Mixer in key cue points with denon

I have analysed tracks using PN and MIK and incorporated into Denon Engine Prime software however having to have both apps(MIK,Engine)open so I can manually add cue points from MIK to Engine Prime and majority of the time things seem to mar up between the two(cue points,Bars…eg 9,17,33,65…etc) mind you thats also with Engine Primes auto analysis switched to off. Nevertheless it seems consistent enough(I think…I hope)as manually counting cue points on the practice fly isn’t really what I had in mind upon purchasing MIK.

Now I am reading re-writing the history books crap from some reddit user not only saying MIK cue points are not cue points in fact…and that phrases don’t necessarily end on the last beat of the bar in a phrase,start on the dropped 1 on the first beat of the bar of a phrase…saying phrases can start on synth lines and other things!? ■■■? So all those YouTube videos uploaded by DJ’s telling you otherwise is all BS then is it?

I don’t think so and the last thing I need to hear from reddit d…kheads is this garbage as I have done enough work as it is setting cue points manually according to MIK and 95% of the time they fall on bars as in the example above so I have no idea what this reddit “musical afficiado” is going on about? This reddidiot also says/thinks that you should only do all things DJ software/player related according solely to visual wavelength info and not a beatgrid? Ok so worse case scenario according to reddidiot musical afficiado is you must be within a hairline or so outside of a bar mark or your mixes are going to sound like s.it? I DJ EDM and that’s all so all is reliant on a beatgrid,bars phrases and cuepoints so reddidiot musical afficiado must be DJing country and western?

1 Like

Mixed in Key is a great tool. However, I recommend developing your own method for adding and managing cue points. Engine Prime also lets you name cue points (those names show up on the players).

Everyone has a different style of playing.

Hi @Trafford, thank for you post!

I’m going to respond with my personal DJ hat on here as I’m a big believer in prepping songs for performance to get the most out of the creative aspects DJ technology can provide. I follow (and used to professional teach) this 3 step process:

1 - ORGANISE

I use MiK to get the BPM and KEY and have this info written to the comments (I mainly use this as I organise all my music in iTunes), I will also at this point make sure all the metadata on the song is how I want it and add artwork etc. From here I will add to respective playlists. NB: I do not get MiK to add cue points, for me these are a very personal choice and I don’t trust a software program to add them where I want them.

2 - PREPARE

I will then open up Engine Prime and analyse the song, I double check the beat grid and then go to work adding cue points. I mostly use my ears to check where I want them and also use the bar count as a guide (be careful as some tracks will add bars in between phrases!). @JWiLL has offered a great quickstep solution to adding cues using EPs beat jump function which you can see in this tutorial:
How To: Convert Rekordbox to Engine PRIME & Prepare Tracks

3 - PERFORM

Play the tracks and be creative! The more you organise and prepare your songs the more creative features you will get out of the hardware - prep is king, creative DJing is top!

I hope this helps.

Regards Jay

1 Like

I usually don’t need up to 8 cue points and would have to double-check the ones MiK puts in anyway. So that is one function of MiK I don’t use.

So are we not able to retain the cue points set by MIK in engine Prime? Ive tried Serato, Rekordbox and prime itself and none of the cue points transfer over???

MIK has not added Engine Prime support to the software yet.

Yes we are, MOST tracks do come through, but you have to change your workflow a little.

Analyse the files in Serato BEFORE using MiK. Throw through MiK Update info in iTunes (just check that the Key/BPM etc is in the comments field) Go back to Serato, check the cues are there (for ease I now usually drag these to a Serato folder called New Import, which I clean up at the start each time) Now to Engine, do the Serato library update and then in the Serato section, go to the new files (in New Import for me). Analyse file and import track info then drag into a player and see if the cues are there.

I had to figure this out for AIFFs, I’ve never really had a problem with MP3s, though no amount of playing with some files puts the cues in, even if they are in Serato, but this is increasingly rare for me now).

If you are using Platinum Notes as well, I always do that first then follow the path above.

Yeah I probably should just add the cue points on the fly as the players save the cue points to the connected USB drive and just choose to manually set 2-3 cue points/adjust any beatgrid necessity as I really need to be more time on the players/DJ mixer than anything else really. Too much time spent manually working with the MIK/Denon software cue points alone in adding all these cue points is taking up /wasting too much time.

1 Like

In Engine Prime settings should auto analysis be on or off when following the method above?

It depends if you want the MiK key or the Engine key. TBF the Engine keys aren’t terribly dissimilar to MiK, the analyse is for the beat grids - the cues come in from reimport track info, but do this after the Serato import (might have forgot to put this step).

OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD OCD

Someone correct that title :joy::joy::joy::joy::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

You have no idea - I’m 3 years in (second time around) in correcting the meta data on my entire library. Used to be a lovely program called Trainspotter that did it, but having to use a combination of softwares now. Probably start again when it’s done…

Sorry I was actually using my small iPhone 8’s keypad for typing out my post… wow didn’t know recruiters were on here!

?? I don’t get it! And the OCD comment was a joke.