Mastering a DJ mix in Audacity

I read somewhere to take it up to -0.1db

And that if converting to MP3 for uploading and sharing it drops a few dB

Is that correct?

Is “Maximizer” equivalent to “Amplify”

It’s a personal thing but I’d leave a bit more (-0.5 to -1dB). -0.1 is not leaving much “safety space”.

The results from converting will vary depending on what you use and the source & destination formats (which is why you need the margin). I’d suggest processing it, then doing a test conversion and looking at the results - load the converted file back in and see if the levels changed, and which way they went.

You can read up on maximizers via Google.

1 Like

MP3: safe side -3 dBFS

WAV or FLAC: near 0

2 Likes

Use the iPhone/pad to record. GarageBand recognizes USB mixers such as the x1850.

You can multitrack record on your phone and, if your mixer sends midi, you can record your xfader movements and whatever what else you’re using on the mixer.

You can do a little more this way but it takes time. Or just record your main mix and process it. GarageBand has all the basic tools for what you originally asked for.

1 Like

I try to make sure that I have a good, undistorted recording. Usually there is nothing that I have to do to a good recording, except (in rare occassions) add normalizing.

Also record & save the recording a 320kbps. Good luck bro!

Ehm, this needs to be here?

1 Like

In order to ‘master’ one first must record, no?

I know he was asking for advice using audacity. Just wanted to open up another view on how to master.

You can record your mix as is (macro) and tweak levels and eqs or you can capture your flow (micro) and tweak eqs, levels and the like on everything individually.

A good example of micro,

You recorded your mix already and wish you could of dropped the bass of outgoing track earlier. Maybe it might of happened a few times during your recording. Wouldn’t you like to know that there is a way to go back fix it?

At the end a good recording will give you a good master. That’s my advice for the op.

I think Mufasa knows how to record and your comment could be exactly placed on the link I suggested.

But if you feel it should be here; I’m not against any comments on the subject. :relieved:

1 Like

Forgive my og style of writing. :joy:

Thx @mufasa for giving me a like on my first reply

1 Like

Now if Denon offered us an app like Pioneer’s DJM-REC, that would be useful.

2 Likes

+1 for that.

:grin:

I believe I know how to record as well.

@ all

This is not about how to record but what I do with the recording after the fact in a simple and free program (audacity). Just a simple straightforward way to keep a recorded mix loud and punchy for uploading to Mixcloud.

So far I have learnt in this thread

1. Import into Audacity

2. Normalize to -1.0db (default settings in audacity)

3. Hard limiter to the quietest periods

4. Then Amplify to below 0 dB (eg -1 or -2)

5. Apply Compressor

That it?

IMO maximizer rather than compressor. They are different things.

I use Waves Ultramaximizer or iZoTope.

Look at the waveform and decide what threshold is suitable to stil have some dynamics.

Waves and iZotope here too, but LoudMax is pretty good for a freebie.

1 Like

Can audacity reverse phase of a track? If so you can quasi eq and do other things to your recorded mix. Just takes time and it’s all free btw

I’m using Fabfilter Pro L2 but it’s not free

Any tips regarding Your mastering procedure? I use LoudMax in step 5.

1 Like

I use it as well. Thanks to Google.