Memory Cues / Visual Markers Feature Request

How can I get a request with the developers to please consider creating memory cues on Engine Prime. Same like Rekordbox has… A memory cue does not serve the same purpose of a hot cue and does not need to have a performance pad button assigned. It will bring great improvement to many people coming from Pioneer background and find Engine Prime frustrating. I bought a prime 4 2 days ago and as I imported a RB library or memory stick I noticed that it completely ignores memory cues, thus throwing out dozens of hours that I have invested in my preparation in RekordBox, I’m sure I’m not the only one with this problem. I’ve searched in the forum and there seems to be a few older posts that have been ignored by the engineers saying that it won’t import RB memory cues. I had to buy the Denon Conversion utility and get a Macbook to perform most of the import but if the track had more than 8 memory and hot cues, it just loses some and I also lose the colours on the memory cues… If you guys want to get serious with fighting Pioneer, this kind of stuff needs to be sorted. You know most clubs run Pioneer hardware and as such maintaining a RekordBox library is essential, if you have to in parallel maintain another one in EP is just a huge effort and people will end up taking the easiest path, which is give on Denon Hardware and stick to Pioneer. I would really like to start using my Prime 4 like I do my DDJ 1000, but at this time I can’t and I will eventually sell it, lose money and never look back to Denon again. Cheers

30 Likes

Memory cues are useless. Jumping to any of them in the Pioneer CDJ’s causes the music to stop, so has totally no sense.

2 Likes

Why do you dismiss my workflow as useless? I use them as visual markers, to mix in and mix out, to prepare my sets. Useless is to waste a hot cue as visual marker. In rekordbox I have some tracks with 8 or more memory cues and 8 hot cues for the creative mixing. How do you know you have to mix out of that song? You either learn all your songs by heart or you create a cue to remind you of that set you prepared and spent hours training. Using up a hot cue for a visual marker is for me a real waste

8 Likes

Memory cues are extremely useful on CDJs.

Hotcues on CDJ’s behave always as non gated and this can not be changed. We on Prime are spoiled because the Prime gear gives use a choice in the setting screen.

explanation: If a track is loaded in the deck, but paused on a CDJ, the track will ALWAYS start to play when you press a hotcue (=non gated).

Opposed to gated where the paused track plays for as long as the hotcue is pressed and stops playing the moment the hotcue is released (and the playback head jumps back to the beginning of the hotcue position). This is how most DJ software works, and can be set as a preference in Rekordbox, but not on a stand alone CDJ!

Memory cues are only “loaded” and available under the “CUE” button (the one above the Play/Pause button). This CUE button behaves as a gated hotcue for paused tracks! which is why on stand alone CDJs I have my hot cues and memory cues set identical.

Artists who only perform on CDJ’s will set certain cues and especially the “load cues” as memory cues, and not as hotcues. which enables some cue playing

And this is the reason why you see requests such as by @kluberboy to have their memory cues converted to Prime cues as well. Memory cues are ignored by both EP (reading an RB collection) and the players (reading a Rekordbox prepared CDJ USB).

6 Likes

There was a discussion about visual markers, that are independent from hot cues and loops. Look it up, maybe there will be more info on the development of this idea in Engine.

I prepare myself, listen the music I will play, so I know when to mix in and out if I want to (like many djs do)

That is the way of a pro dj - know Your library and tracks.

Yes, that’s why I use Hot cues as Hot cues, no visual markers.

Wow, thanks man, I never used a CDJ, even when I owned 3 sets of Nexus devices and played in the club on Nexus 2 setups… Thanks for explanation…

1 Like

hotcues can be used as visual markers too no?

Visual markers would be amazing and I would definitely consider those as a workaround. Maybe they could import RB memory cues to visual markers.

Don’t judge my workflow, I spend hours preparing sets and songs so I don’t have to learn all my songs by heart and I do know them, but think about it for a second, it takes the guess working out of your set, when you are under stress and need to do something else with your time other than counting bars and look at the waveform and guess if your mixing IN verse will match the mix OUT verse.

2 Likes

TIP: Load all new music on a usb stick and play it in the car. So before the weekend, You will know all songs. I don’t need to count bars or look at the display. I just listen for the good spot to mix in or out. Wave form displays are nice add on to be precise with some extras like slicer.

2 Likes

Yes, but it’s a waste of a performance pad for something that you don’t need to use as a hot cue.

1 Like

When the time comes that the content and “feel” of all of our files on our hard drives is ignored and replaced by a mix being “algorithmed” into place because the key, the bpm, the phase and genre all match, and headphones and music knowledge aren’t used or appreciated, then it’s a sad sad death of DJs and music and it’s then a hand over to The push button pressers and the mathematics. At that point it’s but a step away from the computers just stringing the files together that “match”.

I like the human touch in the sets and music. Thats why I learn my tracks, I listen to all the moments and remember where it is good to mix in and out. No visual indication is needed for this. If it sounds good - it will be good.

Sounding good, is called phrasing, and you can map the phrasing with cues 8 or 16 bars ahead of it to prepare your mix, making your life easy and your set sounding professional, always!

You’re sanitizing the human out of the art of DJ’ing, how boring.

Incidentally this is also why modern music is also bad, people trying to make a track “digitally perfect” and sanitizing the human element out.

No man, phrasing is how music is produced, once you nail it and understand how it works, your creativity explodes because you understand how music is produced and why that amazing mix you did sounds right, taking the guesswork out of your work, makes you better faster stronger :wink:

2 Likes

Personally I’ve got nothing against adding features that help a DJ’s workflow. I understand the visual reminders. We all used them on vinyl looking for the break of unknown tracks.

For me, it’s not science to play/mix well. Being oldskool, like NoiseRiser and JonnyXDA, I guess I just feel when to mix. No matter how many tracks my collection contains. However, we are way past a few record-boxes in the booth, so I understand Kluberboy also.

Again, nothing against the request. That’s why they’re here for and to discuss them.

I just liked watching Ayrton Senna more than Alain Prost. :wink:

7 Likes

Way way past. Gone are the days of buying 5/6 records during the week and “knowing” your music by the weekend.

This week alone with absolutely no gigs, still downloaded over 60 tracks.

Fine I’ve done this long enough as well to be able to mix in and out of an unknown track based on the “feels” aka phrasing. Modern music is like maths.

A DJs attention is way divided now, so anything to help folks should not be dismissed as rubbish.

I’m listening to mixes, testing stuff, learning OBS, maintain social media, discovering new tunes, regular job, still trying to raise a family and do normal stuff.

PS I never got the hang of using memory cues back when I owned a pair of CDJs. This was 7/8 years ago. But I know DJs who swear by it.

7 Likes

What he said. I have a day job and I do know my tracks fairly well but having a visual marker helps in a way that you know the mix is going to sound well because you practised at home… PS, I’ve been doing this for 20 years on and off, used vinyl, cds in the old rack Denons when they created the first cd MP3 reader and I own a DDJ 1000 and Prime4. I really like the Prime4 but there’s 2 big things letting it down, the software and the effects, but that’s another topic :laughing:

Takes away the nature of it all really. Like headphone mixing or standing around jiggling in front of an illuminated “checkerboard” all night, every night.

It’s like watching a train set go around and around a preset path, whereas mixing music by more natural means is more like the freedom of having a radio control drone instead. Mixing-by-numbers, no thanks.

You’re being nieve when you say that. What do you think you do when your mix sounds right? You’re mixing using maths, because that’s how music is created, if you choose to ignore it that’s up to you, but I want to have all the tools I can to make my set sound good every time. Do you think any big DJ plays by ear when they go play at a club or festival? Or they prepare a set in advance at home, set cues, practice, practice and practice? I used to write notes on my vinyls to make my life easier, this is the same but gone digital. If you can do a set with no cues, or visual aids whatsoever kudos to you, I could but I rather not because I have a day job.

1 Like