Prime 4 Fader Snapped

Manufacturers hate grey import units - you’ll need to pay the international carriage yourself. Importing to save a few bucks just ain’t worth it

Bop DJ is in the UK so he should be all good with returns, but yeah, grey imports can be troublesome if issues arise.

I imported my Prime 4 from Germany via Gear4Music but at the time of purchase it wasn’t clear it was an import. I suspected it when the dispatch note stated that the tracking had begun and was leaving Germany! The site was the UK version so nothing to suspect and when it arrived there was a Euro to UK adapter in a separate box.

Luckily Gear4Music offers a two year warranty and they deal with everything should an issue arise so the included warranty actually lasts longer then the one year warranty that comes as standard.

Within the European Union, there isn’t import anymore. We have free movement of goods. I.e. no customs clearance, import taxes or anything.

I buy from German shops quite regularly, Thomann, MusicStore and such. Never considered it grey import, nor do I expect manufacturers to through up barriers/borders that no longer exist.

When my MCX8000 needed an overhaul, I actually had to ship it to Germany to Denon for inspection :-D.

1 Like

If id got through two somethings in just 3 or 4 months, I’d stop DJing and start applying for Wreck it Ralph roles lol:

I’ve ordered a few things from different countries a few years ago but I’ve my lesson.

It’s understandable that companies only pay national, not international shipping charge back and forth on warranty repairs. After all, they’ve probably allowed for 1 item in every xxx items to need a repair in its warranty period including shipping it from the owner or dealer to the repair center and back to the owner or dealer but only at national rates.

Here, it costs less than 150r (that’s about the same as three good burgers :hamburger:)to send something almost anywhere within SA (South Africa) but it’s over 8 x times that to send it into even the next country and the same for the journey back. It’s not a dealers or makers fault if I choose to buy something from thousands of miles away from me, just to get it cheaper or quicker than my mates, it’s mine.

I bought it from BOP DJ UK, they wouldnt pay for collection, its just cost me £39 with UPS because the insurance was £20!! Its not a grey import. Well UPS are collecting today, not sure how long they will have them but we will see

That’s a really good price for an international send with insurance. I’m guessing Bol will ask you to pay the same for them sending it back to you in a different country, when your breakage is fixed.

How much did you save originally by importing it?

Would a Innovate Mini Innofader work with the P4

Its within the same country actually its 150 miles from me. I am in the UK and where I sent it was in the UK too :frowning:

Nothing metal just snaps, without an accident like a beer can or light dropping on it, or crazy amount of wreckless force.

The carriage charges have been a down side of mail order shopping since it began. I know it’s sometimes more expensive but picking a shop that’s within driving distance for making a purchase means that the same shop is also in driving distance for if or when you break something and have to send it in for repair.

1 Like

@JWiLL I have only had my P4 for about a month now and already am experiencing some loosness out of one of my faders. I play on this daily and am not very rough with my gear, I use it like you would expect any professional in the booth to us it. I have never broken a fader in my 17 years of DJing and hope this isn’t my first. In the case it IS… Do you replace it with the same faders or is it possible to pay for a better built fader in the situation this is a issue in the near future for me?

I have been following the Facebook group and have seen this issue a few times now. It’s concerning

I’ve heard innofaders are good but I’ve never gotten round to purchasing one…few of my hip hop DJ friends swear by them. I never use the crossfader so have never needed to upgrade.

Channel up faders are fixed on a PCB, so no easy replacing there.

Crossfader is replaceable.

Interchangeable crossfader on a unit like this is fantastic but I am going to be bummed when the ch. Fader goes

1 Like

My fader has broken after a few months, it seems to be leaning and snags on the rail like it’s scraping,am. Covered by Warranty? have a dim 2000 for years as the faders are like brand new!!

My guess is that the first one or two faders you break, they’d give you the benefit of the doubt and replace it or them. If you break three or more faders, my guess would be that no amount of public quotes of “I only treat it gently and handle the faders with touches as light as a feather, used only at home and only for a few minutes on Sunday’s “ would get any more free fader repairs

I have the same exact issue as you. This is actually my second prime 4, the first one was replaced for the same issues. I bought mine through Sam Ash and now my second one had the same issues but it’s passed the return date. The referred me to Denon and I’ve been trying to contact them for over two weeks, everything from emails, tweets, and calling them. I received one email and they never responded to it. It’s actually getting kind of ridiculous. The whole mixer is solid except the volume faders which are made of the cheapest metal I’ve ever seen on a “professional DJ System”.

You didn’t seen gemini, citronic or omnitronic mixers then…

Well that’s more than some poeople get back.

Anyway , repeat faults on parts that can be badly handled probably won’t get looked at as anything other than destructive user abuse. If dozens of hundreds of owners were saying that the faders snapped off in their fingers then maybe it could be believed that the faders were made from paper but great build quality is one of those things that denon is famous for having.

Only 2 people Plus the Op in this post , which is 9 months old , have Said they snapped their fader. Compare that tiny number to the thousands and thousands that have sold, and this isn’t looking any sort of product issue, more just unfortunate lessons on electronics have their physical limits and need treating as such.

Like I said the build is great besides the channel faders, compared them to multiple pioneer setups and its not even close. Channel faders on a pioneer are solid and have 0 give. Prime 4 channel faders could be snapped with one finger brand new lol

Really? How did you compare? Were these “multiple setups” the same age? Presumably all brand new from box, all next to each other in a line, same day, same room, same scientific tests and recently calibrated test gear? Or was it just moving faders up and down and wiggled a bit with finger and thumb?