PRIME 4 search like serato

Thank you for your suggestion, I will pass onto the development team.

2 Likes

Another suggestion, support for USB keyboard and mouse to improve the search experience.

USB keyboard support is already there I think… as for mouse, why? Use the touchscreen, it’s faster.

No, you can never compare the speed and accuracy of the mouse with touchscreens. And, what happen if someone broke the glass of the screen at a gig? It’s a very simple a cheap safeguard.

If you were trying to navigate around a desktop OS like Windows or a desktop Linux distro that hasn’t been designed for touch I might agree.

However, for an OS specifically designed for touch-ui, where every control is big enough that you don’t need 1 pixel accuracy (or anything close to that) then speed is actually better by touchscreen (has actually been scientifically tested in human-computer interaction studies).

As for the touchscreen being smashed during a gig… I’d hope that with a ~£1500 piece of kit you would at least put a tempered glass screen protector on it and treat it with the care it deserves… Also keep it well out of reach of punters.

Then you’re doomed but the onboard control knobs should work fine, imo.

About my request is just add a simple driver inside de firmware.

Don’t waste our time complaining about other users request. If you don’t like it, just don’t use the new feature and keep quiet.

Why do you force me not to ask for a feature or request?

Haters everywhere! Loosing time and complaining about other users…

1 Like

Wow, nice way to keep it civil when confronted with facts…

And apparently, since I’m a hater, I’ll refer you to another post of mine where I explain reasons for my so-called “hating” (actually it’s logical thinking, try it sometime…)

https://community.enginedj.com/t/feature-request-engine-for-linux/12357/6

Again, you still complaining on other users.

First of all, if you don’t work for Denon, you don’t have the authority to judge others users request.

People from Denon will decide on the implementation or not of the users requests, based on many parameters that nobody outside the company knows.

Don’t play that role, it’s too bigger for you.

In the Linux case, It’s OK for me, I don’t have any problem if some user ask for this. Depends on the development enviroment, it’s very easy to port a project from macos to Linux or perhaps it’s just a mouse click on the compiler, you don’t know.

I think you rather missed the point of that post, please re-read paragraphs 1 and 2 specifically, these are general points.

To address your specific concerns:

First of all, if you don’t work for Denon, you don’t have the authority to judge others users request.

I’m well aware that I don’t work for Denon, though if Denon wishes to hire me as a part-time/contract developer I wouldn’t say no :slight_smile:

However, I have spent upwards of 75+ hours researching various aspects of Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) including touch vs non-touch input so I’d say I have enough information to answer the question. Perhaps you think otherwise in which case, I’d genuinely like to read the studies you know that refute what I’m saying.

People from Denon will decide on the implementation or not of the users requests, based on many parameters that nobody outside the company knows.

Correct and I’ve never said otherwise. However, as suggested in my other post, they will likely decide based on a cost vs benefit model. The company I work for does the exact same.

In the Linux case, It’s OK for me, I don’t have any problem if some user ask for this. Depends on the development enviroment, it’s very easy to port a project from macos to Linux or perhaps it’s just a mouse click on the compiler, you don’t know.

Again I think you rather missed the point of the post…

As an aside, it is not easy to port MacOS applications over to Linux, at least for native applications that use the Apple GUI standard of API’s. A simple Google search would have lead you to that conclusion.

Please at least try not to make objectively and provably false claims and do a simple search before making such claims, especially about software development to an actual software developer…

For reference please see this superuser thread (there are also others if you search) - macos - Why aren't all Mac applications easily portable to Linux? - Super User

1 Like

Since denon have proved that they do really listen to customers then there is no right or wrong about what is said anywhere about what people want or don’t want.

It’s vital however that people don’t think of the words “””we’ve passed your idea into our developement team””” as meaning “our development team WILL add your suggestion to the product.

If someone says “hey I want purple buttons on a pink background with all the writing labels upside down and the screen should switch on for 1 second then off for a second then on then off etc throughout the night coz it’s all too distracting being on all the time and I want it to send a beep out through the audio jacks every bpm so my lighting software can work in the foyer and I want the WiFi to log onto pizza hut when I’ve been playing for 2 hours 45 mins and order a pepperoni passion and I want it to log onto Uber 15 mins before I end my gig” then of course, expect a response of “I’ve passed your ideas onto our development teams” but don’t Be too disappointed when it isn’t there on the next, or any future firmware update … no not even if you add the all encompassing comment about how all your DJ buddies have got used to all those features, and how all the clubs in an 123 mile radius of you said that all their DJs want those same features or how every archaic piece of hardware from Kam/Hanpin to Rolls Royce have offered those features on their models since Fred Flintstone did his first gig at The Water Buffalos lodge gala dinner in Bedrock.

By the way, all my dj mates want the platter heated as they often play gigs in air conditioned places and their little pinkies get waaay too cold for modern DJs to cope with.

:slightly_smiling_face::upside_down_face:

1 Like

I just want to press a button and a hand comes out that tickles my (edit) tummy while I’m mixing. If that isn’t in the next firmware update them I’m selling these pieces of (edit) doo doo that do exactly what they said they would do when I bought them…

1 Like

As a software developer I pass that onto the engineering team :joy::joy:

Now I want pizza, thanks.

I think you rather missed the point of that post, please re-read paragraphs 1 and 2 specifically, these are general points.

To address your other concerns:

I’'m well aware I don’t work for Denon, although if Denon wishes to employ me as a part-time/contract developer I wouldn’t say no :slight_smile:

However, I have spent upwards of 75+ hours researching various aspects of Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), including touch interaction vs mouse input, so I’d personally say I’m in a good position to answer the question, maybe you have a different opinion, in which case I’d like to see the studies that refute what I said above.

Correct, and I have not said otherwise. However, as suggested in my other post they will look at feature requests in a benefit vs cost manner, I know because the company I work for does the exact same.

As stated above I think you rather missed the point of that post.

Also as an aside, it is not easy to port from MacOS to Linux - a simple Google search would have lead you to this conclusion, so please at least try not to make claims which are objectively false, especially about software development to a software developer…

For reference please see this StackOverflow thread Ithere are also others if you search) macos - Why aren't all Mac applications easily portable to Linux? - Super User

Think we have some serious lack of humour in this forum of late. Many apologies to anyone that post offended.

Now I must go and get Mercedes to upgrade my car as it doesn’t have self-drive on it, which Teslas do, and I really, really want it…

If we talk about experience and knowledge, I have been a programmer for more than 35 years, in all types of systems and devices. And as a DJ I have more than 38 years of experience. I think, I can give my opinion on both subjects but I’m not think that I´m God to judge the opinions of others users…

In the Linux case, you are confusing things. I’m taking about compiling, not porting. PORT a compiled software to other platform it’s not the same as COMPILE source code to several platforms at the same time. Many newer programming languages & compilers supports this and as I say before, it’s just tick a checkbox with the mouse on the compiler option.

Bye and good luck.

This is now available in v1.3.1.

https://www.denondj.com/downloads

Pressing CTL + F on a connected keyboard will automatically open the search window and keyboard.

2 Likes

So will that search the just in playlist or the whole hard drive? That’s only what it connected keyboard can I do that on the screen keyboard to

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.