Prime 4 Play Buttons Dont Work

If you’ve opened it up, then you have access to the actual switches that sit below the plastic buttons, yes?

Have you tried pressing those switches directly (without the plastic buttons) to see if they function reliably?

This is what’s really kept me from buying in to the Prime series. The failure rate of the plastic mounts for the main switches comes up time & time again. And historically it’s been the same for all of Denon’s hardware.

I’ve got an MC7000 sat here with dodgy play buttons. A few years ago a had pair of the little DN-SC2000 controllers that suffered the same fate. I’ve also sold a DN-MC6000 before the play buttons failed, as I knew that particular controller involved a total stripdown to fix anything.

I’m very close to to ordering a Prime 2 or Prime 4, but knowing those play buttons are likely to fail within a couple of years makes me very nervous.

…Meanwhile, my Native Instruments Kontrol S4 Mk 3 has taken a beating regularly for over two years, without any problems at all.

Hey @prime4user - Sorry to hear you’re running into some issues. An issue with hardware may need some assistance from our technical support team. Could you dm me your info so we can connect you with a team member? Happy to look into this.

never thought about that. i did reassemble back together but the process was easy enough to disassemble and try that again

update: took prime 4 apart again. play and cue buttons look perfect. no signs of damage or wear on the plastic buttons. the actual electrical buttons on the board click but i am assuming these need to be replaced as they are soldered to the board fml.

might try and put some hot glue on the plastic buttons (not much) to see if that will help with activating the electrical buttons better… stay tuned? lol

What you can try is to get some isopropyl alcohol, a can of air and a Qtip.

Under the plastic buttons is the actual switch and when those switches get dirty it usually blocks the contacts hence why you have to keep pressing hard.

Get a Qtip and dip it in the alcohol then try to soak inside the switch and give the switch a few presses. Then use the can of air to gently blow it out. You should see some black residue when you wipe it down. Rinse and repeat 3 times.

This pic even though it’s not a denon should give you an idea what I’m talking about.

This is common issue in most electronics where the buttons are used a lot.

3 Likes

i will try this and get back to you. thanks for the tip!

1 Like

i’m having the same problem too after 3 years. the play button, only after a while i’m playing, sometimes, it doesn’t work, then if i try it again, it starts working again, as if i go to sleep, and if i retouch it, then wakes up and starts … I tried with a firmware downgrade, but nothing changes … the problem occurs only after some time that I’m playing. never at the beginning !! can you help me please? I have to work, I need it to work well , and I ask you, I’m also an electronic technician, it’s easy to open it, and get your hands on. , I would like to redo the soldering or replace the micro switch for play, or is the operation complicated only for service? … thanks

Hey @ROBY_ROBBS - I’m happy to connect you with technical support team member. Feel free to DM me your email and phone number and we’ll get you sorted.

ok thank …my email **************

Please could you help me too as I’m having the same issue

Removed the email address, as the last thing you want is your email address on a public website for all the spam bots to harvest.

1 Like

Hey Jessica,

The quickest and best way to resolve a potential hardware issue is to contact customer support directly: Support : Denon DJ

Vince

1 Like

I apologize it was just an instinct of despair !! you could also understand no? since I work on it, with the P $, and now that I have shipped for repair it will take at least 10 days. for Denon assistance. because a serious and serious Hardare fault on mother board was diagnosed after 3 years of life !!! I did not expect such a problem! with so many years that I have had Pioneer consoles, never had these problems !! I was very disappointed with this Brand !! and I speak as an electronic technician … I have always kept every firmware update in order, and always carefully placed in its bag … but for me it is very delicate in bumps compared to Pioneer !!! now I can no longer work in my clubs, until Denon assistance finishes the work of replacing damaged Hrdware parts, that means, spending money in vain, and losing more business with my customers in the holidays !! that’s a lot of damage in general !!

@ROBY_ROBBS - I can totally understand it. I was just trying to help out. I didn’t know how far the conversation had gone with Anthony, so I made sure that he had your email before I removed it. I get that sending a unit in for repair can be a taxing and stressful experience. I was just trying to avoid having your email inbox fill up with trash.

Hope you get your unit back soon,

Vince

Okay I’m not sure if I’m being dumb (possibly lol) but when I click that link it takes me to faqs and wants me to login again - and now my login is apparently locked and I have to wait - bit I’m already logged in here soi don’t get it

Some feed back from me is that customer services is not friendly to get into lol

yes yes of course, and in fact I asked and wrote sorry. and thank you that you deleted my email immediately. and I wonder why someone above asked me to write the email and my phone if this here cannot be done ? is it a hacker who does phishing? I ask you who are an Admin, it is important to know that you know who comes in here and can write certain things so serious !! I’m new and I trusted the forum, but now I’m reflecting on your words … and thanks to you I realized the gravity of what those people above made me do !! I invite you to report that nik !! I was desperate that day and I trusted … we don’t behave like this … you opened my eyes Vince…thank you, but as a good admin you have to report the case to whoever is responsible !!

Is there an online tutorial of how to disassemble the deck to get at the bottom and clean it add suggested?

I did try to get into the mixer from the front to try and repair my broken channel fader arm bit on talking it all apart I found its actually sealed on the front and the only way in seems to be from the back (for the mixer)

Is that the same with the decks or you can go in through the front?

1 Like

AnthonyDDJ asked to “DM” him, which means “Direct Message”. Instead of posting your personal info on the public forum, simply click on his name and then use the button [Message]. That’s the forum’s system to directly send a message only you both can read.

As for your “hackers” remark: All admins and mods have a shield icon behind their username. Some even have the words “Denon DJ or InMusic staff”, so you know who’s who.

2 Likes

Link to customer support: Support | Engine DJ

Don’t think you need a login to contact them.