Low signal from analog outs on the SC5000?

Hello, everyone! First time poster here, I’ve had a couple SC5000s for a couple weeks, now.

I have them running to an Allen + Heath Xone96 using the RCA outs of the players and the signal seems kind of low compared to the signal coming from my M44-7 → SL1200. Is that just me with weird expectations coming back to digital deejaying after switching back to my records for over 10 years?

I love the players and am looking forward to seeing where Denon takes them with updates. Thanks, all!

Just adjust the gain inputs on the mixer channels per track as needed.

1 Like

Hmm. Do a lot of beginners frequent this forum?

1 Like

I haven’t noticed that on the digital PPD 9000 that can’t accept 96khz digital in, Mackie D4 (analog), or Xone 4D (analog). In fact, I’ve been recommending Denon DJ lower the processing volume by 6dB to give the players more headroom, and never noticed it being a particularly weak output… hence the reason it seemed a good idea if some tracks currently hit a limiter with Elastique. Where are you being forced to run the channel gain/trim knobs on the Xone 96? Consistently way past 3 o’clock? I haven’t used the 96 yet and the M44-7 is a fairly high-output cartridge even for a DJ one, but the 96 must have very different phono stages than the past analog Xones that had very insensitive and high capacitance phono inputs.

Yeah, the 96’s phono preamps are positively ferocious compared to the ones on the 92. I have the two channels I’m using for my tables at around 10:00 (drum n bass records, 12" 45s with one tune per side, generally).

For the SC5000s, i consistently have it running at nothing less than 1:00, sometimes around 4. It’s wild. It may be the files I’m using, but I hope not - they’re all purchased from legal channels.

Well, assuming you’re staying out of the top meter LEDs on the 96 on your least-compressed and most dynamic tracks that need all the oomph they can get, and probably better not intentionally going into the LED below it and leaving that for accidents (actually not a whole lot of LEDs over 0dBVu to work with on it, it looks like), I’d be curious if you ever run out of channel gain. It’s possible the Xone 96 knobs do increasingly more boost towards the end of their rightward rotation… a difference in curve.

When you have only one channel up, you’re running with that fader all the way up and no crossfader dip affecting it, correct?

If you do ever run out of channel gain/trim knob boost doing the above advice, you might need to find a new maximum peak on the Xone 96 metering to work within than what you’ve previously used… like only going up to +3dBVu on your most dynamic tracks, or even just up to zero.

I would also not be surprised if there was some way to increase the available gain in the 96 innards somewhere, like some jumpers or something… A&H has a history of that sort of thing.

When you have only one channel up, you’re running with that fader all the way up and no crossfader dip affecting it, correct?

Correct.

If you do ever run out of channel gain/trim knob boost doing the above advice, you might need to find a new maximum peak on the Xone 96 metering to work within than what you’ve previously used… like only going up to +3dBVu on your most dynamic tracks, or even just up to zero.

I haven’t run out of gain yet, but I’m a big fan of less gain.

I got you. Yeah, I’d say just run the 96 up to 0dBVu on most tracks and then leave the +3dB for dynamic tracks that sound quiet compared to others. It’s missing an LED or two to really run the meters much hotter, anyway, and still have good headroom management. If you’re not already doing this, it will allow you to run the gains lower.