Phono noise

Hi guys, Im getting phono noise in line 1 and 4. I dont have anything hooked up in those lines . Anyone else have this issue? Thanks

Is it happening when You have the inputs set to phono, or digital and line setting to?

Turned to phono and hear a hum like as if a turntable was hooked up with no gnd

Where is the sense, setting an input to “phono”, w/o having a turntable connected? And: Do you hear noise, when a turntable is properly connected?

Is the unit properly grounded? Apart from the fact that you don’t use turntables.

just was checking each line and noticed the noise. i dont have a separate wire grounding the mixer yo the gnd screw. Only its plugged in to a rocketfish surge outlet . Should i have a wire connected to the gnd screw somewhere?

Quite simply don’t have the channels on phono if nothing is connected. This is common to happen as the phono inputs are high impedance.

1 Like

its only in line 1 and 4 is this common with all mixers?

The ground screw is only there to supply ground to the turntable … not to any other ground. The P4 is connected with a grounded mains cable. Doing what you describe would just insert a ground loop, most likely worsening the situation.

Phono signals are extremely low, hence the inputs for the phone pre-amp are extremely sensitive. And that cause all kinds of possible audible effects without a proper (impedance) load attached like Kradcliffe said.

So, leave them off phono and set to line or PC and you should be fine :smiley:

My three cents as usual

1 Like