P4 Computer Mode with VDJ - Random Cracking Sound for Line-ins and outs

Hi Community,

I have Problems with random cracking and unclear sound when using the internal sound devices of the Prime 4 with Virtual DJ. Since I used the same setup with my old controller for years I think the problem is associated with the Prime 4, its audio devices, or its drivers.

I provide mix videos using timecode vinyl on YouTube or perform live on Twitch.

Here are my components:

• Prime 4
  • Virtual DJ 2021 (VDJ)
  • Win 10 Surface Pro 7 with I7 and 16 GB RAM
  • OBS Streaming Software
  • Latest Win drivers for Prime 4

Audio Setup:

Timecodes connteted to Prime 4 Inputs 3 and 4 (Input Device Line1/2 Line3/4 in VDJ) Master and Headphones of VDJ routeted to Prime 4 (Output Device 1/2 and 3/4) This is the default setup for DVS with VDJ as described here: https://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/denon/prime4/advanced.html

Using Input Device Line 5/6 to as an Audio Input in OBS to record the master.

The Problem: Everything seams to be fine first. But after some minutes (between 5 and up to 60 min randomly) The cracking occurs. When happening on Input Device 1/2 or 3/4 this ruins the timecode signal and results in winding/grinding sound of the song. When happening on Input Device 4/5 I hear the cracking only after listening to the recorded video. But on the master out I’m able to here little clicks.

Since I record or stream my mixes I created a collection of problems I found over the past days: Video with Examples of the Problem

The Problem occurs with ASIO drivers (here more often) and with WASAPI (exclusive and non-exclusive mode). I increased the buffer size to max on ASIO drivers, too. But no success.

I monitored the CPU and GPU of the Laptop and they’re both below 50% always. In the past I used the exact same setup with the Reloop Touch Controller and a second controller for Line-Inputs and I never had any sound problems. That is why I think it is about the Prime 4 or Windows sound drivers of the Prime 4.

It is very annoying, when playing live and the sound quality drops from one moment to the other or the song starts winding. Please help. I think the Prime 4 is a great peace of hardware and I would not like to return it to my dealer.

Thx Jochen

You need to monitor the system with LatencyMon or some other similar program to isolate the process that is causing the latency issue you are having.

Some controllers take a lot more laptop processing power to talk to than other, simpler controllers.try upping your laptop sound latency up to 4 x times what the latency is now and see if running it like that makes the “after an hour” distorts go away.

If they go away like that, it’s latency

If they don’t go away, try more bigger latency settings or try other things like cables

Thx for the quick reply. Didn’t know the tool so far and will try it out. Hopefully it brings me closer to the reason of all of this. :+1: