Offline Streaming?

It appears that Prime series controllers cache analyzed track metadata, but not the streams themselves. Therefore, every time I power on the controller and attempt to play a stream, a nwq download occurs. Will there eventually be an offline mode, so that (permanently) saved streams may be accessible and played?

2 Likes

Hello @DjSt3rling, I think due to streaming rules from tidal or other services keeping the streamed tracks is not possible. It can be only in the player temporary memory, but not saved for offline usage. Maybe this will change in the future, but mainly it needs to be approved by the streaming services.

I for one won’t be paying €50 monthly to store 100 tracks offline

I wonder why on our mobile devices we can save everything offline yet we can’t do it on the prime 4 with all of the storage capacity it has, we should definitely be able to do this in the future and have our offline playlists on the device. What’s the difference between storing it an iPad vs the prime 4?

1 Like

It is not legal.

I wonder why…

Because the mobile devices are just that. We may be playing back music on them whilst out walking, or driving - away from the internet. Much less likely we would be using a laptop or Prime 4 to play back music as we’re exercising in the park (etc). So it’s permitted on small portable “out and about” devices, but not laptops, desktops - or 10Kg DJ systems that need AC power.

Makes sense great point.

Yes, it is legal. Serato will begin supporting it w/ BeatPort Link/Src in their next release: Offline Streaming & Phase Coming To Serato - But Still No M1 Mac .

1 Like

Still does not explain the legal terms and conditions, that clearly say - you can’t store the song off line.

Beatport LINK and Beatsource have different license structures as per Pulselocker. You may notice the prices are nowhere near the same as the typical services except the bottom tier which is stream only… sound familiar? Sandboxing has been blamed, SW limitations have been blamed but at the end of the day this comes down to the end user agreement YOU signed the day you joined said streaming service/s. These are for non-commercial use only and do not allow access to offline stored files. While Beatport & Beatsource ARE in fact commercial use licenses thus have different rules governing them. The DJ SW developers would not break this barrier as it would be opening up themselves to some serious legal issues from entities MUCH larger than themselves.