Prime 4 standalone player/ controller

To avoid seeing info and graphics that you don’t wanna stick a plastic bag over the screen

Or your head

1 Like

That would obscure a lot more than a moving waveform and BPM counter, but thanks.

1 Like

Don’t thank me…

…your audience will

In regards to the screen, it does comes with a hard screen protector if you really wish to cover it :slight_smile: However, the large screen is instead of 2 smaller screens. It’s pretty awesome! No it doesn’t support a Mouse, but the screen is multi gesture and you don’t have to reach too far to reach the screen @kradcliffe unless you’ve got really small arms :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Chloe_DENONDJ - can you shed some light on:

• Is it possible to adjust the beatgrid like on the MCX8000? (and will this come in a update to the SC5000´s)

• Can you access and administer/ add music to the internal harddrive simply by connecting a computer to the Prime 4?

• Can you change the directions of the waveform from vertically to horisontally?

Best regards Kim

This may sound lame, but the feature that blew my mind the most in the main intro video was when the ‘hand’ unscrewed the panel underneath the unit and instead of breaking the warranty, attached a 2.5-inch SATA (internal) hard drive.

What?! Other companies must be baffled as to why Denon trusts their customers enough to use an actual screwdriver to ‘tamper’ with the hardware that they just purchased (then again, I’d love to see summaries of all the support tickets involving screwdrivers and, for example, 'it’s a faulty machine because it never said don’t put the screwdriver into the SD card slot - not that it ever read my photos anyway"), but I doff my hat to the Denon engineers for this.

No machine is perfect, but not crippling a machine is a hundred steps in the right direction.

• Yes, there are buttons to edit the beat grid in the bottom right of the deck sections.

• Most likely, that’s how it worked on the Denon HS5500. It would be a nightmare to take out the drive every time you wanted to add music.

Screenshot_20190118-213806_Chrome

The beat grid button is like that of the SC5000/SC5000M/Engine Prime.

In its current iteration it’s doesn’t give enough controls.

The MCX8000 gives better beat grid edit function.

E.g. Holding Adjust + turning the Jog Wheel, One can change/correct BPM errors with that.

Adjust shrinks or expands the beat grid spacing

Thats exactly the same thing I saw, Mufasa :confused: … And thats why I would love if @Chloe_DENONDJ would shed some light over this…?

I´ll just list my questions again, so she dont have to scroll around after them…

• Is it possible to adjust the beatgrid like on the MCX8000? (and will this come in a update to the SC5000´s)
  • Can you access and administer/ add music to the internal harddrive simply by connecting a computer to the Prime 4?
  • Can you change the directions of the waveform from vertically to horisontally? [ANSWERED]

Best regards Kim

My colleague @Jay_DenonDJ will be able to assist with your questions @Engell :slight_smile:

Thanks Chloe - I´ll look forward to a reply from @Jay_DenonDJ then :slight_smile:

Best regards Kim

Hi Engell, regarding your second point on the internal drive - yes you can!

Once you have a FAT32 formatted SATA drive installed (we recommend a 1TB SSD drive), you simply connect the Prime 4 to your laptop and put into ‘controller mode’ (same mode as if you are connecting to Serato for HID control). Open Engine Prime on your laptop and it will see the Prime 4 internal SSD drive as it would a regular USB drive, simply drag playlists/songs/creates across and away you go!

Regarding your first point let me double check with @JWiLL and we’ll get back to you.

thanks J

1 Like

Thank you, Jay… Please notice that there´s actually 2 questions in the first point…

1. Is it possible to adjust the beatgrid like on the MCX8000?

2.(and will this come in a update to the SC5000´s)

I asked the same question in march 2018 regarding this feature on the SC5000s which would (in my world) be the most obvious way to be able to correct the bpm issues now that part works so great on the MCX8000, but have never recieved an answer… :frowning:

Best regards, Kim

@JWiLL I’m keen on the beat grid function as well.

The way it’s implemented on the MCX8000 is fantastic

Shift and Slide helps to correct wrong BPMs in seconds even mid set.

Should I make a video explaining this?

Hi @mufasa,

Adjusting the beatgrid on the Prime 4 is just as simple as it is on MCX8000. In fact, the Prime 4 workflow is more streamlined and gives you more control.

When in beat grid edit mode (hold Edit Grid for 2sec) you can use the wheel to slide the grid. There are dedicated buttons to shift the grid right or left by 1 beat increments. You can also half and double time the tempo as well as reset the grid to its default analyzed position.

@JWiLL

The MCX8000-way gives more control - not only can you slide the beatgrid to the left and right, but you can also stretch or shrink the beatgrid to get the accurate bpm/ beatgrid, for those tracks that EP didnt analyze correct.

What I´ve been asking since March 2018, and a bit further up in this post, and what both I and mufasa is asking now = Will the MCX8000-way (which is perfect) be incoorporated in the P4 and the SC5000´s?

If you dont know what we are talking about, I think mufasa should make a small video that shows it.

The thing you describes that will come on the P4, it more or less the way it works on the SC5000 when in Edit Beatgrid-mode, and thats not good enough when you want to correct the tracks that EP didnt analyze correct, on-the-fly/ at a gig.

Best regards Kim

2 Likes

@engell,

I wrote the product specification for the MCX8000 so I think I understand what you are asking for :wink:

What you are both referring to is a Serato DJ feature and not Engine. The MCX8000 (standalone) only allows you to slide the grid, the adjust button is used to set the quantize value size.

We are planning to bring flexible, variable beat grids to Engine and the Prime Series in a future update.

4 Likes

That is also planned as new feature in future. That ability will likely come at same time as flexible beat grids.

We’re also working on improving our beat detection algorithm to prevent the need to adjust offset beat grids and incorrect BPM.

3 Likes

Axcindently erased my question for the beattempoadjust so here it is, answered as above! The suspension is real.

I think it is important to make further steps towards prime devices being self contained. I was disappointed to learn, that I need a computer to manage my engine library. I was hoping for a true stand-alone experience. So flexible and variable beat grids on the players is something I’m really looking forward to :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like