Pitch fader position

one thing i wonder about is the position of the pitch fader if both layers are in use.

for example i use layer A and for that i have the pitch at +3%. then i switch to layer B which needs the pitch at -5%. but since layer A had it at +3% it’s still there. so if i move it now on layer B where does it start?

They’ve indicated that like a controller it has soft takeover. It wouldn’t move anything until you moved it past the point where the soft takeover happens. There are indicators beside the pitch fader showing which way it has to be moved in order to “takeover”.

What Todd says. And there seems to be some kind of reset button too, but I don’t really know what and how about that.

I talked to the guys why they didn’t put in a motorized fader (only for the pitch). They seemed under the impression that they were not accurate enough and prone to failure.

Having worked with and seen many digital FoH (Front of House) live mixers with all motorized faders, I can’t say I agree. Those take lots of abuse too and to me they are always very sensitive and accurate. They would of course raise the cost factor some.

Well there is a analog and Digital input, you could put half on one and half on the other and just change the input on the fly… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Frankenstein it together and will it to life. Only 4 channels will play at once but in theory you could switch between all 8 on the fly.

While absolutely true, I doubt this is the place you wanted to post that reply LOL

Yeah, I really don’t know how that happened. This make up in another thread and I was wondering where the post went. I am mining the forums waiting for someone to tell me they have shipped…

It’s a “feature” on these forums. If you start typing a reply and then switch to another thread, the reply stays “live”. If you then click on Reply, it will ask you if you want to reply to the original or current thread. So, I am guessing you clicked current while in this thread.

As for the shipping date, join the club! (Not me, but many, many others).

Would have been unnecessarily expensive to add a decent motorised pitch fader to the 5000 - pitch catch-up/takeover is easy enough to work with, imo

1 Like

I would think that is not up to us to decide, but to the individual user, LOL.

Seriously though, the way some guys will abuse the dual layer option, it’s a lot of extra fader-moving, with still the option of odd effects. Unless you are very careful, rapid movements to “catch-up” can lead to unintended overshooting of the catch-up point, thus increasing/decreasing the pitch in a direction/amount you didn’t quite intend.

Been there, done that, never mind the t-shirt.

I agree with the price thing. On the other hand, it would not have been THAT significant a change in price at this price point. If I look at the prices at which live mixers are sold, often with 24+ motorized faders, a simple calculation tells you that they are not hundreds of dollars each :-).

The design decision has been made though, so we will all learn to deal with these things. After all, what is left to desire if there is nothing left to desire?

By any chance, have you heard if we’ll be able to define in the options the Pitchfader behavior i.e. Absolute vs Relative?

Not sure what you mean?

My bad, I should’ve provided additional detail.

Native Instruments enabled the user to define the pitch behavior when switching decks on their controllers. If memory serves me, Relative Mode is like the soft takeover you described, where the pitchfader has to be returned to the respective position of the current active deck/layer. For example, I have the pitchfader at 16% on Layer A. I switch to Layer B and the loaded track is at 2%, even though the pitchfader is at the 16% position from Layer A. As I move the pitchfader, the 2% value of Layer B will not change until the pitchfader physically reaches that position.

Absolute Mode is the opposite. Instead of that 2% value remaining unchanged until I reach it with the pitchfader, the value will immediately “jump” as soon as the pitchfader moves. As soon as I begin moving it up, it’s going to jump from 2% right to 15%.

that’s a good solution otherwise you get in trouble in terms of moving space in some cases

1 Like

Hmmm … would have to check (don’t have a current Traktor setup), but from my understanding (and not sure which is which) the two options are:

1. The marking on the slider equals pitch setting. I.e. the 0-point is always the o-point. This is indeed where soft take-over takes place. So moving the fader when switching decks does not change anything until you returned your fader to the “hard” position of the current deck setting. To use Lost’s example of deck A at 16% and deck B at 2%, if you want to move deck B to 3% coming from deck A, you would first have to move the slider back to the 2% level and then up to the 3%. Switching back to change deck A you would then have to move the slider from the 3% level to the 16%. That is a lot of fader moving and prone to mistakes (overshooting is one).

2. The actual position of the fader equals the setting of the current deck. In the example, my deck A fader is at 16%, now I want to set deck B to 3% instead of two. I switch layers and the software assumes that where the fader is, regardless of the markings, is at the last known position, i.e. 2%. So no need for take-over, you just move the fader up to 3%. Now if you switch back to deck A, while still at 16%, the physical location of the slider has moved up a bit. Much easier if you have to do a lot of bpm adjustments on two layers, but as Joxani rightfully remarked, there is a serious chance of running out slider space, which gets bigger as the difference between the two increases.

So as I understand it, there is no jump from 2 right to 16%, but just that in one case you have to return the fader physically to the corresponding location before being able to adjust, in the other case you just switch decks and assume the fader is at the correct starting place.

Not sure if I makes sense anymore LOL

1 Like

There is a difference in soft takeover and relative mode, in your example, after the switch, fader position will be at 16% but will act as it was on 2%, relative would mean u have to move it just a notch to get to 3%. In absolute mode it would jump soon as u move the fader. I am all for soft takeover mode on this unit. But being able to choose could be appreciated by some… Hopefully I made some sence and said it right, correct me if I am wrong.