Mastering a DJ mix in Audacity

Any tips for mastering a dj mix in Audacity to make it sound good

I watched a few videos on YouTube and everyone have different approach

I’ve got questions with regards to

Compressor ?

Hard limit?

Amplify?

Use loudest part of the mix to limit or the quietest?

Define “good”.

Do you mean loud? You probably want to run it through a maximizer (i.e. LoudMax).

1 Like

Good =

nice loudness

Close to even levels through the mix :grin:

I use the loudest part or better said the loudest song. But for good results that way the mix needs to be pretty even in loudness from the beginning.

So you use the loudest part db to set the limiter?

What I would do is look at the complete waveform in Audacity (or similar) and see where the average level sits. If most of the mix is at -6dB, use that as your threshold. If you want it to pump a little more, make it -8dB etc.

Play the mix through the maximizer, adjust the parameters and listen.

If the music in your mix is already quite compressed, just use the maximizer/limiter to tidy up the peaks. If it’s older less compressed music, you can squish it more.

I have come across this approach as well

Thanks and keep the tips coming

I also would avoid taking it right up to 0dB. Leave a little headroom, because depending on what you’re going to do with it, converting formats can affect the levels.

I read somewhere to take it up to -0.1db

And that if converting to MP3 for uploading and sharing it drops a few dB

Is that correct?

Is “Maximizer” equivalent to “Amplify”

It’s a personal thing but I’d leave a bit more (-0.5 to -1dB). -0.1 is not leaving much “safety space”.

The results from converting will vary depending on what you use and the source & destination formats (which is why you need the margin). I’d suggest processing it, then doing a test conversion and looking at the results - load the converted file back in and see if the levels changed, and which way they went.

You can read up on maximizers via Google.

1 Like

MP3: safe side -3 dBFS

WAV or FLAC: near 0

2 Likes

Use the iPhone/pad to record. GarageBand recognizes USB mixers such as the x1850.

You can multitrack record on your phone and, if your mixer sends midi, you can record your xfader movements and whatever what else you’re using on the mixer.

You can do a little more this way but it takes time. Or just record your main mix and process it. GarageBand has all the basic tools for what you originally asked for.

1 Like

I try to make sure that I have a good, undistorted recording. Usually there is nothing that I have to do to a good recording, except (in rare occassions) add normalizing.

Also record & save the recording a 320kbps. Good luck bro!

Ehm, this needs to be here?

1 Like

In order to ‘master’ one first must record, no?

I know he was asking for advice using audacity. Just wanted to open up another view on how to master.

You can record your mix as is (macro) and tweak levels and eqs or you can capture your flow (micro) and tweak eqs, levels and the like on everything individually.

A good example of micro,

You recorded your mix already and wish you could of dropped the bass of outgoing track earlier. Maybe it might of happened a few times during your recording. Wouldn’t you like to know that there is a way to go back fix it?

At the end a good recording will give you a good master. That’s my advice for the op.

I think Mufasa knows how to record and your comment could be exactly placed on the link I suggested.

But if you feel it should be here; I’m not against any comments on the subject. :relieved:

1 Like

Forgive my og style of writing. :joy:

Thx @mufasa for giving me a like on my first reply

1 Like

Now if Denon offered us an app like Pioneer’s DJM-REC, that would be useful.

2 Likes

+1 for that.