Mobile DJ-ing w/ vinyl?

So, I’ve been a mobile DJ for 21 years and used CD’s and currently flash drives stuck into a pair of SC2900’s and they’re great, but just recently I’ve been thinking about getting some decks, a DS1 and control vinyl and doing mobile gigs that way. I’ve never played on any kind of vinyl in any capacity other than one night when I played one 7”.

Does anybody else do this? Is it a stupid idea. In terms of cost, it’s about the same and I already carry lots of very heavy PA so carry a few more bits (compared to a controller) isn’t an issue. It’s the actual playing bit. Is vinyl a bad choice for weddings and corporate?! I’ll be using Serato so won’t be carrying lots of records with me.

I’d welcome opinions

I’ve got decks and love my vinyl collection from the 90’s. Go for it!

1 Like

What’s it like with the punters? Do you have any problems with people knocking into the booth or wobbly dance floors?

Timecode vinyls is my preferred choice in my studio. I love turntables as they are so beautiful and stylish, and they are just more fun and cool to use.

Timecode vynil + software + a good midi controller (I use NI Kontrol X1) is good enough to transform your turntables into a modern DJ system, with loops and hot cues. It is not as good, reliable and comfortable as a turntable-free system, like a Serato controller or a Prime system.

But note that turntables weight a lot each (10-12 kg depending on model), they are meant to stay in the club. Additionally, the timecode system requires a lot of setup…

If you are a DJ, you are curious about it, you’ve never try vinyl but you like how it looks and you have the money, I’d say but it, install it in you studio/bedroom and enjoy them. But I don’t think its practical for a mobile/weeding setup.

That said, I understand where you are coming from. People will tell you that timecode is dead and it’s not reliable any more. To me, I’d happily sacrifice the comfort and reliability of new systems just for the coolness of turntables, but weight and setup time might be the factor that would make me decide against it, sadly.

1 Like

Nothing is more sexy to a crowd than seeing turntables spinning, and if you played on vinyl in the past, nothing compares to the feel. HOWEVER, It can get costly (Pro Turntables = $500-$1000/each, Needles = $150+/each, Control Vinyl = $30-90/pair). Also, as you may remember, turntables are subject to ‘enviromental’ disruptions (i.e. people dancing too close, subwoofer rumble, etc.)

There are modern alternatives that still give you the look and feel fo vinyl and don’t suffer from the enviromental issues.

The Rane Twelves are digital turntables with a full size platters ($800/each approx). You still get the vinyl feel without the need for tone arms or needles.

One of my setups is turntables using Audio-Technica AT-LP1240 ($450/each) with the MWM Phase DJ wireless DVS ($460/set). I love it and the setup has worked flawless for me. The direct drive motors in the LP1240 are beast (feels like 1200s). As for Phase DJ, some DJs had issues with them on the initial release (so did I) but the latest firmware update took care of it.

Have fun with it whichever route you decide to go!

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Nobody has said it’s a stupid idea so that’s good.

Just working out what to spend the cash on - 5kM’s, Technics and control vinyl or more speakers. I don’t need any of it so it’s what do I really want and will get the chance to play with most

2 Likes

Nothing is stupid if it works the way you prefer it. :wink:

Playing vinyl is, well, unrivaled in feel. However, I still fail to grab the SL’s and use them more. The SC’s are my preference to quickly do a mix. And I don’t even own the M’s.

I cannot give an advice, really. But I think you need to testdrive at least the M and non-M.

I agree with test-driving all options. Only problem is finding somewhere I can test drive a huge (for a mobile DJ) PA system! :wink:

1 Like

Nothing compares to the feel of Vinyl, and if you are looking into something more robust for the potential disruption aspect have a look at this little gadget…maybe the answer to a mobile timecode setup.

Got Phase DJ and love it.

I’ve got a huge vinyl collection, but ended up switching to Serato using DVS about 10 years ago (and I’ve just added a SC6000M) because buying music was so expensive compared to downloading flac, wav or aiff files. One thing I miss about playing vinyl lots is you recognise a tune by the cover art, it’s a really quick way of looking through your collection and something jumping out at you. I know you can see cover art in Serato or Engine, but for some reason tunes don’t jump out at you the same way as when you play vinyl. If you use cue points, loops or any of those other tricks, then you will have to learn a new style of DJing, but nothing is more fun than vinyl. Another thing to think about is that every time you play a vinyl, you cause wear - over time vinyls loose sound quality. I know you move a lot of equipment anyway, but weight is an issue - back when I was a student, I’d carry my record bag into town to play and back again - I’d end up with a bruise on my shoulder from the record bag - and that was a high quality UDG bag as well!

2 Likes

I have a pair of Technics 1210 Mk5 and a Prime 4 and the Prime 4 gets all of the love but I’ve been looking at rotary mixers this last year and I’m going to pull the trigger on a Master Sounds Radius 2 I think. I’ve been looking at the Omnitronic TRM 202 MK3 and something that I’m 99.9% sure was made in the same factory by Sub Zero (they forgot to label the “Mic” gain on the promo shots!).

I will use the rotary with an SL3 and continue to use digital (I know… the whole point of a rotary is the analogue warmth!). I want the feel of the levels being slowly tweaked and brought in with skill.

I just need to dump the Xone 43c and A&H K1 first. I was going to get a X1850 but I just want the unique mixing experience.

I think you can still get the “warmth”, even with digital files. I’ve stopped DJ-ing now, but I used cdj’s with a usb stick into X:one 92 and the sound was incredible. I much preferred the sound (not saying it was better) to the x1800

1 Like

Yeah I noticed those Sub Zero mixers! Dead ringers for the Omnis but half the price.

I know Mojaxx liked the TRM-402, and when he loaned it to another DJ, that DJ ended up buying one. His name’s ShaunsterDJ if you want to see/hear one in action on his Twitch streams.

Yeah, Gear4music are knocking out that Omni TRM-202MK3 chassis under the SubZero brand for £199 with the same Alps faders in them. I have scrutinised the photos and can genuinely seen nothing different whatsoever (apart from the mic not having a label on but for under 200 quid that’s not a deal-breaker for me). It really is the same Chinese factory wholesaling them under different brands. Maybe Omnitronic got an 12 month exclusivity with it or something but it seems they are spot on for that price.

I saw Mojaxx drop the review of the 402 and he was impressed for what you got. I would drop the £20 on some wood paneling too…because… why not? :slight_smile:

Denon could do this :slight_smile:

Ou gee - this is how a bad mock-up looks like… please don’t… That can’t be even in the correct platter size…

it’s just the idea of not taking player and deck separately - 3 cases instead taking five :wink: