[NEED MORE INFO] Not Possible to Transfer an iTunes Collection From External HDD to Engine Prime

• **Software or Firmware Version: (1.2, 1.3.1, etc…)**1.3.1

• **Steps to Reproduce: (Turn on unit, press button X, etc…)**try it with library on external HDD

• Expected Result: (ex: It does X…) syncs with itunes and create and copies playlist

• Actual Result: (ex: It does Y…) cannot add those playlidt to EP library, therefore I cannot sync them to USB drive when needing to export

• **Reproducibility: (ex: Happens 1 out of 10 times.)**always

• Other Relevant Configuration Info: (ex: Plugged into a Windows 10 laptop.) the itunes XML file is still in original place on laptop HDD but library files for itunes and EP on external SSD HDD

• Operating System & Version (if applicable): MAC Mojave 10.14.5

• Link to Video Repro:

Hi @Nobody,

Thanks for the report. We’ll start looking into this now. It may be a current limitation but I’ll let you know after looking into it a bit.

Hi @Nobody,

After looking into this a bit, I was not able to reproduce in my environment.

Here are my repro steps:

1. Placed 500 songs on external HDD.
  2. Open clean iTunes library (renamed previous iTunes folder).
  3. Uncheck Preferences/Advanced “Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library” option.
  4. Check Preferences/Advanced “Share iTunes Library XML with other applications” option.
  5. Drag folder with 500 songs from external HDD to iTunes window.
  6. Create 3 playlists.
  7. Add 20 songs to each playlist.
  8. Close iTunes.
  9. Open clean Engine Prime v1.3.1 library (renamed previous Engine Library folder).
  10. Click iTunes Tab.
  11. Click Update iTunes Library.
  12. Right-Click to import 3 iTunes playlists as playlists.
  13. Drag 3 playlists to media device.
  14. Eject media device.
  15. Load into Prime Media Player.

Are those steps similar to what you’re doing? Is there something I’m missing?

Let me know if any additional information that may help me understand what you’re experiencing.

Thanks!

Thanks for looking into this for me! I have just tried it again without luck, it copies most of the itunes playlist songs but not all, and when i import the playlist there are no songs in it? I will try to wipe itunes and start afresh when I get more time, but meanwhile I have noticed the External HDD is formatted to EXFAT not MAC, it still reads and writes obviously but do you think this might be an issue even though it works with Rekordbox?

No problem!

That’s very strange that some songs will transfer but not all. Let me know how you make out with fresh iTunes library. I would rename your current iTunes folder and test with new collection.

As long as your drive is formatted as FAT32 or exFAT, the drive will work with Engine Prime.

Same problem inconsistant file transfers… See screen shots in my post.

I can see the packing inturupted error which would be a clear indication as to why tracks are not transferring. Is you music also stored on an external HDD?

My music is stored on my main PC and trying to transfer it to the SSD in the Prime 4 unit. So answer is Yes, my music files are external - How else would I get my music files onto the SSD?

@JWiLL Why don’t support ask for log files? This maybe a better way of solving the issue…

Hey @DJ_AJC, what I meant to ask is, do the music files originate from the external HDD? You’ve provided the information I needed, so I have the answer I was looking for which is, no. Your issue is a bit different from this post as @Nobody’s music originates on an external HDD and not on his computers hard drive. Because these are two different configurations and issues, I’d like to continue helping you in your original thread.

Unfortunately, Engine Prime does not product log files but this is something we are planning to add soon.

Thanks. Look forward to your investigation and response.