PRIME 4Live streaming terrible sound & interference! Help!

Hi , plucked up the courage to try and do a live stream this evening. I used RCA cables to 3.5 jack through an IRIG and my iphone 7 . The sound was tinny and had a lot of interference. Is there a way to stream with good sound quality . Done some searches on here but couldn’t find a clear answer! Thanks in advance. Rich

There are topics on the hardware you’d want to use to go from the prime to the encoder/streamer. Most are pretty good but the best option is going to depend on your preferences and budget.

Your phone should be able to handle something that can use the lighting connection as a USB input. You’ll likely get the best sound that way.

The software and encoding settings matter too though. Which is a subject in itself & things you may already be familiar with.

Generally if you use a computer rather than a mobile device you’ll expand your options greatly.

One of the last cheapies I used and was happy with for the price was the Behringer USB audio I/O adapter that I’ve seen mentioned more than once. For casual use, used properly, very nice.

Hope that helps at least a little.

2 Likes

Good advice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Plug anything else (within reason) into the iRig amd stream that for a minute or so… see if that sounds the same?

Plenty of other videos and “live” cough cough Facebook and other streaming service videos from prime 4 users all sounding good and deeply bassed and goodclear highs so it’s not the prime 4 inherently causing issues.

Levels are key thing to look into

Also feeding off of the correct output is essential - so don’t use the headphone socket or the beefy XLRs to try and connect to a little iRig

1 Like

Also really good points, not just troubleshooting with other devices but… I guess it’s not all that obvious that going XLR to headphone jack for is, for a bunch of reasons, not ideal.

I didn’t think levels seemed like they’d cause the tinny, sad sound you described - but you’ve definitely got to be sure you’re getting the right amount of signal across that connection, worth a look!

It’s another case though where hardware & software limitations of mobile devices depending on budget, can leave you in the dark where it comes to volume/gain/etc, for now. Seems like that is in the process of changing these days.

I’ve kinda been using my ipad to record and stream exclusively lately. When I’m not being a lazy dork, it sounds exceptional.

1 Like

Had the Same issue. No matter what I have tried it sounds terrible. Just done a live radio stream and it was a disaster on the prime 4. I played the mix through XLR to my monitor speaks and that sounds sweet. To broadcast live i used the RCA master out to 3.5 in on my laptop. p.S my laptop is the latest OMEN so no slug. The quality was aweful and I have tried everything to try and get a good connection to my laptop, if 3.5 jack jack from master is not good enough! what options does it leave me for broadcasting live in standolone mode. Do I really have to fork out and run them with virtual DJ to get over this?

If there is no issue Denon, how the hell do I connect to my butt (broadcasting tool) software to broadcast? P.S there is most certainly a problem.

No one seems to be able to give a straight answer with a solution. Its unacceptable in my opinion for the output sound to be unusable considering these units are circa £1500.00. No doubt its a great bit of kit but I upgraded from my Pioneer DDj800 setup thinking live streaming would be easily done with how high tech the Prime 4 is . Very dissapointed…

Looking back at this thread, answers (or at least suggestions) have been given. Whether they were acted on is unknown.

I certainly wouldn’t be trying to do a stream from a phone.

Deebrookes issue could simply be with the level. Maybe feeding a line signal into a mic socket. We can’t be sure, as the the only description given is “it sounds terrible”.

Levels can be adjusted from the OS, but no one can say if “I have tried everything” includes adjusting levels.

What’s up @Richie2,

The terrible sound issue has little to do with your DJ setup (P4, DDJ, etc.) and more to do with your signal levels and your connections to your computer. I originally put together a video on streaming back in 2012 and updated a few months ago.

You can try serato. its free and the newer versions can put out audio through your laptop.

1 Like

Great point @mufasa! Serato’s latest release supports live streaming.

1 Like

If you install other software, yes. It’s not capable of doing it on its own, like VDJ for example, which has everything on board.