Prime 4 display freezed and stoped working

Hello. we organized an open air today. after about 7 hours my Prime 4 hung up. the screen was frozen and nothing worked anymore after I restarted it it worked a couple of songs again but then the same problem kept occurring and unfortunately we had to end the event. I’ve never had this problem until now do you have any idea why it could be? I used 32GB USB sticks from intenso for media playback. Using my spare USB sticks also led to the same result.

Greetings from Germany

PS:rebuilt at home, it’s running again. I will definitely test it again extensively in the next few days to see if the problem occurs again. For the coming weekend I will definitely get a replacement controller if the problem occurs again.

I’m not sure what the weather was like for you yesterday in your part of Germany at your outdoor gig, but for me it was 28 degrees in the sunshine. I wouldn’t have expected electrical gear to perform for long in that situation. Was the gear in the sun ?

There’s lots of calls for brighter screens, brighter buttons (in among the calls for dimmer screens and dimmer buttons for delicate eyes) but there’s a lot to be said for just making some environmental adjustments for keeping the gear, AND the DJ cool, dry and un-frazzled. A pop up parasol can be THE thing for DJ and gear well-being.

By the way, for the sake of a few bucks, I’d throw the “intenso” usb sticks and get some Sandisk or Kingston sticks (but not off Ebay)

Thank you for your prompt reply. I just realized that I ended up in the wrong area🙂

It couldn’t have been because of the temperature. Our place was relatively in the shade and all the equipment was under a pavilion.

I already ordered new USB sticks of the brand mentioned yesterday

Ok, so you’ve ruled that one out quickly.

The other thing can be the electrics. Generators can be really bad news. Also sharing power sockets with high load items like ovens, hot tubs etc can give your electronics a really variable supply in terms of current and voltage.

At a more basic level, long extension leads can be more prone to damage and Earth leak / shorts than shorter leads - and often long leads aren’t used regularly, only when you absolutely have to use them, so a fault can take a long time to spot.

Using extension reels still coiled up is a massive no no too.

I used a power station (jackery explorer 500) to operate the controller. I connected the controller directly to it without an extension cable or anything else. other devices were not connected to the power station. I once contacted the manufacturer of the power station regarding the use of the DJ controller with the battery.

thanks again for the detailed answer.

A battery and invertor :battery:!!! No wonder

I’d need tranquillisers and several strong drinks if I’d been asked to play on that sort of power supply. Although it’s got a sine-wave based output, it’s write-up still leans heavily toward charging and running fairly basic stuff … like it says about charging a laptop, rather than running a laptop etc

If it were me, I wouldn’t use that power store again on anything electronic

but what exactly is the problem with this energy source? The manufacturer answered me and said that there shouldn’t be any problems and that you can also operate music systems with it.

It’s just that mains power is generally trustworthy and good for running more or less anything.

I’ve used gear at outdoor events with all sorts of electric supplies, even the supposedly stabilised generators with Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR) and still had problems.

The battery pack makers use the term “music system” for things you can run from their pack , but “music system” covers a multitude of items, from a £50 radio cassette player, to almost anything.

I just think that if you did 50 gigs on Mains and 50 gigs on that battery pack inverter, there might be a pattern.

1 Like

Hi, i’ve had this problem too… freeze and the only thing i could to is turn of and on again. I re-analysed all my songs in Engine Prime again and since then I have never had it again… Think it has to do with bad quality file or something alike… had this on my Pioneer Xdj-RX2 too

2 Likes

so slowly the whole thing is no longer funny now I have the problem even when I have connected the device to the normal circuit. I also analyzed the tracks again with Engine Prime. It worked the whole time until now it works like you can see in the video below, nothing at all. I’m usually a very patient person but this part pushes me to my limits.

Have you tried contacting Denon Support for a possible RMA?

I did that today. But since I have not had good experiences in the past, I will contact the dealer from whom I got the device tomorrow.