Love 1.6 - One minor issue with beat grid

I only just installed 1.6 and I’m absolutely loving the update to beat grids. Ever since I switched from Pioneer to Denon a few months back I’ve tried setting beat grids for songs with varying bpm and it never worked. Now it does. My test song has generally been the Ultimix version of Michael Jackson’s Remember the Time. Most of the song is 108 bpm and then about 2/3 of the way in it changes to 118 bpm. I could never get the beat grid to reflect that before. Now I can.

Only 1 minor quibble. For some reason from the very first beat onward it shows 108 bpm as it should. From the bit where the speed changes it shows 118 bpm as it should. But before the starting beat it shows 99bpm. Now what the bpm shows before the first beat shouldn’t matter except that now the song is tagged with 99bpm which is way off when it comes to sorting lists of music. There doesn’t seem to be any way of manually changing the bpm tag when the track has an edited beat grid. I’ve attached a of screen shot

to illustrate.

Perhaps that value is in the tag of the file. Else I would strip the silence of the track.

I wouldn’t put a grid marker on the first beat.

I use the grid marker only from the second beat, in the extreme case; otherwise the first part of beats I align them by varying the BPM manually and then only when the BPM becomes variable, then I use the grid marker.

I just had the same issue with another song. Extended version of Mickey. The whole song is roughly the same bpm but like most songs without a drum machine it’s not quantised. Adjusting the beat grid foxes that. However there’s a bit of a sample at the start. Everything after that sample shows the song’s correct bpm (roughly 150). That brief sample before that shows 167. Now I know I could edit the beginning off so that the track starts right on the first beat but that really isn’t the best option.

So again it’s done a great job of adjusting the beat grid but messed up the bpm tag which showed the right bpm before adjusting the beat grid.

This is my method as well.

I only drop a anchor when the beatgrid start slipping.

The first downbeat is taken care of by just sliding the grid.

1 Like

I haven’t put any on the first beat. The only thing on the first beat is the cue point so that can’t be the problem. Now I’m looking a bit more it looks like it’s done the same to pretty much any track where I’ve adjusted the beat grid. Previously if I’d adjusted a 125 bpm track’s grid it showed 125 bpm in the tag. Now it might show anything from 120 to 130. It really make sorting by bpm useless.

That yellow beatgrid line is an anchor that was set by you? Beat 1

Try beatgridding the song again without manually dropping an anchor on the first downbeat, instead SLIDE over the automatically generated beatgrid to line up with the first downbeat

I don’t the same copy of Mickey but i did not have to drop an anchor till BAR 8 and BAR 9

1 Like

Thanks Mufasa :+1:, in fact I was referring to that beat anchor on number 1 that I had seen in the image you enlarged. In fact in the first image we can also see the time counter which indicates 00:00 so I assume that beat is actually in 1st beat and is not the position of the CUE, otherwise the time counter would indicate a value greater than 00:00.

Oh I see what you mean The reason I put an anchor point on the cue point is because if I didn’t, then the cue point would just snap on to the nearest beat which wasn’t in the right spot. I can’t find a way of putting the first beat where it’s supposed to be without putting in an anchor point. How do you put the first beat where it’s supposed to be without an anchor point? Like the example below. I’ve cued it up to where the first beat starts and you can see that the beat markers are off. If I click the cue button it just sticks it on the nearest beat marker. If I put an anchor point there, then everything before that anchor point seems to have some random bpm assigned which ends up being what shows in the bpm tag. If I could just manually edit the bpm tag to over-ride that it wouldn’t be a problem. In any case it’s not a problem I had before the update. I’ve got quite a few tracks that have the beat grid adjusted and before the update the problem wasn’t there. Now suddenly all the ones with the beat grid adjusted have the bpm tag out.

Using the two buttons to move the grid.

Click on the beat edit Menu use the arrow > to slide the grid until a whole number beatgrid eg 1 lines up with where you want it.

From that point on play the track

If you see it dropping then drop an anchor

@DJSteil just commissioned a tutorial for you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thanks. I’ll do it that way. Of course that will mean any tracks where I’ve adjusted the beat grid previously will have to be redone. I still don’t know why the update messes up the bpm tag for tracks done the way I did when it didn’t do that before.