Move music from one computer to another

This might have to do how mac os handles this internally: There is a “/Volumes” folder, in which 2 subfolders can ofcourse never have the same name. Maybe, by connecting them both at once, you forced mac os to choose another name for the drive’s “mount point”, and this different named mount point is retained, even when the original drive is not connected?

You can check these folders by opening Terminal, and typing:

cd /Volumes

to move to the /Volumes folder, and then type

ls -al

to check which mountpoints are used…

Does tune up work with Engine DJ

Hey @afrooo - Not sure that it does. What is Tune-Up? Do you have a link?

Thanks so much for this! Is there a command to print the current path you’re attempting to replace?

Edit: Figured it out. For anyone who might need this. In order to see what you need to replace from (the search string/out of date path) you can type:

SELECT * FROM Track LIMIT 1;

from there you’ll be able to see what the current path is up to the tracks’s filename.

not really, you didn’t search for a specific track. you do this with a WHERE clause:

SELECT id, path FROM Track WHERE id = 666;

PS: SELECT * also works, but gives you irrelevant field too:

SELECT * FROM Track WHERE id = 666;

And first make backups of your Engine Library folder , by copying it, compressing it, no matter what, but you can mess things up with SQL, and I take no responsibility :wink:

1 Like

A few tricks more:

1. Suppose you want a bulk search and replace. You moved your music from ~/Music/iTunes/ to ~/Music/otherFolder/
UPDATE Track SET path = REPLACE(path, “../Music/iTunes/“,”../Music/otherFolder”);

Note that I mentioned a path as long as I could in the above query, because the replace will just replace any string it finds. Making your search string as long as possible makes sure no paths are changed unwanted.

1. Paths can be showed in m.db in multiple ways. Eg following paths are all the same from Engine DJ’s perspective:
/Users/username/Music/iTunes/some.mp3
/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/username/Music/iTunes/some.mp3
../iTunes/some.mp3

Because Engine Library does not recognize this as one and the same, duplicates can exist in your database. Be carefull with this…

1. Now that we are talking duplicate track: when relocating individual MP3s, or doing a search and replace, you can get an error that the Unique key “path” is violated. Indeed, Engine expects path to be unique, because it absolutely makes no sense to have the same physical mp3 file twice in your library. When this happens you can do a few things. You could delete the duplicate MP3 with:
DELETE FROM Track WHERE id = 666;

But you can also choose the update your playlists, so that any entries that refer to the duplicate track you just deleted will point to the duplicate track you want to retain ( in this example 777):

UPDATE PlaylistEntity SET trackId = 777 WHERE trackId = 666;

And first make backups of your Engine Library folder , by copying it, compressing it, no matter what, but you can mess things up with SQL, and I take no responsibility :wink: