Prime 4 2.0.0 - Prepare list issues

Hi,

Very pleased with many of the new features in 2.0.0 especially the on screen clock, timestamped history and most of all playlist mode for those times when we just need to leave background music playing (though shame it needs vertical mode, but I can live with that). However I’ve noticed 2 separate issues with the Prepare list, one is definitely a bug and the other I hope is a bug!

(1) Add tracks to the prepare list from Tidal and they are missing their artist and title in the prepare list! Also, not sure if it’s intentional but the prepare list isn’t accessible whilst Tidal is selcted as the source, but not a huge deal to flick back to another source to see the Prepare list. Once you do open the Prepare list with Tidal tracks added to it, they do not have an artist or title - as per the attached image: PXL_20211006_063057043|666x500

(2) This one I hope is a bug and not intentional - the Prepare list is now cleared every time I power off and back on the Prime 4. Why is this a problem? Well surely I can’t be the only one who gets a long list of requests from a bride & groom and spends some time at home (or even at a previous gig the night before if there’s a band on with me and I’ve some time to kill during their set) loading all the requests into the prepare list so that I can just work from there rather than needing to print the list to bring with me. I’d a look through the settings and don’t see a toggle to stop this from happening - is this intentional? Can we have a toggle to be able to disable it?

Thanks!

2 Likes

The Prepare List is convenient to use because with a simple swipe from the library we can add tracks to the list. However, it should be improved (see here).

I advise you to use a simple Playlist in which to store the tracks requested by your customers, in this way you do not have the risk of losing them.

Maybe if they decide to improve the Prepare List, maybe we’ll get what you ask for too.

I’ve added my vote to that Prepare List suggestion.

Good suggestion, though using a playlist would be a workaround. It isn’t ideal given that the tracks won’t be removed from it once played (I know they’ll turn green) so it’s a bit of extra work to remove everything from it after a gig and ready it for the next gig. Also it’s harder to add tracks to it in the first place, as you allude to, compared with the simple swipe. Hopefully the Prepare List will get a revamp in a forthcoming update but it’d be great if it could just be returned to the way it used to work as a minimum for now!

1 Like

Well, you could delete the playlist when you have closed the event with that customer. It is not necessary to erase every single track. :wink:

Yes, I hope so too, because the use of the Prepare List could improve.

re-order tracks and convert to playlist

2 Likes

Actually you just need a “SAVE AS PLAYLIST” button at the top of the new Prepare List window next to the current one (PLAY AS PLAYLIST), because once you have converted the Prepare list into a playlist you can change the order as you like. :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, of course you can re-arrange tracks after you convert to playlist, but why you force me out “preparation” list to “prepare” (re-order) my set? I think it’s better to finish all inside preparation list, at least basic operations (add, remove, re-order, duplicate?) and when you finish it, then convert to playlist.

maybe I misunderstood the “preparation list” concept. “Prepare” for what? I think it’s very well implemented the “shift + browser” to send track quickly to “temporary workspace”, keep looking for tracks, browser other playlists, switch between preparation list and browser, etc, but after that… I can do almost nothing with it… I call “temporary list to be deleted without using it” at least in my workflow. I’m sure someone use it. I think Preparation list should have all playlist functions because it’s like a pinned default playlist with fast access to it.

I’m happy with last update, they improved so much, but I’m still missing some very basic functionality.

This is what I think right now. :smiley:

Indeed, I was overthinking something that could be resolved with a single delete as you say :grin:

Originally the purpose of the “Prepare list” was to temporarily store the tracks requested by customers during the party: so you can send the requests to the “buffer” and then listen to them later. Therefore that list has to auto-delete the tracks that have been played, because it doesn’t make sense to play again.

Yes, but now we have a more solid foundation (the 2.0 database) on which the new functions will be built.

So yesterday all discussion on this thread was around the way the Prepare list is now cleared on reboot which was problem 2 I reported, and is most likely intentional I suspect.

Does anyone else see problem 1 I reported, which definitely seems like a bug?

About Tidal… I don’t use it… can’t give you any advice… sorry :pensive:

No worries, thanks anyway! Anyone else who does use it able to try adding Tidal tracks to Prepare?

+1 to the question why the tracks being removed from the Prepare list once played. My intention to use this feature is to collect a bunch of tracks I potentially going to play, then I want to review the list. No chance? the feature is like super counterintuitive and useless then. especially taking into account I cannot concoct a playlist on the fly.

Is there a possibility to create a regular playlist on the fly then?

1 Like