Prime 2 - Deck 2 "stutters" or stops

Hello. Had the Prime 2 for a month or so. Every time I use it, after a few minutes, deck 2 will stutter/stop. A reboot solves this and it doesn’t seem to happen again after the reboot (I have used the Prime 2 for a couple of hours after a reboot with no issues).

This happens every single time I use the Prime 2 for the first time. I can boot it up, play for a couple of minutes, then deck 2 stutters. If I power up, leave it for a few minutes, then reboot deck 2 will still stutter a few minutes after I start using it, so it’s not like I can boot the Prime 2 then just reboot immediately to solve the problem.

The fact that everything is fine after a subsequent reboot leads me to believe that it’s not a hardware issue.

Any ideas anyone?

Hey @pmd99365 - Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you’re running into some issues. Sometimes the decks can “stutter” if the film is still left on or if the jogwheel is somehow being triggered. Try cleaning off your deck surfaces and removing the film (if you still have them on). You can also try adjusting your Jogwheel Sensitivity by doing the following:

1. Press and hold the View button to open the Menu.
  2. Press Utility on screen to access Utility menu.
  3. Scroll down to Nudge Sensitivity and try the different settings to determine your personal preference.

If all else fails, we’ll be happy to connect you with a technical support agent to have a closer look.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I don’t think those suggestions would work. As I say, it’s perfectly fine after a reboot of the Prime 2. I used it for four hours last night with no problem after the reboot. Obviously I can’t just power on, start playing, wait for the deck to start stuttering or freezing and then reboot every time though. It seems like a software issue to me.

Any other ideas?

Gotcha. We probably should start there. Are you updated to the latest firmware for the Prime 2 (1.6.2).

You can access the downloads here: Software downloads, manuals and documentation - Denon DJ

Let me know if the issue persists and we’ll help narrow it down.

Latest firmware. I’ve noticed that sometimes deck 2’s queue button doesn’t work. For example, I can be queuing a record, repeatedly pressing queue, it will start playing the song every time apart from about one in twenty, when the queue button will do nothing. Again, fixed with a reboot.

Got it. Are you able to DM me a video so I can see what’s going on? It’ll help me determine if this needs to be escalated or can be resolved with some advice.

Hi, I’ve uploaded some videos here. I’ve also referred this to the tech support guys but thought it worth sharing the vids in case anyone else has seen anything similar

Hey @pmd99365

Thanks for sharing. Did our tech support team help resolve this for you?

No, not yet.

Ok - Let’s have our tech support team take a closer look and we’ll share the solution here later. I’ve messaged you now to collect your information.

Done. Also, the stutter now happens even after a reboot, so looks like it’s getting worse. Maybe it is a hardware problem after all.

Edit: looks like other people have had the exact same issue.

Maybe I need to return the controller and get a replacement?

Hello. Just thought I’d update this post to say that my issue has been resolved. I returned the Prime 2 to Denon, they replaced the MCU (which I assume is more or less all the innards of the controller). All works as it should now, no more stuttering.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.