Official Virtual DJ Compatibility is Here!

The lack of horizontal waves is not due to screen space.

Babis (djdad) said that the refresh rate of the screen over USB was too slow, resulting in stuttery performance when the waves were full width. Shorter vertical ones didn’t show the issue as much.

I assume that it’s still possible to modify a skin though, so if you really wanted to, you could have them.

For me the main reason I purchased prime 4 is called STANDALONE. It would be nice in the future SERATO or VDJ to be installed as OPERATING SYSTEM inside prime 4.

1 Like

Great news! I’d love to see Traktor support, as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For that you need to talk to Native Instruments. There’s been an SDK available from Denon for at least a year now, so it’s NI that need to do the work.

1 Like

I guess it’s a team effort.

But don’t worry - I asked for it on NI’s forums ages ago:

Feel free to give it a thumbs up over there, everybody. Might help NI to see some demand.
5 Likes

Until recently that SDK had been dysfunctional. That’s the reason it took VDJ such a long time to support Prime. Finally Denon worked together with Atomix to fix the issues with this very nice result.

Great news, and timely. After VDJ latest release adding the stem feature, I’ve been contemplating checking out VDJ again. I do love being laptop free with Prime, but this may be of value for my video gigs. My only issue with VDJ here in the U.S. is that it’s either a monthly subscription fee of $19 or a one-time lifetime purchase of $299.

Thanks Denon for pushing the innovation envelope again!

1 Like

Yes it costs a pretty penny.

I have been monitoring their price for a while. I have never seen them on “sale”.

1 Like

Yes I know, but it only affected the screens. Didn’t stop Atomix from releasing a Prime 4 mapping at the end of 2019. They were waiting on Denon, not the other way around.

The fully functional mapping has been around for at least three months (I used it), but again it was Denon who delayed things for native support.

I bought Traktor Pro 1.2.7 licence first, then TP2 and last year TP3 for almost the same total. Serato users paid their licence over and over every time they bought their hardware because it is in the price of the unit.

You have people here buying Prime 4 or Prime SC/X setups WITH Prime GO as backup and then a lifetime of VDJ is a “pretty penny”… it’s all about perspective, isn’t it?

3 Likes

Let me clear the airwaves here. Nothing was intentionally delayed. It took time to find the proper place on our road map and free up developer/testing resources.

4 Likes

I didn’t say it was. You added the extra word. Nice to see it all working anyway.

Hi @PKtheDJ - I know you didn’t use the word ‘intentional’. Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that you did. I just wanted to make it clear to anyone reading this thread that the development took it natural course.

I’m glad to see it working and out there. Virtual DJ did an amazing job with this integration.

I know that djdad seemed a little disappointed about the screen refresh rate over USB. He cited that as the reason why they went for vertical waves rather than horizontal.

They’re horizontal on the SC screens though. Maybe because the SCs don’t have to handle audio?

Looks fantastic on videos.

Just checked the pulse of folks on the Mobile DJ Network FB group, all tachycardic about the news.

Still waiting for a full Video review by the usual suspects.

I am this close to buying a license just to mess about with but that 299 ain’t beans :sweat_smile:

I’d wait and see if they add the 6000s to the list of home plus ($99 per license) supported controllers.

I doubt that will happen. They’re moving away from offering home licenses for pro gear, for obvious reasons.

You see them on the forum sometimes… “I just bought some expensive top end kit. Why can’t I buy a cheap license for it? I’m only a bedroom DJ - honest”.

If you can afford the kit, you can afford the license. :grin:

Absolutely. I’d think twice before buying a $299 license just to check out a software, though, especially when I have a working software already. Strange they don’t have a trial.

I wonder if Denon could persuade Atomix to offer a reasonable length trial for anyone who plugs in a Prime unit (none of which are cheap)?

[edit] There’s a statement on the VDJ wiki page that says “If you have created an account and are logged into the software with a controller connected, you will be granted a one-time 30 day trial of all Pro features which will bypass the 10 minute restriction”.

FYI - If you haven’t already in the past, you can do a trial of VDJ. Not sure if it’s for a week or month. I’m going to give it a test drive to see what’s up.

1 Like