Moving / Backing up/ Restoring backup of engine prime database

Fairly new to engine prime, I just have questions regarding backing up and then moving a prime database to another computer whilst retaining the saved hot cues and loops. What is the best way to go about this?

I have heard that the best way is to clone your internal computer drive but I was wondering is their not a more practical approach to doing this? Or can you move the engine library folder to another machine and simply relocate the audio files associated with the saved hot cutes and loops on the new machine like you can do with recordbox?

I do use apple’s time machine anyways so that’s basically a drive cloner anyway incase I accidentally corrupt something during this moving process.

Like I said I’m new to prime and with over 350 tracks that have 8 hot cues and loops, its obviously extremely time consuming so im looking to safeguard all of my prime data

Some searching goes a long way… the steps I’ve posted previously are in literally the top Google result.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=engine+prime+drive+sql

1 Like

And the most pointless reply goes too…

3 Likes
  • Backup your Engine Prime library folder to another partition.
  • Move your music collection folders to the other computer, on a partition having the same letter assigned and keeping the same folder and files structure.
  • Open Engine Prime on the new computer, create a new, blank database, then close Engine Prime.
  • Copy the Engine Prime library backup folder and replace the newly created engine library folder on the new computer.
  • Restart Engine Prime.
2 Likes

This feature is not available on Engine Prime. Give the feature request a like.

https://community.enginedj.com/t/relocate-missing-tracks/12251?u=mufasa

Carbon copy cloner does incremental updating but you may still be stuck if the file paths change.

Have you considered just having your entire 350 tracks on an external SSD eg the Samsung T series, Sandisk portable ssd etc. You wont need to worry about changing laptops with that and the drive can also be plugged directly to the prime gear (you wont have to worry about exporting tracks)

I have mine that way. I dont have any music on my laptop.

1 Like

Applesandoranges.

@JonnyXDA answer to your question is common knowledge of forum users. You are supposed to search before you ask. Unfortunately it seems the newer generation has no respect for online etiquette. Your time is not more valuable then the time of your fellow forum users. Most people here are helping out on a voluntary basis, no one is being paid by DenonDJ, so please show some respect to the people you are asking for help and do your homework first.

Nope what I was asking was slightly different to to the answers on Google and I wanted more context. Also if I’m young generation then that presumably means your old, which is making me think did you get mixed up between this forum and Technics?

Yes, You are absolutely right. I’m 57 years old. But I’m sorry to let you know that I did not get mixed up between this forum and Technics, which of course I used extensively back in the day. Just because someone is old it does not mean he/she cannot learn anything new related to technology. I’m quite versed in both hardware and software having worked in IT for the last 30 years. But somehow, you missed my point entirely: if you expect people to have good will answering your questions, and there is always people willing to help, you should at least search before you ask. It’s not something that this forum requires, it’s something all forums expect you to do before you post. If you are new to forums, search forum etiquette.

Thanks mate but would this work with two different operating systems , windows to Mac? But thanks I found your answer useful.

It works just fine because the database structure is the same. When, for example, you export a database to a removable storage device, its structure is the same as the one on the computer. When you plug a removable storage device into computers running Engine Prime under Windows or Mac, the software should be able to read the database from the removable storage device and update it if necessary.

I have everything:

• a SD card with collection and Engine DB
  • a copy of the engine DB from a ‘mother’ laptop
  • all the music files and itunes that go with it

But i cannot recreate exactly the same folder structure as my old SSD drive is corrupted. What are my options when setting up a new SSD on the mother-laptop, on which i want to manage music, playlist and foremost: sync my Prime 4 loops and clues back ?

Hi, I don’t have an answer to this topic, but I do have a question related to moving files to new location. Ok here it goes…say main dj source is serato dj pro and I have the serato folder and music files stored in my external hard drive, but it is formatted for mac. I want to start using engine also because I have the mcx8000 dj controller and want to use both serato dj pro and engine just in case my mac crashes I can then use engine as back up. Can someone tell me exactly how i go about using both serato dj pro and engine prime software? Can engine prime software read external hard drive where my serato folder and songs are located and be able to create playlists and sync it to a usb flash drive to use with my denon mcx8000 dj controller?

I’ve seen videos of engine prime software tutorials on youtube but all the videos talk having your music files stored in your internal hard drive to use engine prime software.

Please let me know

cheers, dj evon

Yes. That’s my workflow albeit with 5/6000M.

My serato is on external drive. I don’t have any music on my macs internal drive.

Engine Prime treats the serato (ext) the same way it treats serato (Int hd) library

Check out the YouTube quick start guides

Like I said Engine Prime does not discriminate. Internal or External serato works perfectly!

Fun fact if you create playlists/crates in Engine prime using your Serato external, you can also use that external with another computer with Engine Prime.

You can test it out now. Download engine prime and plug in your Serato drive.

How is the external formatted? HFS, ExFat or AFPS?

If it’s HFS or AFPS When you start up Engine Prime it will inform you that the drive is not compatible and that you should format it…just dismiss the warning.

Engine prime assumes that every external drive plugged in via USB is going to be used on the players.

cool thanks mufasa

1 Like

Hi I recently backed up my prime library onto external hard drive as I brought a new pc turns out the pc had a fault GPU so now im waiting on a new pc. however when i copied all my back up from external HD (prime library) to my computer C drive when I open up engine prime its only showing my tracks but not my cue points / saved jobs. but when I have my external hard drive plugged into my pc and then find prime library in engine prime from my external HD my cue points are there.

I am pretty sure on my old pc I only needed USB or external HD connected to export new play lists etc

I do not remember having to have USB plugged in all the time. normally I would have my prime library folder on my desktop / c drive then just drag new music into that folder to see it in engine prime.

how can this issue be resolved as all im doing is copying the same folder over why are my cue points not showing from my C drive folder but they are from my backed up prime library folder on my external HD

please could you email me a step by step solution

kind Regards Brett

How did you make the external back up?

Did you use Engine Prime to make it?

If you did then there is no official way to copy that back to new PC.

See this thread for inspiration

Hi mufasa thanks for replying Its a back up from my old pc to external HD then from that to my new pc C drive the prime library its seeing the tracks sane folder structure but the tracks are not cue pointed. but when I select the prime library folder in engine prime from the USB external HD its showing my cue points.

this is the same folder I copied from my external HD to my new c drive this is why I’m confused I shouldn’t have to keep my USB had plugged in at all times to show my save work ie cue points.

if you have any ideas great in mean time I will take a look at the thread you recommended top man

How did you make the back up.

Did you copy everything in C to the external?

Drag and drop?

OK so its a long story

my old pc i sent to the shop as I was buying a new pc they transferred my c drive data onto my new pc I got the new pc but I think it had a dodgy GPU as all my applications keep getting artifacts and crashing. so before I took the pc back to get rid of any bloating I backed up my C drive on new pc to my external HD and reformatted my new pc operating system re installed my applications including engine prime copied my data back to C drive from external HD. so it should all be the same

engine prime is still seeing my prime library tracks but not saved jobs like cue points etc

only when I have external HD plugged in it see my cue points from the prime library

but not from my c drive its the same files

thats why I am confused

many thanks

Ok. Send rekordcloud an email detailing your situation. I had an issue with duplicates in my serato library and emailed him. He was able to sort me out. Obviously I had to subscribe for a month to use the program

15 bucks I think it was.