OMG, NOT another firmware update

The topic of this thread is NOT a comparison btw DenonDJ and PioneerDJ, but why or not DenonoDJ is still working on adding the basic requested features to the SC5000. From the time elapsed from one FW upgrade to the other and the wheight of what they added, it seems to me that we are on a dead track that will end soon…I hope I’m wrong but this is the perception…

Nature of the beast.

I guess it’s the same if you started a thread stating this “insert brand” is the greatest…a fiver, a good percentage of the responses you will get will be about what’s not right about the “brand”

I’ve learnt to share my thoughts if I have any and keep it moving, and not to engage with folks who clearly have different needs to mine.

I remember the bpm debate and the typical response of use your ears :sweat_smile:

Well, I’ve updated my SC5000 again yesterday, so that could be an hopeful answer for all doubters.

Can’t comment if all the basics are ticked; probably not, as that’s partly personal IMO.

I’ll proceed and close this topic, if you don’t mind.

3 Likes

No one can say that, so it’s no deficiency at all.

Everyone will have differing skill levels and widely differing abilities. Some won’t be able to DJ without auto everything, best grids, etc and would probably claim that those features are “the basics” that -they-must have, in order to DJ.

Others would look at the primes and say all the basics -for their needs- were there already on the primes.

Yes but before closing…updated your SC5000 with WHAT? And “AGAIN”? I’m sorry I do not understand… Thanks

Yeah a bit cryptic, sorry LOL. I’m not at liberty to comment beyond what I said, but I will confirm it’s a higher version number of course. :wink:

So to directly reply to your topic start statement: development is still very active, but no public ETA yet. Lots is developed in parallel. SoundSwitch 2.3 is just one result of that.

5 Likes

I love the hint of beta tester in the morning :slight_smile:

1 Like

Personally, if I owned the SC5000s, I would be pretty pleased with how much they’ve progressed since they were first released. But, I don’t have SC5000s. I have the updated SC6000s. The ones that just came out. And to me, the progress of those decks seem pretty stagnant to me. We have the updated deck, but other than an internal SSD, a larger screen, and some cosmetic upgrades, there is nothing to differentiate the updated decks to those that came out 4 years prior. So, for me, I am feeling pretty deflated with how slow the progress has been. It’s fair to compare the SC6000s with the Pioneer 3000s. Sure, I frequent the Pioneer forum and see how their update progress is in a slump as well. But the difference is, as Kradliffe pointed out, they came out the gate with a pretty full featured deck. There is a massive difference between the NXS2s and the 3000s. Justifying the price difference between the two. Whereas when comparing the previous SC5000s to the updated SC6000s, there is no justifiable difference between the two that warrants not only the price increase, but the change in model number.

Also, closing this thread and not allowing customers to air their grievances is an amateur move in my opinion. It’s like Denon only want to paint a rosy picture that ALL their customers are content. That’s clearly NOT the case. Learn from Serato. They allowed threads like this to exist on their forum. A lot of insight can be gained from allowing people to vent. The only difference is they had developers in those threads engaging with the customers. I haven’t seen a developer in ANY conversation on this forum in nearly 4 years. I don’t want to read the cryptic responses from BETA testers! I want to KNOW (from the development team) that my investment was worth it, and that we SC6000 owners aren’t just being strung along until’ the SC7000 comes out.

Be better, Denon!!

1 Like

I think it is better for us all and the developers, that they focus on the software, not on ranting the product on the forum. As Reese said (and he is not obligated to do so even), there is a lot going on behind the scenes, worth the wait. Be patient, You will be rewarded for it.

3 Likes

Ehm, nothing amateur about this. Amarillis self has marked post #5 as the “topic can be closed timer”. :slight_smile: I can however, lift the timer!

Can’t speak for others, but I try to stay away from censorshipping this forum.

Problem is partly that this is mentioned several times over by staff in the past, but then the clock still ticks.

1 Like

Fine then hire a liaison between the development team and the community. Not simply a forum moderator or BETA tester. Someone with more direct access to those that are developing this ecosystem that is permitted to engage with end user. Forgive me, but I don’t put a lot of stock in the responses from private BETA testers (I used to be one at Serato) or Forum Moderators (been one of those too) as they don’t reply with any authority on a particular topic.

You mean @JWiLL and @AIRVince and others.

No, not like them. How often do you see them engaging with the community? Sure, JWiLL came to my aid when I had that issue with my platter. I was super impressed with the speed by which he handled that situation. But, no, I am talking about a “titled” liaison that frequently combs the threads looking to engage with end users and help them flesh out their issues with the products and offers reassurance that their grievances are not only being heard, but are being taken into consideration.

Just to clear the air on this.

SoundSwitch is a completely separate development team with dedicated resources. Meaning their updates have no impact on Engine Prime or OS releases.

Yes, we are working on the next Engine updates (SC5000 included of course).

Typically when it’s quiet, our heads are down focused on bringing you the best.

When the time between releases is longer, it usually indicates it’s something big.

15 Likes

Then why did you buy the SC6000 instead of the SC5000? I don’t understand, what made you think that the SC6000 will have better non hardware features than “those that came out 4 years prior”???

It was specifically said by Denon that the SC5000 will follow the SC6000 in terms of software, would it made you feel better about your purchase if they cut off the SC5000 owners?

3 Likes

Because, I assumed when Denon said the SC5000 was going to be the entry model that meant that there would be less advancement for them versus the SC6000. I naively thought the processing power was more robust on the SC6000 enabling it to get a more processing intensive featureset. Clearly I was a fool. Could have saved myself a lot of money. Or, I could have simply upgraded my NXS2s to 3000s, and I wouldn’t have to be on here expressing my frustration that the SC6000s are seriously lacking by comparison in terms of practical/useful features. I guess I have some buyers remorse.

No.

It’s all good. I think I’m just going to buy VirtualDJ and use the SC6000s as controllers. The integration with VDJ seems to be pretty spot-on. Maybe Denon will get their 'ish together eventually and I can be happy with my purchase again.

As someone who also owns 3000’s, be glad you got the 6000’s. Both of mine were RMA’ed due to screen freezing issues and a jog wheel issue (the center display was doa). One of the replacements still hasn’t arrived yet due to them being on back order. Also, the XP1/XP2/SP1 still don’t work for the 3000’s (they worked for the NXS2 and XDJ1000 MK2), so it’s a standard feature missing out the gate. But Pioneer didn’t advertise it as a feature, so can’t fault em for it.

That aside, The Denon products did exactly what Denon said they did in the product information available at your time of purchase. Anything else beyond that is a bonus. :wink:

If we are really gonna harp on Denon for missing basic features, we should be aiming at the Engine Prime Software. We still need Relocate Missing Tracks, Smart Playlists, and Correct Downbeat Detection.

7 Likes

I’ve been hearing that excuse for ages. It was the defacto response on Serato forum by the sycophants (not accusing you of being one, btw) anytime someone had something to criticize about ScratchLive/DJ. Come on, we’re waaaaay past that mindset now. Imagine if Windows/MacOS/iOS/Android had that response when customers were pushing for advanced features for their computers/phones? LOL, they’d be out of business in no time. No, we’re beyond that now. We expect, and rightly so, that these media players are supposed to get better/more advanced with time. Besides, if it wasn’t their intention to promise updated features beyond what was available at purchase, why was JWiLL on YouTube vids making such promises?!? No, they clearly differentiated themselves from Pioneer in that respect right from the beginning.

Like, I said, I just wanted to air out some disappointments/frustrations that have been pent-up for too long. Not trying to position myself as some hater! I’m sure “something” will be updated in the future. I just hope the next update isn’t something as trivial as adding Philips Lighting BPM synced to the players or yet another Streaming Service, LOL! It’s just frustrating seeing topics/requests that are VERY practical/useful that also clearly have the backing of the community go by unacknowledged. Nothing but innuendo by known/assumed BETA testers, or blanketed statements like, “it’s coming”. That’s not very reassuring.

3 Likes

The updates do come don’t they? Even though some don’t apply to me or you. Your not the only one who would like to see certain kinds of updates and I’m willing to bet that most of these beta testers feel the same.

4 Likes

Perhaps you’ve forgotten that when the Pio 3000s came out, much of the response was comparing them to the SC6000s and complaining that the Denons had so much more, and the Pio’s didn’t match up (especially considering the price difference).

Exactly what useful features are lacking on the Denons? From what I’ve seen of people using them during live streams, nobody seems to be struggling to DJ because there’s some feature missing.

6 Likes