Pioneer CDJ Nexus 3/XDJ 2000

It probably is just a coincidence - it takes time to shoot and edit a marketing video. Not to mention it’s the holiday season coming up so they are likely to announce something before the time that Winter NAAM would have happened anyway.

You see this get thrown around all the time when competing companies announce/release things close together and I don’t really get it - a lot of companies follow similar release schedules based on customer trends.

The Pioneers right out of the gate pretty reliably didn’t care if your MP3s were VBR, you could set hot cues even if your hand was stopping the track and triggering vinyl mode, there was no scratch drift, and they had 24bit track compatibility, Rekordbox, real Ethernet Link (not master slave nonsense), track-off-load over Ethernet using Link from Rekordbox, no limit to the number of tracks on a drive that could be seen on the drive or over Link, great MIDI/HID support, and a host of other stuff the 5500 fell short of. The 5500 had dual layers and a vinyl platter, but the latter never really worked perfectly. The 5500 was NEVER reliable HID or MIDI for any software, let alone carefree to the point you could switch between USB drive or CDs, Link, Rekordbox Link, and HID on-the-fly during a set. That’s why the CDJ Link-capable stuff became the industry standard media players and Denon did not. Denon’s big achievement during that period was their flagship mixer, but with most people buying the Pioneer players they usually wanted the matching mixer, too.

Where were the above videos sourced from?

By the way, Pioneer DJ doesn’t even need new player hardware. A few firmware tweaks on all their Link-capable units would put them in a much better position to compete with InMusic if they were willing, but they’re a pretty arrogant bunch over there resting on their laurels and convinced that how they’ve done it since 2009 is the only way anyone ‘worthy’ wants it done. If they’d already made these changes, myself and quite a few people I know wouldn’t even be bothering with Prime.

Better make sure we get plenty of cue button and platter testing in the video, lads. Need to justify that hefty price tag to the plebs…

2 Likes

I believe pioneer might of incorporated haptic jogs. I say this because it is a much needed evolution for jogs.

Other than that the rest will be a 6000 series knockoff with a pioneer layout and shell.

Can’t wait to see how much coin will be asked for to get it.

1 Like

Too much, as usually…

Found this leaked picture on Reddit:

According to this picture it will be called CDJ-3000, so still support for playing CDs? Looks like a very minor upgrade over the CDJ-2000NXS2. I do not like the placement of the hot-cues. Also looks like there is no second layer option. The screen is bigger but it still looks like similar software as the previous players, so probably no multi-touch.

Honestly, this is what I expected. They are just giving you a slight upgrade over the previous model, so you would feel instantly at “home” when coming from previous Pioneer products. For their type of market they just need something that feels similar because something new and different would confuse their userbase and would require some “training” to get used to the product.

1 Like

I don’t think pioneers head, heart or backers are really in it anymore. I think that pioneer are hoping that people will say “Theres a new pioneer out!” and will blindly buy it without realising that it’s just a nexus2000 with a few firmware adjusts. The sort of adjusts that denon would have added free in firmware.

2 Likes

At least they added key shift.

As far as features go, I guess they will be little between the Primes and the Nexus devices but the prices will be the usual Pioneer DJ tax.

I feel there will be few innovations or “never seen before” features in these. Most will be bringing like-for-like to a level where they run close to the Primes. Definitely an incremental increase and nothing where it leaves DJs out of their comfort zone.

It’s not to say that these will be bad, only that we’re at a point now where we are left open-mouthed a lot less than we was before due to the amazingly good Prime series. We’ve been spoiled!

1 Like

Trusting bunch aren’t they … they’d got a security wire on the USB stick. :eyes: and this must have been at a trade pre-launch invite-only sort of preview day

Interesting what the Roland Business cards are doing in the picture… come on Denon get your MIDI signalling and video V400 / V800 (orcwhatrver those Roland video mixers were called) workarounds in order quick

I still have this “oh and one more thing” feeling, but people around me say that this is all there is.

The problem is their install base. Rental companies will simply renew/upgrade to this. Even after 5 years.

But DenonDJ is not done yet… :relieved:

5 Likes

Tell us more

2 Likes

Like I said in the other post (just delete it by the way :slight_smile:), if this is all they bring to the table, Denon have nothing to worry about. :muscle:

1 Like

Here’s re-upload of the new cdj. Looks very old already and screen is very poor quality. No innovation in terms of look and the pads are small and in not easy to access way. On Prime series it is easy to do some finger drumming and really fast jumps over hot cues plus all the pad modes… here is no innovation…

3 Likes

I’m going to guess these have streaming built in but that is only a guess.

To the left of the track title “You’re” I thought I saw a little “7” that looks like the “7 Digital” logo.

Now they don’t have a streaming service like the others but could be something being tested for future use.

As Reece said, these things will hit the rental market but I guess getting a club or bar to upgrade will be a challenge. There is little to no money in this industry at the moment and feel it is a bad time to launch a high priced product. Denon DJ have hit that sweet spot with price but feel Pio may have to wait a fair while before they get any real return on these. Then again.

Rick Parkinson left and as he knew their roadmap I guess that he felt the innovation was not where we should be in 2020.

Denon DJ is in the fortunate position of giving us key people from Pioneer DJ hardware and Serato software. These people have been the top of their game and this is why I will put 100% faith in Denon DJ and their future.

Also, what I love about Denon DJ is that the influencers who really matter are big cheerleaders and not because they are paid to be but because they actually believe in the technology and enjoy using it.

Mark Settle from DJ Worx openly cheerleads Denon DJ and only because he enjoys the products. His positivity has always shone through and the same goes for Mojaxx who is rarely without his Prime Series in videos. Cleveland Terry and Phil Morse from DigitalDJTips too. These people are massively influential yet use them because they prefer them. The Prime Go was a “wow” moment for many and even people who have never considered Denon DJ had their head turned.

With new features coming every few months, the Prime series are showing their worth ten times over. I think Pioneer DJ products are great but we are now in an era where software updates and new features are constantly added to our phones, MacBooks and even cars and Denon DJ has tapped into this perfectly and I can’t wait to see where this goes.

When companies get it wrong we could hold them to account and explain why we are angry and when they get it right the praise should be piled on and championed. I feel Pioneer DJ are riding on the power of the brand and even the Rekordbox 6 debacle died down soon after.

They really cannot to put a foot wrong, even when they do turn up the greed level as the power of rental and club installs will keep them in the top spot for a long time to come.

4 Likes

It has now been deleted from imgur so these shots on here are the only ones I can find.

Seems like someone has had their wrists slapped.

Maybe just a copyright claim and imgur took it down. I bet it has been saved on plenty hard drives in the meantime :grinning:

1 Like

Official Pioneer news is/was planned for this week, but the internet always catches up.

For me it’s like you said. The SC5000’s are still evolving after 3 years. And the SC6000’s are simply next-gen. Can’t say that for this Pioneer.

1 Like

Thank you! I have updated my original post :slight_smile:

That’s interesting.

The placement of the hot cue buttons is quite puzzling as it’s much easier to accidentally nudge/press the jog wheel in that position.

I also wonder if they will use basically the same low refresh rate screen technology of the Nexus 2’s. It doesn’t look like they’ve changed the firmware all that much so the underlying SOC is also probably the same.

Given the jogs in their controllers I fully expected the same screen in this one so no surprises there.

Lots of cost cutting measures so I could potentially see this coming in at the same price as the primes, if Pioneer were willing to forego their usual tax.

The apparent lack of a layer switch button is also a bit odd, but then this would require more firmware work and definitely a newer SOC with more power so maybe on balance not so odd.

Overall very underwhelming for 2020.

As I said, QA and reliability first is certainly good, but this is unnecessary and they can mostly reach parity with most of Prime with just a few small firmware changes to eliminate a nagging quirk of the line and add two features. That pic also looks photoshopped to me, and the layout and button choices look like a copy-paste job… though aspects of the V10 sitting next to it certainly also have those traits. What’s the pedigree of the Reddit pic?