Prime 4 freeze when switching from Tidal to USB

I had a problem where Denon Prime 4 freezed up totally when i was about to switch from tidal streaming to look in my own library on USB stick. I have heard that firmware 1.4.1 does not have this problem. The unit I had that night did have the latest firmware. My question is does Denon adress and find a fix for this problems with freezing in their new update?

never had that problem in the latest betas. could switch ever from tidal to another source without a hang. seems like you have a problematic usb stick or database problem.

but it also could be an unlucky hickup. does it hang ever when you switch from tidal to usb, or was this an one time happen ?

also question: was it a stable version or a beta ?

because betas should not be used in live. so if it was beta - you have to flash it to a final version befor dj’ing out on a venue.

The only time I’ve ever had an issue is when I used a lesser quality USB or if I was on a poor wifi network. I can’t stress enough the importance of using quality USB’s and SSD’s. At the risk of sounding like a salesperson, I totally stand by SanDisk and Crucial products.

As for Beta vs 1.5.2:

For the heck of it, I did a 5-hour gig using Beta 1.6.0 and had no issues. BY NO MEANS AM I ENCOURAGING ANYONE TO TRY THIS. It was a safe enough open format gig at a restaurant that I’ve known the owner for years and he wouldn’t have minded if there was a hiccup or two during the night (there was none by the way).

1 Like

I had a prefect expensive Scandisc usb and 4g router with almost 150-200mbit speed. I have had the same setup all time and never an issue before 1.5.1

1 Like

Prime is also only a computer. So hicups can happen also like on any other device. If it only happend once, then it could be maybe a hicup on tidal itself, which forces the prime to freeze. If you had a springing cd or a vinyl, it is also a fail … things can happen …

as long the prime works fine almost the other times, i think it is ok.

Denon is always working on more stability in Engine OS. I think it will get better every update we get.

1 Like

Just curious of what firmware you are currently running. 1.5.2 is the latest release.

Unfortunately my DJ gear (Prime 4, dmx console and other stuff) got stolen this summer :frowning: :pensive:… Insurance didn´t cover it so it has been bad situation for me. I had to rent Prime 4 to the few gig that were not cancelled because of Corona. The rental Prime had the latest firmware. Yesterday my new Prime 4 arrived and my task is to put new High quality SSD inside Samsung 870 QVO SATA SSD 2TB and moving my Engine library. I will also update from firmware 1.5.1 to 1.5.2 :slight_smile:

Just as a heads-up. The QVO series SSD isn’t the high quality line of Samsung. Get an EVO or PRO.

1 Like