*No latency* portable speakers?

Hi everyone.

The other thread has been locked, perhaps by accident, but I think we should keep an up to date list of portable speakers that are confirmed to have no latency issues when used to beat mix with the Prime Go - as I think it’s safe to say that all most all Bluetooth speakers seem to have that issue, even when using Aux.

Can anyone confirm that Minirig devices have no latency?

This speaker is recommended in the other thread - Motion+ | Soundcore - does it have an Aux in? Or is this latency free over Bluetooth?

There’s no such thing as latency free over the air speakers.

Check out soundboks maybe it might be what you’re looking for.

2 Likes

Nor any such thing as good sounding cheap latency free speakers.

Cheap speakers can be made to sound better by a DSP chip. But DSPs buffer (delay) the sound to give them self time to process the sound into better sound. That delay is latency like in laptops and computers.

Wireless has a delay too , in the sound being converted from wirelss stream to back into audio

You’ll need a wireless transmitter too, like xlr to Bluetooth. That’s a third buffer , a third latency.

With all that cheap latency, you could DJ on Sunday and hear Saturdays mixes

4 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

It doesn’t have to be wireless - in fact that would be preferable due to the latency associated with Bluetooth - the key thing, at least for me, is portability. Something at least as portable as the Prime itself, in terms of size/weight and ability to be battery powered - and without any DSP.

Soundbok looks good, but seems more like serious performance equipment and is very big, heavy and expensive. Plus it has Bluetooth too.

Perhaps no such thing exists, which is understandable as those things are serving a much larger customer base requirement.

Currently, when not just using headphones or hooking up to an amp set up, I’ve got a couple of options, but they are permanently set up in a bedroom (Old Logitech PC speakers) or are used for my TV (Edifier)

Edifier R980T 4" Active Bookshelf Speakers - 2.0 Computer Speaker - Powered Studio Monitor (Pair) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XGC7NTX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_DQv.FbYDG2301

New Soundboks or Minirig 3 are the best speakers.

I have both.

Annoyingly the forum software hasn’t allowed me to post in this thread until now.

I’m probably just going to get an active monitor or PA speaker like one of these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01J66ZEE0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_DK2DJRZRN1QKD1HJ0EER?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CKDCF99/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_WZPZEPRQAEN2M7HRQJDH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Marshall kilburn series. Absolutely no latency when via cable.

i really like the fender newport. it doesn’t get super loud, but it sounds perfectly round and warm. in addition, no latencies. the fender is also one of the few BT boxes that delivers crisp bass.

I went for the Minirig (2) in the end and am very happy with it. Perfect for my needs and very versatile in general. Haven’t used my Megaboom since.

It’s a bit unnecessary for how I’ll be using it, but I think I’ll aim to eventually get a second one and the woofer unit if I can get a good deal.