Prime 2 - I am starting to regret

For the out of sync. Try the same track both sides. If what you say is correct it will drift. If its your loop or the bpm analysis of the other 2 tracks it won’t

Analysed BPM with Serato, RekordBox, Engine Prime and Mixed-in-Key. Same results. Edited the beatgrid. Went for a live session, but only for 40 minutes as i was a little bit tired and things were not working for me at all. Did less “keep-in-sync” moves than usual, and i said “hm…seems that something is not OK with the software…incorrect beatgrid / BPM detection”… After finishind the session, i restarted it … and things went south again. Same playlist, same order … everything was like new, different from the first time, but in the worse way. At some point in the mix, i decided to give a try to “auto-sync”. Pointless. After 3 or 4 loop plays, everything was out of the sync. Tried to fine-move the pitch-faders from 120.00 to 119.9 or 120.1…no result.

So i decided to test one last thing. I used auto-sync, but the sync was done by the tempo…(not by bars or beats). And everything changed. Basically, this kind of auto-sync is a mix between beat/grid sync and manual sync. You can only press once the sync button, to get a mirror-bpm from the track that is already playing and you can beatmatch as you please, with minor or no interfeerence during transitions (tried a non-sense transition of 4 minutes, i only twice touched the jog to resync).

1 Like

Short update. For 3 days i owned Pioneer XDJ-XZ. Bought it, brought it home - tried to get used to it, no way. I bought it on Friday, on Monday i send it back. DENON rulz. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Think about Denon like Android and Pioneer like iOS (Apple). The main difference is that when you buy Pioneer gear you get 1 or 2 FIRMWARE update over the years and thats all. Basically what you buy is what you get. Denon has different approach. You buy gear (hardware) with OPERATING SYSTEM. Because of that they can add any feature that is not hardware limited in the future. For example, when SC5000 was released the WiFi feature was not existed. After a long time Denon announced that WiFi module is inside and now they enable it in OS. Another good example is addition of streaming services. This is pure software feature and it was added long after SC5000 was released. Who knows what they will add in the future, and the future is bright… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Poor jog build quality was not something i expected, also the ergonomy is way south. Actually it is not a “really” stand-alone console, many of the features and settings were unlocked when connected to a laptop running RekordBox. Loop management is a nightmare and the touchscreen is awfull. The only thing from Pioneer has and Denon is missing is the Sound Colour FX, especially the noise stuff. But not enough to justify the double price. Now i am waiting for a refund.

1 Like

Ah, yeah, the rather ‘strange’ XDJ-XZ. I mean, it’s a badass-sexy looking device, don’t get me wrong, honestly more sleek and ‘mature’ than the rather flashy Prime 4. But the technology inside is just seriously outdated and limited. That tiny, low-res screen, the lack of any SD-slot, streaming, 4 decks, full track buffering, or beat-jumps longer than 8. Plus its more bulky than it needs to be, lots of wasted space left+right of the pads for example. And yeah, with Pioneer you only get 1-2 lazy updates and then they say “Bon Voyage”. The mixer and effect section is great though. Jogs are a personal preference - I hate mechanical ones.

The only thing from Pioneer has and Denon is missing is the Sound Colour FX, especially the noise stuff.

Indeed this already had been requested some times and its my main issue with the Prime 2 (next to the lack of Serato DJ support). I have just opened a new request for adding more Sweep EFX (at least the Wash) to the Prime 2. You can comment and upvote it here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One think I discovered is when you loop with tracks that were imported from, let’s say Traktor, then the loop gets out of sync slowly. It is nice to have all cue points and loops transferred that were set in Traktor but I assume the import from other dj software in general is not 100% accurate. So just go and delete and then replace the loop with Engine OS on your device to check… In my case the loop stays in sync then.