Pre-Listen a Track during search

But I am alternating the spare layer going from Deck 1 to Deck 2 and back and fourth while swapping layers, so that is not a fixed one that can have continuous on all the time (or load lock deactivated, too, for that matter, if that option was made layer and not deck specific)… and if I’m on 3 deck mixing, the spare layer when using two decks is potentially the layer I’m about to use.

Exactly.

This pre-listen, too busy to cue a track up, needs to use one of a decks layers, either the digital or analog output sockets for that layer, and a spare channel on the mixer to hear what you’re cueing. Loading a track either with a right swipe of the screen or a push of the encoder is really no hardship

Similar to some of the other requests , It’s possible that this request has less ground-breaking potential than other requests

That doesn’t work easily with how I use the Prime system’s layers and decks and since the lock feature is hidden in Preferences/Utility. Quick previewing of tracks currently necessitates that I 1) toggle single to continuous on the layer I’m about to play a track on, and 2) at least pause between each touch swipe or loading with the encoder. Even if I go into Preferences/Utility to turn off track loading lock so I don’t have to hit pause first between each track loading, the standalones rarely even work with next/previous when continuous is on for the linked deck. I do not think some dedicated preview or pre-listen mode is necessary in the browser, though. If holding the music with the platter sufficiently temporarily bypasses both track loading lock and single play modes, it would do the trick. No one is ever going to try and load a track accidentally when their hand is on the platter, and if you’re holding the music fairly still with your hand on the platter, there’s no need for single play mode to be active.

https://denondjforum.com/t/allow-us-to-load-a-track-when-hand-on-platter-holding-music-relatively-still-or-slow-even-withlock-playing-deck-on/

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

4 Likes

Absolutely in favour we cannot remember all the thousands of tracks and a quick preview would help a lot like in traktor S4.

2 Likes

I agree this would be really nice. Could be sent just through the headphones when previewing in the browser

I absolutely miss this feature which is very common on other systems like Traktor S4 who I’ve been working with before.

Not only you save a lot of time while browsing thru a vast library, also when you pull a track from the prepare crate into a deck just for pre listen and you decide that its not the right time to actually play it, the track will be gone off your prepare crate.

For all those especially the folks from Denon, who have not perfectly understand what we are asking for, I made a video demonstration how pre-listen a track while browsing is done with Traktor S4.

2 Likes

I definitely agree with this being a necessary feature! Great suggestion!

Indeed it’s a must have

if youve come from the traktor s4 mk3 then you know how great this feature is, not only do you hold the button but you can scrub through the track with the track select knob. Genius!

faffing about with layers and mutiple button presses is not what the OP wants!

a pre-listen function wil be the best update ever

la pré-écoute sera le top car très utiliser pour ma part

Another possible solution: SHIFT + Previous Track Skip and SHIFT + Next Track Skip temporary disables Lock Playing Deck (so only when shift is pressed)

Since Prime is remembering your current list (crate, playlist, search results) the next track can be easily and fast previewed by quickly loading the next track even while playing and you can beatjump trough the track or quick search trough track by keep pressing Shift and beat jump.

During playback the Track skip is blocked, so you’re still free of risk, but enable quick load by pressing SHIFT

I think this boils down to knowing the tracks in a music collection that have been purchased (?)

Maybe the need to listen to a track just to see whether you’re going to play it or not out of a list is part of the “ive inherited loads of tracks en mass rather than bought and listened to them individually “

The issue there is that you can’t always tell the flavour of the track from a “middle of the track” snapshot or sample. Take “bad guy” by billie ellish … at some parts of the track it’s a dance track, and other points it’s a dirgy r n b ballad - preview(waste) 20 seconds of that track without knowing the tracks true progression and you’re gonna look pdf (pretty dam foolish) - a thumbnail version of the waveform shown beside each search result isn’t gonna help visually either.

It’s jist all down to preparation and sincere DJing

2 Likes

Yes it will be very very important to add this needed feature : pre-listen a track in playlist without loading it to a deck

thanks Denon !

I’m not thinking this a the good idea.

We now hear fader channel 1 if we press Cue1 and let go and we hear fader channel 2 if we press cue2 and let go.

How would Prime 4 know to route of the search tracks to our cue headphones if no option with cue1 , cue 2 or cue3 or cue4 is pressed? Is the idea we keep our finger he press and hold down on the search track to hear him? But hear him only long as me finger holding on him in search result?

If this is yes (?) then it would mean we have to stand as lemon with finger held on touch screen, to hear of search track preview for 30 seconds? If yes, that is a lot of Lemon standing. 30 many second is a lot of standing around with a finger glued to touch screen when many DJ say they have no seconds to do anything.

Also this mean would too, no function to move through preview track or to set cue pointers or set hot starts.

I have softened on this issue. I am ok with Pre-listen.

I also think fader start could be utilized in basically reverse to cause Pre-listen not to send to that layer’s audio outputs when the mixer fader is up on models other than the X1800. The fader start on the players in Preferences/Utility could be set from normal fader start to pre-listen mode, and you’d only hear it when the fader is down. Seems possible.

I would still like to be able to have holding the music mostly stationary with my hand on all the players while triggering the scratch algorithm (would work on both touch and moving record units) be seen as equivalent to a pause state, though. This would both allow main cue to be set when doing this without hitting shift and allow us to load tracks without having to hit pause even though it’s technically still playing when we release the track. I know of no one, when their hand is actually on the platter scratching, who either hits main cue to go back to it or is in danger of accidentally loading tracks. I welcome evidence to the contrary, however. This feature would also be useful for faster loading of tracks for those people using a mixer other than X1800 and other than those with fader start.

With a big Music library or many remixes of one song its imopssible to remember them all by heart a Quick soundcheck within seconds helps out a lot! I miss this!

1 Like

Pre-listen will be a pretty good idea, to seperate different versions of a song.

Just cue the track up in any one of the 4 offered decks