Original package Prime4/ Used Prime4?

Hi Prime4 users,

received a Prime4 from a known german shop that says its a brandnew device, however for me it looks like a used good. Really appreciate if someone can tell me if you received your product the way I did and if all this is normal. 4 Pictures attached.

1. There are three round tapes that were cut and 3 new uncut round tapes were put on them?!
  2. Packaging with a lot of duct tape
  3. Little scratches around a button
  4. Dirty button.

Can this be normal for brandnew device?

Thanks so much for your opinion!

Marco

image image

1 Like

What would be your first guess? :nerd_face:

Return and ask for a non-demo unit.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer.

I already asked for a non-demo unit after I received a package that looked even worse one week ago…!

Now they sent me the one you see above… so they sent me a demo unit again? Oh man…almost cannot believe it, its from a well regarded store in germany… :expressionless:

I had the same thing (round stickers cut and new ones placed over) with my Prime 4 from a UK retailer. I think in my case though, it was just the box.

1 Like

It could be that the dealer loaded some firmware updates into all the prime 4s that they had in stock.

Maybe that was the dealers choice, rather than waiting weeks for denon to delay a shipment while waiting firmware at denons hands, maybe the dealer offered to do firmware updates on a few dozen/few hundred themselves in-house.

That doesn’t explain the scratches around one of the controls though

Hello S_Anderson, Sorry but from when dealers open sealed boxes to run firmware updates? At list in Greece i live i never heard this. So my eyes says that this is mot a sealed box and maby its a semo unit.

Pkease let us know what the dealer will answer.

Thanks a lot for your answers.

I checked the device a bit more in detail. Found more buttons which dont look completely unused. In addition, I realized that on the middle of the package, there were 3 stickers put on top of each other, two of them were already cut when I received the unit. Pictures attached.

The service people of the seller which I contacted said, it might be possible that the unit was opened to check that everything is inside and nothing is missing…! I dont believe that. And it doesnt explain the scratches.

I think I will send it back, because I paid the full price for a „brand new“ unit and it doesnt look like one…

1 Like

Is the protective film still on the Mic Panel? i thought mine was scratched until i noticed the film was on there, it is really hard to see.

You are right Ampliphase, there is still a protective film on this part of my unit, so this is not a scratch on the unit, thanks for the help!

Unfortunately there are some other little scratches on the unit itself where no protective film is, some finger prints and many buttons which are a little bit dirty. Really like on demo-unit. I dont think Denon sends „brand new“ units like this and Im pretty sure they dont place 3 stickers on each other with two of them already cut…

Just dont have a good feeling with the unit I received any more…! I will send it back and look for another shop to buy Prime4. Appreciated your comments, thanks!

Yeah, on the output side too. I only found it by chance several days after getting the unit. I wasn’t sure at first whether I should peel it off or not, in case it was meant to be there…

I managed somehow to put an indent in my left jog display too. :cry:

You are doing the right thing as it will always be on your mind if you keep it.

Don’t be put off by this as the Prime 4 is a fantastic unit and a lot of fun.

1 Like

Yeah I agree. Send it back and go to another retailer. What a pain to have two devices that have been not new. Hope it all works out. Show us all your new unit when you get it.

1 Like

Yes, I like your comments and completely agree.

But there‘s some new hope. I wrote an email directly to the CEO of the company, stated everything what happened and sent him the pictures. He answered within a few hours (on a Saturday…) and stated that it‘s completely unexplainable to him why I received two used units. He apologizes sincerely. He will take care that I receive a third, unused unit as soon as possible. In addition I will get a call on Monday to finally resolve the issue completely.

Sounds good…so I give them one last chance :+1:

1 Like

Can you share more details of the companies referred to on this thread (UK and German) as would be good to know who they are?

With my unit, I don’t believe that the UK retailer was responsible.

The units ship in two boxes - the inner “display” box with graphics, and the outer plain brown box. The circular stickers had been replaced on the inner box, so it seems like it was Denon that did this.

I assume someone from Denon could add a comment on here to confirm whether that is likely? Seems unlikely to me.I ask because I’ve had a similar experience with some other music gear previously (not Denon kit) including finding that the bundled software had already been registered. I’m thinking of ordering a Prime 4 but when spending that sort of money i would expect brand new to mean unboxed and in absolutely perfect condition etc.

I can confirm what @PKtheDJ has already written: my P4 was also in its original box, and it was inside the brown box: then a box (beautiful and colorful) inside a box (ugly).

Even my P4 had two seals of the inner box (the beautiful one with the printed images) that had been cut and then sealed again with two circular stickers identical to the original ones. My P4 also had marks near the MASTER knobs, but they were on the transparent protective plastic (the removable one). My seller replied that the P4s are opened by the European distributor to load the firmware update.

well, guys … I bring you my experience.

I also sent my new P4 back for the problem with the left jog that the display was not working. I think I was the first to accuse this problem and promptly solved it by Denon.

I also got the box with the seals cut and then replaced. The console could be seen by eye that it had been opened in some way, it had signs on the display protection film, but nothing special. I immediately contacted the Denon representative who was following me, and he said, apologizing that they had not warned me in time, that the console had been tested by the Denon technician before shipment, just to avoid having the problem of yet another defective unit .

This is what I have been told. If true, I appreciate it from Denon, of course the units must not arrive damaged in any way.

ahh mine also came from the German distributor.

But you have to wonder why that was necessary. Denon should have someone testing the units at the end of the production line in Taiwan, to ensure they function before they leave.

Appreciate your comments, interesting to here that so many of you had cut stickers…why is that Denon? May it be normal, maybe because a European power plug has to be put in? Both boxes I received seemed to be US-ones originally (see picture attached). Can anyone of Denon comment?

In my case, my seller apologized and confirmed again that both units I received were definitely used units that were send back to the company from users and then to me. They send me a third one which will arrive tomorrow and promised it is an original new one from Denon with no tape cut on the brown box.

I hope everything is good inside, I really want to start playing with Prime4 and not only thinking about the box or cut tapes…

Best regards to all of you!