Prime decisions

I think I probably know the answer to my conundrum but thought I would still ask! I currently use a mc6000mk2 with VDJ and to be honest it’s a great controller for the purpose of a few gigs a year and doing a local internet radio show. With the lockdown I’m getting itchy fingers to move into a all in one controller (Mac book getting a bit tetchy now with freezing etc) So I’m really torn in what to go for … prime go (great for using in the garden and to use on holidays, mates homes etc) Similar size to mc6000mk2 small jogs etc Screen size good for size of unit. Prime 2 good sized unit but 7inch screen (bit small?) but realistically only really use 2 channels.
Prime 4 all singing all dancing but I’m unlikely to use 4 channels only maybe to use for samples, jingles etc (will Denon implement this in future firmware) Money’s not really the issue.

Heart says just go for the prime 4 so kind of future proof Head says prime 2 does most of what prime 4 does in a smaller unit albeit two channels Prime go brilliant for carrying around improtu sets in the garden etc real shame this doesn’t support Bluetooth

Any help views please

:face_with_monocle:

Reading your contemplation:

PrimeGO is handy but has the same screen as Prime2, which you find small. :wink:

Prime4 has the bigger screen plus some extra options above the Prime2 for a tiny higher price.

Money is no option? If size/footprint is also not an issue, go for the Prime4 with the large screen, never look back. You’re already in the right subforum. :relaxed:

3 Likes

I haven’t seen any of the controllers first hand but watched loads of vids on you tube and read the forums. Very tempted to just bite the bullet and get the prime 4 as you never know if and when you might need to plug in cdj’s etc Without the lockdown would normally visit the store. Is the prime 2 screen a real issue?

I’d wait until you need a system again like after lockdown.

You’ve mentioned no design features that you’re particularly focussed on except for screen size and firing off jingles/samples (sampler ideas already dismissed in other threads as samplers need extra memory). With all that in mind, the prime 4 is really the only big screener with spare channels for playing other sources above two tracks

For me, no, not really. Angle is okay, but Prime4 has the option to change screen angle. Prime2 has a fixed angle. Screen wise: compare an iPad to an iPad mini.

Prime4 is fairly big, but if you have the space, go for it! The jogs have the onair color ring, which I find nice to have. It packs more functions from the BigPrimes than Prime2 does. Inputs, outputs, turntable options etc.

All personal, but I like the feel of the Prime4 a bit more, but that’s because I’m used to the SC5000’s and X1800 ;-).

However, Prime2 is a really good device. Prime2 is more portable of course. It’s only a few centimeters, but you’ll notice nonetheless.

The size of the prime 4 is really the only slight issue but it seems the logical choice to have the option of more inputs etc and the main thing is the price, that it isn’t a big bump up from the prime 2. Thanks guys

Haha welcome, I liked what you said, you have never see primes close at first hand. Better…if you see close enough your wallet will be empty in 1 sec. This is what happened to me… Several video then went to the shop and prime 4 was in 3 minutes in my car. AMAZING STANDALONE PLAYER. GO FOR IT!!!

2 Likes

Yes I did go for it! Looking forward to getting my hands on mine :+1:t2:

1 Like

Source: https://www.denondj.com/kb/prime-2-faq/

What are the differences between the PRIME 4 and PRIME 2 and PRIME GO?

All of Denon DJ’s smart DJ consoles feature Engine OS which offers the same great performance and similar feature set. The few differences are where the hardware controls and I/O differ. For the most part, the workflow experience from one device to the other is identical. Here is a comparison chart to help you understand the similarities and differences between the 3 devices.

Denon DJ Standalone Smart DJ Console Comparison Chart

PRIME 4 PRIME 2 PRIME GO
PRICE (US MAP) $1799 $1399 $999
SOUND QUALITY
24-bit 44.1 kHz :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Frequency Range 20Hz-20kHz :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
MEDIA
Music streaming via Wi-Fi & wired :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Number of USB ports 4 3 1
Number of SD ports 1 1 1
Internal hard drive bay :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :x:
DISPLAYS
HD Touch Display Size 10.1" 7" 7"
Adjustable Display :white_check_mark: :x: :x:
HD jog wheel display :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
JOG WHEELS
Capacitive touch :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Size 6" 6" 3.1"
C ONNECTIONS
Power IEC IEC Barrel
USB Out 3.0 3.0 2.0
Ethernet (Link) :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
XLR Master output :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Balanced Booth output XLR XLR 1/4"
Zone output :white_check_mark: :x: :x:
Number of microphone inputs 2 2 2
Microphone input type Combo Combo Combo
Aux RCA input 4 line inputs :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Headphone outputs 2 2 2
SYSTEM
Engine OS :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Record to any connected media source :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Analyze music on the fly :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Track preview Coming soon :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
On-board music management :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Class-leading time stretch & key algorithms :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Reads rekordbox formatted drives :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Built-in digital FX :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
CONTROL
Aux input cue N/A :white_check_mark: :x:
Microphone EQ :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :x:
Microphone talk over :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Independent FX controls :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :x:
Sweep FX :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Pitch fader size 100mm 100mm 45mm
Autoloop :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Manual loops :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :x:
Number of performance pads 8 8 4 (8 via bank)
Number of performance pad modes 6 6 4
Pitch bend :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Filter :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Split Cue :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: Coming soon
COMPATIBILITY
Resolume :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
SoundSwitch :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Serato DJ Pro :white_check_mark: :x: :x:
MISCELLANEOUS
USB keyboard support :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Tablet/phone charging :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :x:
Internal rechargeable battery :x: :x: :white_check_mark:
User replaceable crossfader :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark: :x:
SIZE AND WEIGHT
Width 28.68” 25.31" 16.18"
Depth 19.56” 16.06" 10.78"
Height 4.08” 4.80" 2.08"
Weight 21.34 lb. 15.87 lb. 7.9 lb.
1 Like

Are there no sweep fx on prime 2 then?

Yes and no, there is a filter per channel.

I just saw there wasn’t a tick or a cross or a n/a in the cross ref table

Can the weight and size be in metric? Except USA and UK no one uses imperial measures… :confused:

Or both … alienating USA kicks a big market in da nuts :peanuts:

Good idea. Anyway, as inches and feet I know from my head, I never get the lbs conversions to metric…

You’ve made a good observation there… let’s discuss it over a 0.568 litre of beer :beer:

2 Likes

Ok had a little play for an hour and first things I’ve noticed (am I missing something?) In sweep fx box at the bottom of the mixer you can’t pre listen to echo and wash only filter and noise? Also none of the fx’s work in headphones on the main mixer at the top?

Cross fader doesn’t work in headphones (ie not waking the family of doing a mix) is it only with phones cue master mix?

I’m sure there will be more but theses came to light early

Thanks guys

You can hear the crossfader function in headphones if You set Your cue mix knob to master. Crossfader isn’t related to a channel like a eq or gain.

Ok great! Any chance of denon updates to have all fx in headphones?

Do a search on the forum. There were some discussions about it already. Maybe there will be the answer.

1 Like