in the house” then they wouldn’t have Engine Prime.

Just as “lazy” has been a term used already, by others on the forum this week, I think it could be a term applicable to those who’d rather “wing it” at every gig, rather than “prepare for” every gig.

2 Likes

We need the ability to copy, rename, delete. It is OS Essentials. We want it!

So if “YOU” don´t need it - then “YOU” don´t use it. But let “US” do it without PC … because we want a real stand alone system.

(Maybe we can have an option to turn off the EDIT mode in preferences, if you want to be sure, that “You” don´t accidently delete your files.

But my preferences will be to turn that feature on. OMG.

1 Like

The WiFi story thread got lost and descended into stroppy capital letters being used.

Also I think in that effort of baby rattles being thrown from baby strollers a very pinnacle point was missed.

::::::::::: There are 3, yes 3, very different things being talked about :::::::::

On-player editing was mentioned: that’s where tags, cue point names, loop names, star ratings (5 little stars isn’t enough range btw) can be changed on the player.

On-player adding of tunes has been mentioned: that’s where people don’t want to hook the internal drive of their Prime 4 to a computer to load new tunes. They want to load new tunes, or someone else’s tunes straight off a usb flash drive or a usb ssd onto their internal Prime 4 drive.

On-player deleting of tunes: this is almost self-explanatory. This is where someone wants to not only remove a track from its playlist or it’s crate, But actually permanently delete that file entirely from the drive. I can only imagine that this is due to them finding out live that the track ripped or copied wrong and is jumpy, stutters, or garbled, and they don’t want to risk playing it again, but might not remember to delete it on their home collection and sync it, or due to not wanting to go to the effort of connecting their prime 4 to computer and so the corrupt track stays in their collection forever and could get played badly again and again.

3 distinctly different features.

None of the replies in this story are rejecting all 3 features. Going by this and some of the other stories, the following seems true:

Most people who disagree with any of the above are rejecting the “delete file totally” idea but aren’t rejecting the adding or editing of loop/cue names

Next most frequent, but less, are those who disagree with the copying to and from the players drive of music tracks - mainly with piracy being the root cause for the rejection. Some are hailing for this feature in the name of “standalone”. Some computer somewhere put those tracks onto their mates or their home usb hard drive at some point, so the process wasn’t standalone at all points of generation. It’s like when you take a photocopy of a photocopied photocopy, there was an original thing to computer at the beginning, same goes for “standalone” file copying.

But… so far, I haven’t seen anyone rejecting all three of the on-player processes.

It’s only my opinion but I simply adore the idea of naming the cue points and loop points on the players themselves and the editing of a “marks out of 10” stars system on the players.

However, while I’d like a way of quarantining garbled tracks, I don’t want my fingers (and my beer) having the option of permanently deleting any tracks from my drives, not even with multiple “Are you sure?” Messageboxes

Hard drive space isn’t expensive true but time is. I have 70k files on my internal drive and searching takes up to 30 seconds on the prime4. Because of that I use a smaller USB to play from and only use the internal SSD for some odd wishes when there is no wlan/mobile connection

Depends on the DJ and their style, in some cases.

Your idea of using multiple usb drives is good and isn’t affected by any of the things mentioned in this story thread.

By the way, as a note to mods or admins. This story thread was described as being started off by a troll trying to disparage the amazing WiFi features on the primes. But the story thread has developed , contrastingly, into a useful talk about the on-player editing of loop and cue names and more. Can the mods / admins split the good posts into the useful story that those later comments have grown into, leaving the troll post and the first few initial replies about the troll to die off naturally, or get locked as it should be - ?