Match/Pair Tracks i.e. "Mixes Well With"

• What is the feature or ability you would like to have? The ability to match, pair, or in some way designate tracks that mix well together. This way, when playing a track, user-specified tracks that mix or transition well with the current track will be suggested.

This is especially important for tagging songs or routines that may not traditionally seem to match; perhaps the keys are not similar or the BPMs are way off, but by making a loop or using the slicer on certain word or phrase, it makes a natural segway into the other track.

• How will this feature help you and others? I do a lot of wordplay and cue juggling, so having the option to keep track of songs or cool transitions that have worked before would be really helpful. It would also keep me from using the same transitions every time because I see the songs I have designated that I know already work well

• Is this feature available in an existing product? If so, what product? Yes! Rekordbox has a “match tracks” button currently, and Traktor DJ 2 has a “pair tracks” button that will be avaliable soon.

• Does a workaround currently exist? No, unless you count building an excel document with my entire library and updating it and having to search. Yikes!

• How often would you use this feature? Probably every time I would be preparing for a set or playing live. I wouldn’t exclusively use this, but I’m sure during a gig I would call upon this list often to find good sounding transitions.

• Is there any additional information you’d like to add? Another cool feature could be that playcounts/histories would keep track of the songs that are most commonly played after a given song. Those could also be recommended.

11 Likes
2 Likes

I can not emphasize enough how badly I want this feature added to Engine. I just preordered a Prime 2 Go and I must admit that I got a little bummed when I realized Engine won’t have the Match Track feature like I use in Rekordbox currently. And that it won’t import my existing Matched tracks from Rekordbox. It’s an essential feature for organizing a large music collection. I don’t like to simply select a mix based on the fact that a track is in the same key or tempo. I judge and select mixes based on the feel of the mix when I hear it. And I love having the ability to click a button when I discover a mix I like and knowing that it will be remembered and suggested to me every time I play that track in the future. Thanks!

1 Like