MP3 (32–320 kbps, VBR)

I am looking at the New User Guide recently Posted and have a question on the MP3 guideline which i believe effects everyone out there.

MP3 (32–320 kbps, VBR)

All of my music is formatted MP3 320khz 44,000 CBR IPV1

Does this mean I now have to convert all of my MP3 320 Khz CBR to VBR? I tried converting one in Audition and it went from 8 GB to 5 gb @ 82 Khz which doesnt sound as good as the CBR @ 320 Khz

Logically speaking, I would not think you need to convert.

Variable Bitrate support is just a way of saying “hey, we also support that next to the normal accepted Constant Bitrate”.

Perhaps a staff member can confirm.

It would be nice to know because I am having issues with Corrupt database

I understand.

Corrupt database is usually due to the format, brand or storage type used. But who knows it’s something else entirely.

I have played lots of CBR MP3 files without issue, I dont think the players are that fussy.

no no… all mp3 formats are compatible with prime :wink: all good…

regards,

what gives you this insight or did you just make it up did you do any testing verifying ??? and why does Denon DJ say VBR in the first place there must be a reason and the fact that they do not answer isnt reasuring

Because they also support VBR. The way I read it is: we support MP3’s with constant bitrates of 32-320 kbps and we support MP3’s that use VBR. Some older systems didn’t really like VBR MP3’s so that’s why they mention it.

I’d say, let total logic dictate.

CBR is old. VBR is new.

If a device supports VBR, then CBR would be supported also. Like USB3 and 2.

all (98%) my files are MP3 320kbps CBR and have not experienced any issue with the SC5000

Let’s give Denon DJ a break here and suppose that in the MP3 file format specification published in the user manual a type error has occurred and someone forgot to insert the CBR abbreviation. Logic dictates that if Engine Prime is needed to prepare your database and it has support for CBR MP3s the Prime 4 also has support for CBR MP3s. After all the Engine Prime software was developed especially for the Prime series.

Hai just play FLAC :100: :raised_hands:

1 Like

If 2008 is new, then I’m Diana Ross.

1 Like

Yeah I should have said “was introduced later”, but I hoped it would be clear.

1 Like

There’s no need for vbr anymore now that storage prices are dirt cheap

Yeah, just having a little dig, carry on :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very true, and further, there’s really no need for lossy formats at all anymore. They were invented strictly to reduce file size and allow for the digitization of music collections - they were not invented to improve live performance or sound quality. Now that storage is so cheap and we have controllers like the Prime 4 available to us, with native lossless support, I think DJs should be taking advantage of the highest fidelity files possible. The world’s ears will thank you (especially at clubs… maybe not so much at less designed venues).

On that note, isn’t it funny that in the video world, we are constantly seeking better and better video quality… whether that’s through 8K movies or 4K HDR video gaming… yet in audio, specifically DJing, we are OK with having lower audio quality as we progress in technology. It seems backwards to me, but I think it’s due to so many years of having mp3’s that we’ve just gotten accustomed to it. Hopefully that trend reverses itself in the future.

Using uncompressed audio format for delivering our work on the dancefloor is ideal. One thing to keepin mind is that wav format doesn’t offer advanced metadata for storing information like BPM, key, etc. On the other side, lossless audio and even lossy audio formats can be used given the fact that it’s practical and when we play them from usb storage devices the file access time is faster. Ultimately, it is a personal preference for everyone to make according to their needs.

Well, in fact, WAV does have chunk data for tag data, but very very few companies bother using it.

Yes, metadata is available in WAV, but it never has been poured into a “standard” on how to use/fill/read them, like flac or mp3 tagging.