Prime 4 "Multicore processor" specs?

So I keep seeing marketing info on the Prime 4’s internal CPU only being described as a “multicore CPU”.

What is it actually? x86 (AMD/Intel)?, ARM? something else? how much system DRAM?

Can we see some specs?

1 Like

Have a look around on this forum, the answers are there. :relieved:

1 Like

Were you think to change the processor of your prime 4 or to add to the RAM ?

What the processor and the ram is inside of the prime, it work very good

No, just curious really.

As used in “low performance devices” :flushed:

Hmmm. very interesting choice.

They didn’t go with the 64-bit A-72 + A-53 RK3399. At least it’s on a module so perhaps it can be field upgraded at a later date if need be. The problem with using an older CPU design like this is the memory components going end of life. But then, I suppose they’ll just EOL the Prime 4 and replace it with the next generation.

Unless of course the memory and the CPU are on the same module and they just plan to offer an upgrade replacement at some future date?

Yay! Planned obsolescence.

And what about the memory? How memory is inside?

Surely the PRIME series project started many years ago and at that time the RK3288 was the best. Unfortunately in the electronic field every year new more and more performing models come out and it is not easy to always be updated in the embedded field because from the moment of the initial choice of the MCU to use, then several years pass before the product is released, therefore it is already obsolete already at the first official presentation.

There are only two solutions: do not think of the P4 as if it were a desktop computer that can be opened, changed microprocessor, added RAM, changed video card, etc .; or it was better to buy a console (like an MCX7000) to be connected to a notebook which can be changed as many times as you want to do it.

After all, to us users of the PRIME series to put music, what does it matter to know if there is an RK3288 or RK3399 inside: the important thing is that our object can do what it has to do, and that it can do it well, without BUG. I am interested in obtaining the final result (play the music) but how it is obtained does not matter.

Probably if we get to know the MCU model used by Pioneer to make the XDJ-XZ work, there would be big disappointments.

1 Like

From my point of view P4 runs perfect and fast. i just asked to know what is the memory inside.

It’s okay if your question was asked out of simple curiosity; but at the end of the whole story, after knowing what changes to you? :wink:

We think of P4 as any electronic object that as it was born and will have to die. For example: would you ever ask Samsung why in its SMART TV 65" it mounted that CPU and RAM model, and why it could not mount the XXX model instead of YYY? Nobody will ever think of going to change the CPU of the TV.

That’s what I meant. :+1:

Back in 2008 when the HS5500 arrived on the scene, people were puzzled as to why Denon had used IDE technology for the hard drive caddy rather than the newer SATA, which was well established and had a 99% market share at that time.

Denon also hadn’t allowed for expansion of the firmware, and it got to a point where (they claimed) it was impossible to update because there was no more room for the code.

1 Like

About TV’s. Nearly all 4K TV’s have 100Mbit wired network. For playing highres movies over the network that’s too slow.

I recall reading somewhere in the Prime series advertising that the processors etc… were way more than required to ensure longevity or “future-proofing” (something like that anyway). So I can only assume that while the specs of the processor may seem underwhelming, it is more than sufficient for what it needs to do.

That would be good indeed to future proof the product. I work in the server industry (product management) and I see daily how fast technology goes end of life (EOL). Consumer companies are also know for creating planned obsolescence, in other words: shorten product life span designed to up sell you to newer products within a couple of years creating an endless upgrade cycle (Laptops and VCRs are a good example).

If I am going to drop $1,800+ on a Prime 4, I want to know its going to be supported for some time and not get scrapped just in time for the 2021 NAMM show. Even now I read that some dealers are claiming Denon is about to EOL the MC 7000 (my other consideration + Traktor 3.0).

Which gives me hesitation as I don’t want to buy into something nearing its end of life. Makes sense?

2 Likes

There’s a big difference between an mc7000 who h has no mind of its own, and relies on a non-denon computer, A non-denon operating system, non-denon software and non-denon drivers.

The prime 4 though is denon all the way through - so no worries on Apple doing something odd, or traktor doing something iffy, or Microsoft releasing something new.

I was about to say thT the only thing you’d have to watch for with prime 4 is what if the coding for mp3 changes, but even then the prime 4 plays about a dozen different file formats so it’s all pretty good.

Nothings future proof for years and years. However, Smart consoles, like the prime 4 are the way to go.

2 Likes

No I cannot behold. Seems to be broken.

What can we do with this information ?

If we upgrade the processor without denon making firmware to utilise a even better processor, we just have a Ferrari in a 70km zone

2 Likes

It was being provided for those who were curious about more information about the processor. I’m not implying that anyone need do anything with it, if you not interested then simply ignore it. You under no obligation to read the document.I do find it facinating that the processor is far more capable than a simple quad core ARM chip. It has HDMI, digital camera I/F, various CODEC and compression engines in silicon (H.264) which tell me that Denon isn’t taking full advantage of its capabilities, yet.

You are partially correct about any upgrade: Denon would have to provide new firmwware.

However the datasheet was for the current RK3288 processor used in the Prime 4. There is no drop-in successor for it from Rockchip, so any new processor module would require Denon to design and release a new module with accompanying firmware. This is highly unlikely to happen as a drop-in upgrade to the current platforms. They are more likely going to introduce it (if then) in a new model when the current products go end-of-life over the next few years.

1 Like

What makes me think of it: if Denon uses the RK3288 instead of the RK3399 how is USB3 handled, cause it looks like that the RK3288 only supports USB2?

There may be an external USB3 controller.