New controller for second layer?

I think 4 decks were used for making remixed build ups and drops. Now samplers, remix decks, scratch banks ect are available to replace decks 3 and 4.

I must be missing something here- why do you think you’ve made a statement that ends any further comment?

I didn’t. I see a lot of comments about 2 deck users are stuck in the past and 4 deck players are heroes.

My comment was to show maybe 2 deck users are ahead of the game. Equating decks with tracks kinda reduces the 4 deck game to only a 4 track game.

4 decks needs much more skill that 2, generally - would you agree?

This needs a bit more explanation too.

1 Like

I use it to make live mashups/remixes using other tracks parts to layer over the main track that is my base for the mix.

1 Like

When you get your dream sampler from denon would you still be looking at a 3rd and 4th deck?

You can play multiple clips/tracks from the add on right?

4 decks are a thing of the past. Everybody wants to play 10, 20, 30 tracks at the same time now :rofl:

I was trying to think of his name (James Hype) but couldn’t remember. Yes you are right.

I think, as a DJ, the guy is super talented and I watch his videos from time to time as I used to with LBL. Mad skill is always a joy to watch but lately I feel like if you take the element of skill out (stop looking at what he’s doing), his 4 deck sets sound like a bunch of noise at times LOL I am not sure if you all agree or not. I’ve also noticed (after watching a bunch of his videos) that he has a couple of “go to” tricks that he repeats throughout his 4 deck sessions; in other words, what he is doing could look complicated at first glance but really is easy to do if you’re in to that kind of stuff.

As for the 4 decks, I agree with those that say it’s a personal preference and there is no right or wrong. I can’t dismiss that there is a lot of monkey see monkey do going on too. some big names do it so a bunch of people want to do it to look like the pros. either way, nothing right or wrong about it. I think Juicy M does a incredible job with 4 decks but she has a lot of haters too saying it’s fake. It’s not rocket science, you need to prep hard and know exactly what you are playing most of the time; the rest will fall in to place with muscle memory.

2 Likes

A few weeks ago I happened across a female DJ playing on Jazzy Jeff’s Twitch channel.

The chat was full of people saying how she was dope, fly, on fire, wikkid, fresh etc.

At first glance I thought so too. She was very active. Dancing to the music, tweaking controls, pushing buttons. After a while though, I noticed what she was doing was actually very simple.

She was mainly playing music from just one deck,. and using the second deck for scratching mainly vocal (spoken, raps or singing) over the top. While that second deck was playing, she’d load a new track to the first and start it from a pad on the mixer.

It also seemed that she was working through a set playlist rather than DJing on the fly, and some of the tracks were already edited into each other.

It was more how busy she looked, that was affecting how people rated her as a DJ.

True knob twisters indeed. Loads of those on YouTube.

I just use the 3rd or 4th deck as a standby track or possible “better choice track”, but mostly just the 2 is enough. Preview and prepare list will do that as well, but it’s like an old habit to have a record ready…

1 Like

I did this already with Traktor Remix decks, and it is a fire feature in Traktor. I love it. But I want it in stand alone version. Instead of 4 decks, I would go for 2 samplers and maybe one M player then.

I just use the other two layers to add loops. This is where I find them most useful for my style.

Being able to run the other two layers as “loop machines” to replay samples and loops from tracks that I’ve saved would be great. Create a loop and instant double to a layer :+1:t2:

I also have a Redsound Soundbite Pro (sold as a Peavy Grabber) and that thing still rocks to this day. I even had the original Cycloops when it launched!

I only have 1 prime deck so I’m a 1 deck dj for now. Maybe if this new unit makes it to Canada I’ll finally be a 2 deck dj :muscle:

Absolute nonsense - sorry. Just because you cant use 4 decks, does not make using 4 decks a thing of the past at all. If 4 decks was so old, why are Denon making SC5000’s with 2 layers? Why are big names using 4 decks? Laidback Luke, the Denon flagship guy, usually uses 3 decks - are you saying his system is old hat too?

Just to be clear - if anyone has said that people mixing with 2 decks are old hat, that is rubbish too. Just play with what you are happy with, be it 2 or 4 or 100 decks - it doesn’t make any other method any less valid.

1 Like

For suckers like me who only bought one deck.

I think I got so good with dual layers on my only deck that if I got another dual layer deck I probably could become a 4 track hero too😎

1 Like

Dude - if you can mix well with one deck, then in my eyes, you’re doing pretty well.

3 Likes

I know how you feel. I had to put together a standalone analog version of Traktor for myself.

My pimped out (probably will never use all of it like a champ either) standalone setup consists of.

2x turntables w/real vinyl.

Sc5000M

X1850

Mc-101 groove box

Rc-505

This all works well (like Traktor) and will probably last til past my retirement. I’ll probably end up getting the lc6000 and another mixer.

I have a plan for this, but let’s talk on private message, not making too much offtopic here

Damn females!!! :roll_eyes:

This is VERY common for hip hop DJing — using serato and cue points, pads on the mixer (likely), cue up the tracks, scratch it up. If you think it doesn’t take much skill, I encourage you to dive in and try it out.

Sounds like she was keeping the room hype with great DJing. Your sneering at her notwithstanding.

Sneering?

No, I was simply saying that IMO people seemed to think she was doing something more complex than she actually was.