Midi Sync/Midi "START" question

I’m afraid i’m not reliant on the Start/Stop as for what i’m requiring, just a BPM value is adequate.

Can confirm that pressing the Midi button on the controller did stop (and then resume once pressed again) the midi signal, but that’s not of great use to you from what I understand you require.

Right. Did you attempt to force a device to start with the press of the MIDI button, just to see if it would work, or is your setup not possible for that type of test? I’m still awaiting some sort of word from Denon on this.

Thanks again.

The best I can give you info wise is:- whenI turned off the midi from the X1800 my bpm counter within Resolume dropped to 0. When I enabled it again it slowly rose to the bpm of the playing track.

Sorry I can’t give you anything else!

That’s fine. I appreciate the help! I’m really hoping the issue is resolved soon. I was going to purchase a second X1800 - to chain them together for 8 total audio feeds - but with the MIDI issue I’m sorta at a standstill, and looking at other possible solutions.

Instead of asking for hardware to have a specific midi output command, isn’t it possible to have a mapping created in the software that will start midi as soon as it recieves any midi command from hardware?

I have Live configured the same way I’ve always had Live configured - the same is true for the other pieces of hardware. They all “start” when I hit the appropriate button for any other master source. Just not the Denon X1800.

I’m open to suggestions I’ve missed, but so far no help from the Denon folks has arrived. Even if we figure out the workaround, the X1800 is supposed to send a “start” command when you hit the MIDI button and it seems to not be doing so.

Thanks for the help.

so is it possible to configure ableton to start as soon as midi bmp info is recieved or only midi start command can do that?

Yes, with M4L (Max for Live) or with MidiPipe: https://www.heise.de/download/product/midipipe-28614 MidiPipe can be programmed with applescript.

Only MIDI-Clock Start or Stop command starts and stops Ableton Live. You can start and stop Ableton Live with any MIDI controller, here a video of my beat-counter connected to Ableton Live and synchronized. The 8 buttons on the lower part of my beat-counter can send MIDI-statements. I can jump in the timeline 1bar or 8bar and start/stop Ableton Live.

The START command should originate from the mixer, when the user hits the MIDI button, as described in the manual. It is failing to do so. I have no other configs to make in Ableton. Every other piece of gear I own manages to send the command. It’s sad.

Not neccessarily, any MIDI-Clock Start or Stop signal can do it. You can route it in Ableton Live, go to Preferences (cmd;) and Link MIDI.

You can check the MIDI traffic with tools like MIDIMonitor or MidiPipe The X1800 mixer sends following MIDI signals by pressing the MIDI CLOCK button: MIDI on: From X1800 Prime Note On 16 F♯-1 127 MIDI off: From X1800 Prime Note Off 16 F♯-1 0

Ok, these are not the right messages used for start and stop but we can use MidiPipe to transform these commans into MIDI-Clock Start and Stop as a workaround.

I have done something similar for the DJM for a cueing problem I had with MidiPipe, MidiPipe can be programmed in Appletalk, here the code I wrote for the cueing problem:

on runme(message) – for Ableton Live cueing if (item 2 of message ≥ 70) and (item 2 of message ≤ 75) or (item 2 of message = 110) or (item 2 of message = 115) and (item 3 of message = 0) then set item 3 of message to 64 end if if (item 2 of message ≥ 10) and (item 2 of message ≤ 17) and (item 3 of message = 0) then set item 3 of message to 64 end if return message end runme

The only problem is that the mixer stops sending MIDI-Clock, when Ableton Live is beat-linked to MIDI-Clock (EXT top left in Ableton Live) and does not receive a MIDI-Clock it stops and cut the link to MIDI-Clock. The Mixer is sending out Active Sense, maybe this can be used to generate an continuously MIDI-Clock.

If you go to youtube and search for: Beat counter with 4 x Showtec Pixel Square 16 COB or Beat Counter with Cameo COB LED PIX BAR you will find my videos showing my beat-counter connected to Ableton Live.

Yeah, I suspected that something like that is possible. If a workaround is possible, I will always try it instead of waiting for a manufacturer to add a missing feature.

Ableton can “hear” tempo data, so if you start Ableton FIRST and then hit EXT, it will adjust tempo to match the signal from the X1800. The X1800 is not sending a start command at this time. Per Denon directly - “they are aware and they are working on this” so maybe we should put this thread to bed now.

It just took me awhile to get on the phone with the right person.

For now, your mixer should not be set up as the brain of your live external gear rig. Stay tuned!

2 Likes

I’ve had a check through this thread and cant see any mention of the Menu options in the X1800 being mentioned so far.

For those trying to get the various different parts of MIDI to talk, have you tried these options ? -:

MIDI: These are MIDI settings that determine the MIDI channels and connections used. o Clock Send: These settings determine whether or not X1800 Prime will send MIDI Clock messages over each of these connections. For each option, select On to enable transmission or Off to disable it.  USB: This applies to both USB Ports 1 and 2. If you are using X1800 Prime to control software, set this to On.

 5pin: This applies to the MIDI out.

o Active Send: These settings determine whether or not X1800 Prime will send normal MIDI messages over each of these connections. For each option, select On to enable transmission or Off to disable it.

 USB: This applies to both USB Ports 1 and 2. If you are using X1800 Prime to control software, set this to On.

 5pin: This applies to the MIDI out.

The settings are (and have been) configured correctly since day one. It’ just not working correctly.

Apparently they’re aware of it & are working on it.

Ok. I thought I’d mention it as there was nothing in the thread about those menu options so far.

I appreciate the help Gee. For sure. Ya never know if it’s just something simple we’ve overlooked.

BumP

Bumping this thread as I’d like to be able to do something similar with Maschine and or MPC.

I honestly thought MPC would of worked with Denon x1800 being that ‘InMusic’ own Denon DJ, AKAI Professional and Rane.

I find it hard to see how Denon DJ cannot calibrate with AKAI for MPC. It would be a huge 1uP over Pio’

MIDI sync is easy. Only the start seems to be a problem to be solved.

Now I use a Roland TR-8S. Sync is no problem. Tempo variations is no problem. Start needs to be done on the Roland. Only problem I experience is the slight out of beat sync. Could be my beat-grid; would like a metronome within Engine. Could be a MIDI signal delay.