Petition for new ways of workflow

Good evening I don’t know if this is the right place, but I have several problems with the way engine dj works. I come from traktor and virtual dj, I have my music organized in some way in folders, I have recreated all the folders as a playlist to be able to continue having all my music as it is the most efficient way to work for me as a mobile dj. I hate the way rekordbox works and therefore engine dj, more focused to the club world maybe but not to ours, the first problem is that this software does not have a way to monitor folders to be updated without having to do it manually song by song, 2nd does not have a search function for untraceable files, something essential for me, is there or is planned a way to work that does not force me to work with playlists? it is very counterproductive for me and i guess for many others as well. where can i make a request for these improvements/corrections? it would be wonderful if we could work with engine in the same way we do with traktor, virtual dj instead of rekordbox which for me was one of the reasons to stop using it completely.

1 Like

Translation into the forum language:

Good evening, I don’t know if it’s the right place, but I find myself with several problems in the way that engine dj works.

I come from traktor and virtual dj, I have my music organized in a certain way in folders, I have recreated all the folders as a playlist to be able to continue having all my music as before since it is the most efficient way of working for me as a mobile dj .

I hate the way rekordbox works and therefore engine dj, more focused on the club world maybe but not ours, the first problem is that this software does not have a way to monitor folders to update without having to do it manually song by song,

2nd It does not have a search function for non-locatable files, something essential for me, is there or is there a way of working that does not force me to work with playlists? It is very counterproductive for me because of what I mentioned and I suppose for many others as well.

Where can I make the request for these improvements / corrections? It would be wonderful if we could work with engine in the same way as it is done with traktor, virtual dj instead of as in rekordbox which for me was one of the reasons to stop using it completely

The requests system on the forum is about to change, so wait a while before submitting a request - be aware though , your request is going to have to be more detailed than “make it work like virtual and traktor” as that’s not setting any function goal at all.

In the new forum feature request system, users can vote for their most wanted requests - coming soon -

You can relocate lost files (not that you should be losing your files regularly anyway) by using Lexicon software, which works with Engine DJ

Hi I do not lose files regularly, it happens that when working on my disk adding or moving files to new folders etc, these the program does not find them which is normal but there is no way to ask it to look for them neither manually nor automatically. that would be a function that interests me a lot, 2nd to be more specific the function I want is that there were both possibilities to work in the current way for those who want and are used to it, and what I want is to work as in virtual dj directly from the folders on my hard drive (analyzed) and not have to create playlists to synchronize between engine and my hdd, which is tedious because they are not updated automatically and the software has no monitoring functions of folders.

I will look at Lexicon to see if it serves my purposes.

Thanks!

File relocation request was already submitted. Vote for it when we have a new voting system. Maybe it will be implemented faster (I hope)…

1 Like

As i said, i’ll be waiting for voting system and hope that will be the possibility to work with files in the same way that we work under other dj soft like traktor or vdj Thanks!

1 Like

what I want is to work as in virtual dj directly from the folders on my hard drive (analyzed) and not have to create playlists to synchronize between engine and my HDD

I recently transitioned from Traktor to using only Engine DJ, and I agree it can be tricky figuring out how to manage folders and playlists. Denon needs to provide more online resources to help people transition from their competitors.

Regarding your specific problem, I think it’s important to remember that everything under the collection is now a ‘playlist’ and that provides some flexibility. For example, deleting a playlist never removes tracks from your collection.

My process for updating an external drive with tunes from folders:

1. Download new tunes (Duh!)
  2. Put tunes in local folders, E.g. ‘Disco > 2021’
  3. Delete ‘Disco’ top-level playlist from DJ Engine
  4. Drag ‘Disco’ folder from local machine to DJ Engine collection

DJ Engine will import the new tunes and update the playlist structure :+1:

1. Analyse the new tunes and sync to the external drive
  • Note 1: This will process will lose any custom track ordering of the re-imported playlists
  • Note 2: You may want to sync from your external drive before starting this process
  • Note 3: If tunes are moved to different folders and re-imported the old tune will remain and be highlighted red in Engine DJ (Duplicate tracks issue).

From what I can tell, this is the quickest and easiest way to update multiple playlists with new tracks from your local folders. :slight_smile:

Thanks Rips, currently, I import the new songs at the same time, first to the local folders and then to the engine playlist, because the solution you propose implies to reload the 500 or 1000 songs from that folder that I delete, right?

Yes, but this is quick because the tracks are still in your collection and analysed, you are just updating the playlist.

It is not ideal, but works okay for me.

if i understand it correctly, when i delete one of the playlists under collection, tracks still be in collection and adding again the local folder imports all and only analyze the new ones right? step 2 you wanna say that is better to first sync external disc used in prime unit? thanks!

That’s correct. :slightly_smiling_face:

i’ll try it, thank you!