Managing engine prime on external hard drive

Hey, I’m trying to figure out how to manage my songs library in engine prime to an external hard drive. Can this be done? How else would you manage 1.5 terabytes worth of songs?

Hello, I’m very frustrated. I cannot figure out how to import songs into engine prime and then onto the internal ssd drive attached to the prime 2. When I drag my songs into Engine prime it won’t import. Can someone please help?

Have you read the Engine Prime manual, and the Prime 2 manual?

You mention dragging your songs. From where? You shouldn’t need to drag. You can just add them through Engine Prime. What format are the songs? Certain protected formats (i.e. rented music) cannot be added.

Hi PKtheDJ, I’m trying to drag songs from my external drive to engine prime software so they can be analyzed and then my hope is to transfer them to the attached SSD drive inserted in the prime 2. These are mp3 files. Can you please describe how I can import songs into engine prime?

Read the manuals - that’s why they exist :slight_smile:

You need to provide as much detail as possible about exactly how you’re trying to import your tracks. Do you have an existing DJ database (Serato, Traktor etc)? Methods of import differ depending on where you’re importing from.

It’s all in the manual :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @djrez - Happy to help. To import music from a local file/drive you can drag the music to the Collections columns and start preparing your crates there.

To transfer music you would want to use the Sync Manager tool in Engine Prime. Through that feature you can “export” your music collections to a device. Here’s a quick video on how to do that: Engine PRIME v1.5 Software Update | Sync Manager, New BPM Detection, Track Preview + More! - YouTube

Here’s a quick video on importing music to Engine: Getting started with Denon DJ Engine Prime Software - A beginners guide! - YouTube

If you have any additional questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Hey Anthony, thanks for your help here. For some reason when dragging music from my external hard drive over to the collections tap they are all red. The only way I got it to work is by adding my music to the ssd drive that’s connected to the prime 2 and dragging them to the collections that way. Not sure if you understand what I mean.

This is the first time you’ve mentioned this important aspect.

If they’re red then Engine Prime can’t locate them in the directory it has stored in the database - so presumably you added them to EP previously and then moved them to another directory, or renamed them (without doing so via Engine Prime).

1. Connect the music external hard drive to laptop
  2. Open up Engine Prime
  3. Drag external drive Music folder to Engine prime collection
  4. After that is complete, do not eject the external
  5. Connect your target drive - the drive you will play with it
  6. Using Sync Manager or drag and drop from the collection to the target (the target drive will be located in drives panel)
  7. Once the target drive completes packing
  8. Eject it

You have to have the music external drive always connected to the laptop to use engine prime.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Ah, now the facts emerge. It seems he’s adding the files from the external to EP under the impression that it copies the files. Then he’s disconnecting the drive (resulting in red tracks).

If he’d given us a walkthrough of that at the start, it would’ve saved so much time. :roll_eyes:

PKtheDJ :

1. the guy never said he unplugged anything. Maybe stop trying to make everybody look stupid just because you didn’t understand the question.
  2. You really need to work on your social skills because every ppst I see you make a comment on in this forum is in such a belittling manner. You’re not the God of all things Denon, so maybe you should stop acting like an elitist.

Your behavior and the way you treat people on this form definitely makes users not want to come back and be talked to like trash by some scumbag who thinks he knows everything. Period.

Forum Moderators : Can we please put some moderation against this one particular user who’s consistently gaslighting, and belittling other users of the forum with his snide comments and his outright lies in attempt to make others look stupid. Please?

Thank you DJ_Lys_2. I agree he’s very rude and doesn’t even understand the issue going on.

…which is part of the issue. He didn’t say very much at all.

How do you know he didn’t unplug it? Did you ask him? Did he tell you personally that he didn’t disconnect the drive?

FYI mufasa was first to assume he’d unplugged the drive, not me. It makes sense if he’s getting red tracks in EP, so it’s likely that’s what he’s done.

No one’s trying to make others look stupid. The problem is caused by people not posting enough info for anyone to help. We’re having to take guesses and assume thing because the users are not providing the info.

Well it’s hard to do so when we’re having to guess what you’re doing. Did you unplug the drive after you dragged the files into EP?

Hey @djrez

Did @mufasa 's suggestion work? In regards to your files turning red it simply means that Engine can’t find the drive that the original files came from. If they are on the external HD, you’ll want to keep that HD connected. At any rate, let me know if this has been resolved so we can determine the solution. Otherwise, feel free to DM me and I can take a closer look.

To all: Let’s keep it civil. :wink: There are a mixed bag of users (amateur, pro, etc) on the forum. We’d love for the community to respect each other and also understand, context can be lost in text. Appreciate everyone’s feedback here nonetheless!

Hey Anthony, no unfortunately I wasn’t able to add songs from an external hard drive into prime engine. Without the hard drive bay installed I wouldn’t be able to operate the unit. So for anyone who is also stuck like me please transfer your music to the ssd bay that’s screwed inside the prime 2 and then drag into crates that way.

You should be able to use engine prime with an external collection drive

If it’s not working then it’s something to report and investigated.

My main music is a 4TB external drive.

No music in my Mac internal storage.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.